fescue vs. quackgrass

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
redleader74
Grass Type: tall & fine fescue blend
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

fescue vs. quackgrass

Post by redleader74 » July 28th, 2021, 6:55 pm

I've been doing quackgrass treatment on my lawn for a couple of months now, while there's been some success there's now also dead patches around my lawn. I'm intending to overseed soon and am trying to pick the right seed. Here's what my lawn is currently comprised of

I'm also realizing that a lot of what it might be thinking is quackgrass is actually thick clumping fescue, which, from what I've read, can be undesirable to some (and certainly is to me). If I'm correct, can't figure out if this is just something that has made its way into my lawn like the quack or if it was part of my original sod blend. Either way, how I can I tell? And what should I use for overseeding?

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Re: fescue vs. quackgrass

Post by bpgreen » July 28th, 2021, 10:32 pm

That doesn't give much information on what's in it. K31 is in a lot of drought and it's a wide bladed, clumping tall fescue. It also tends to grow faster than many other turf grasses, so it can stick out.

If you can post some pictures, including closeups, somebody here might be able to help. I can find it in my lawn, but I'm not sure I could do it from pictures.

redleader74
Grass Type: tall & fine fescue blend
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: fescue vs. quackgrass

Post by redleader74 » August 5th, 2021, 5:17 pm

Here are some photos. As you can see there are some clumpy growths. It looks like the clumps that form around quackgrass but there's no long stem seed heads so I'm assuming it isn't quackgrass. All of the bare/brown spots are either: casualties from the Roundup quackgrass treatment, sod lines from last year's installation that never went away, or just random dead patches. I do see what I think are the fine fescues intermingled in there.