Any chance that Chlorosulfuron comes back for turf use?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Any chance that Chlorosulfuron comes back for turf use?

Post by Green » July 28th, 2021, 3:59 pm

Looking at a listing of the various "Sulfurons" (Sulfonyl herbicides), the only one other than Sulfosulfuron that both decidedly kills Triv and is safe-ish on KBG, is Chlorosulfuron. As I understand it, it's non-registration for turf has nothing to do with the chemical or the environment, and everything to do with business. In fact, it has gone in and out of turf registration several times...it was registered at one point, then went out (before my time in lawn care). Then it came back. Then the name brand and generic were both discontinued (anyone remember Corsair?). It's still used for non-turf uses under a different name.

What is the chance that it comes back again one day? (Similar idea to the generic product "Sertay" recently bringing Sulfosulfuron back to the cool season turfmarket...but on a wider scale.)

After having success with Sulfosulfuron, I would not hesitate to experiment with spot treatments of Chlorosulfuron, even in a mixed lawn (who cares if it kills Fescue/Ryegrass...those are super easy to overseed with...it's the KBG I want to preserve as it's harder to seed with it). I would be especially interested if it turned out that the success rate was even better than that of Sulfosulfuron, and/or control was a bit less variable with it. Not sure that would be the case, but it would require experimentation...which would require a product once again labeled for turf.

Unless someone is still introducing new AIs in this category...(By category, I don't just mean ALS inhibitors generally, but more specifically Sulfonylurea agents.)

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Level: Advanced

Re: Any chance that Chlorosulfuron comes back for turf use?

Post by MorpheusPA » July 28th, 2021, 7:20 pm

It's hard to predict. Like you said, business. If somebody wants the label, they might. If not...maybe not. Since this has happened, it seems like a second reoccurrence is more likely than for something that has not happened, so there's certainly hope.

Think of it like trying to cancel Futurama. You can try, but...

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by turf_toes » July 28th, 2021, 8:44 pm

Green wrote:
July 28th, 2021, 3:59 pm
Looking at a listing of the various "Sulfurons" (Sulfonyl herbicides), the only one other than Sulfosulfuron that both decidedly kills Triv and is safe-ish on KBG, is Chlorosulfuron. As I understand it, it's non-registration for turf has nothing to do with the chemical or the environment, and everything to do with business. In fact, it has gone in and out of turf registration several times...it was registered at one point, then went out (before my time in lawn care). Then it came back. Then the name brand and generic were both discontinued (anyone remember Corsair?). It's still used for non-turf uses under a different name.

What is the chance that it comes back again one day? (Similar idea to the generic product "Sertay" recently bringing Sulfosulfuron back to the cool season turfmarket...but on a wider scale.)

After having success with Sulfosulfuron, I would not hesitate to experiment with spot treatments of Chlorosulfuron, even in a mixed lawn (who cares if it kills Fescue/Ryegrass...those are super easy to overseed with...it's the KBG I want to preserve as it's harder to seed with it). I would be especially interested if it turned out that the success rate was even better than that of Sulfosulfuron, and/or control was a bit less variable with it. Not sure that would be the case, but it would require experimentation...which would require a product once again labeled for turf.

Unless someone is still introducing new AIs in this category...(By category, I don't just mean ALS inhibitors generally, but more specifically Sulfonylurea agents.)
Corsair never worked on Triv.

I have it. (Corsair) I wish it did work.

It works great to get rid of contractor-grade seed that gets thrown down when the town works on the curbs and gutters.

Green

Post by Green » July 28th, 2021, 10:45 pm

Interesting. So, it sounds like we are lucky we still have the better of the two AIs--arguably--for use against Triv, in Sulfosulfuron.

Some say Sulfosulfuron didn't work well for them against Triv. For me, it has worked pretty well, and I prefer it to Roundup when possible...better to hurt my TTTF and kill some of it and knock the KBG out dormant...versus kill everything. That said, glyphosate is oddly satisfying to use because I know that with 3 apps in Spring, I'm getting 90% or better of the Triv I spray.

Here's to more interest in Sulfonyl herbicides...I think they are pretty good, overall, and with Certainty I'm always amazed how much of the good grass eventually recovers (even TTTF).

So, in summary, it sounds like we aren't losing anything important (as far as Triv control) without having Chlorosulfuron on the current turf market.

bazilbrush
Grass Type: Dead
Level: Some Experience

Post by bazilbrush » July 29th, 2021, 8:40 am

Green, what time of year do you hit the Triv with Certainty? I think the label mentions after Memorial Day for general use, though Triv seems to be most active and noticeable in Spring.

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by turf_toes » July 29th, 2021, 9:46 am

bazilbrush wrote:
July 29th, 2021, 8:40 am
Green, what time of year do you hit the Triv with Certainty? I think the label mentions after Memorial Day for general use, though Triv seems to be most active and noticeable in Spring.
Probably worth noting that treating cool season lawns with certainty is no longer on label for the product.

Green

Post by Green » July 31st, 2021, 2:24 pm

It's not, but there is a new branded generic coming out that once again has cool-season turf on the label. (Patent for Certainty must have run out recently, or something.) Anyway, it's called "Sertay", and is in the process of gaining registration in various states. The label is available from the manufacturer's site (Atticus), and is word-for-word identical to the old Certainty label. Hopefully it'll be available in approved states by next Spring for those looking to try it. I haven't seen it available for sale yet.

That said, I personally still have the old-label stuff, and I find mid Spring (May) is about right in my area. Wait too long, and it starts going dormant. I only spot-spray (or soemtimes blanket spray extremely infested areas if more damage is tolerable). It's not 100%...glyphosate is actually my preferred tool for this purpose, since it's almost 100% effective if done well and at the right times.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » July 31st, 2021, 11:18 pm

I still have my old Certainty and it still works. With the old label, which is technically no longer valid in my state. And therefore technically cannot be used.

I actually don't use it. It's pretty harsh on bluegrass, and a fine line between "harsh" and "oops."