Sprayed herbicide in the evening and then it rained this morning

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
akrug3
Grass Type: KBG, some fescue
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Sprayed herbicide in the evening and then it rained this morning

Post by akrug3 » July 25th, 2021, 1:35 pm

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with spraying herbicide in the evening when the dew is starting to form on the grass which is then followed up by unexpected morning rain showers.

I spent yesterday afternoon (a beautiful day) prepping to spray my lawn with a cocktail of Eliminate-D + Tenacity + Lesco Spreader Sticker. I started spraying around 6:30PM and finished around 7:30PM while dew was forming on the grass. I thought I would have at least the morning hours today for the herbicide to dry in to the lawn, but the forecast was off and it started to rain around 7AM followed by some heavy downpours around 10AM.

Any idea if the herbicide has to dry in for it to become effective? I know the label says do not irrigate or spray if rain is expected in the next 24 hours. I kind of figured I'd have close to that time-frame based on yesterday's forecast for today, but alas, that was not the case. I'm hoping the spreader sticker will help it "stick " around so it is absorbed.

If no one knows the answer, I guess time will tell me in the next few days and weeks!

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Re: Sprayed herbicide in the evening and then it rained this morning

Post by MorpheusPA » July 25th, 2021, 3:42 pm

You're fine. Absorption is within 3 hours. Dew is around 1 quart per 1,000 square feet or less, not enough to significantly dilute the herbicide. Tenacity is also root-effective, so it works even if immediately watered in. Eliminate-D is Dicamba and 2,4-D, neither of which are going to be hit by some dew.

Twelve hours was more than enough.

akrug3

Post by akrug3 » July 26th, 2021, 11:39 pm

Thanks MorpheusPA. Once again you are correct! It does look like some of the weeds sprayed are wilting. I'm happy to see it appears to be working. I'm just hoping it puts a dent in the Rose of Sharon seedlings that always seem to survive the mowings.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » July 27th, 2021, 1:23 am

Oh, well, Rose of Sharon...I can't promise anything there. :-)

northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

Post by northeastlawn » July 27th, 2021, 10:35 am

I have never heard of anything working on rose of Sharon seedlings. Your best bet is collecting the seed pods left behind after the flowers drop off.

Cutting them a few times usually does the trick, I wish I knew a pre-m or herbicide that worked on them.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » July 27th, 2021, 2:39 pm

Nuke them from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

akrug3

Post by akrug3 » July 27th, 2021, 4:14 pm

Unfortunately, they are all around the border of my yard and they flower and seed all through middle July into the fall. They are impossible to control and mowing the seedlings does no good. They are able to survive being cut low. It is amazing how many seeds they produce. When we had snow on the ground, I bumped into a few of them and there must have been a thousand seeds the fell on top of the white snow making them easy to see. I would rip them all out but my wife likes them. If anyone knows of a way to defeat the seedlings, please let me know.