Grub curative timing

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
jcb3030
Grass Type: Tall Fescue
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Grub curative timing

Post by jcb3030 » July 30th, 2021, 8:25 pm

I've had grubs destroy parts of my lawn for the last several years. And I forgot to put down something preventative this spring.

When can I put down something curative? I need to plan ahead as I don't have irrigation and will be on vacation in parts of August.

As far as what to use, I see Lowes has something with Dylox. That should work, correct?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/BAYER-ADVANCED ... er/3353712

Thanks!

jcb3030

Re: Grub curative timing

Post by jcb3030 » July 31st, 2021, 12:33 am

I forgot to note that I'm in NJ.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » July 31st, 2021, 3:56 pm

The Bayer with Dylox would be great. As to when, it's when (and if) you have a problem. That's going to vary. A lot.

Generally, grubs will be hatched and active very, very late in August or early in September, but it varies by rainfall and temperature. They won't hatch in dry spells, as a general rule, for example.

And as to whether you require this or not is another question. Generally, unless there are more than 10 grubs per square foot, the answer is "No." They won't do enough damage to be worth killing. The one year I killed them, the count was "countless," I literally couldn't count the number of grubs per square foot before they squirmed underground to avoid the light; I was in the thirties and the turf was floating free like new sod.

The argument NOT to use Dylox is that it'll kill all the good grubs and insects as well--fireflies, ground bees like the docile bumblebees that fertilize flowers and crops, and all the tiny insects that consume the thatch in your lawn and return it to the surface as fertilizer. So unless you have to, don't apply it.

jcb3030

Post by jcb3030 » July 31st, 2021, 6:31 pm

Thanks, Morph.

You're saying not to apply until I see there's a definite problem.

But I've had grub problems for 5+ years (I always forget to do a preventative in spring). I was hoping to get the curative down early this time as I see no reason to think I won't have a problem again this year. I know waiting too long can make the kill a lot less effective as those buggers get bigger.

On top of which I'll be away for the last week of August.
So is maybe putting down Dylox the 3rd week of August a decent guess? Or maybe the first week of Sept?

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » July 31st, 2021, 6:39 pm

Hard to tell. The reason is that you shouldn't until you do have a problem--at which time the grubs have all hatched. If you do it too early, you might have to do it twice, which isn't great for you, the lawn, or the environment. Dylox is pretty toxic.