Bayer to Discontinue RoundUp Sales in US?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Bayer to Discontinue RoundUp Sales in US?

Post by andy10917 » August 1st, 2021, 9:53 am

It's so hard to read any article about RoundUp, as everything is quite polar about the product.

But it appears that Bayer is going to discontinue the sales of the RoundUp product to residential consumers in the US, according to several articles published at the very end of July.

bolson32
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Bayer to Discontinue RoundUp Sales in US?

Post by bolson32 » August 1st, 2021, 12:04 pm

I assume generic glycophosphate will still be available?

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.

Post by turf_toes » August 1st, 2021, 12:36 pm

Yeah. I expect the generic will still be available. I don’t think there’s danger that it’s going away anytime soon.

Frankly, the way the company has marketed the “roundup” name is mystifying to me.

Are they discontinuing the Roundup product that’s just a broadleaf weed killer or the broad spectrum product?

They’ve muddied the water when it comes to the brand and frankly, I wonder how many consumers purchased the wrong product because of the way they’ve handled the brand.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by MorpheusPA » August 1st, 2021, 1:00 pm

Yeah, I need more data. Andy, can you link the article?

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Level: Experienced

Post by ken-n-nancy » August 9th, 2021, 9:08 pm

I don't know which specific article(s) Andy read, but most of the ones I've seen appear to have been derived from this July 29th press release from Bayer, who purchased Monsanto in 2018.

A key sentence is near the end of the press release, which says that "the company and its partners will replace its glyphosate-based products in the U.S. residential Lawn & Garden market with new formulations that rely on alternative active ingredients beginning in 2023."

The article also notes that "This move is being made exclusively to manage litigation risk and not because of any safety concerns. As the vast majority of claims in the litigation come from Lawn & Garden market users, this action largely eliminates the primary source of future claims beyond an assumed latency period. There will be no change in the availability of the company’s glyphosate formulations in the U.S. professional and agricultural markets."

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.

Post by turf_toes » August 10th, 2021, 10:14 pm

So more than likely, you’ll be able to find it at Site One. But you won’t find it at HD or Lowe’s.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG

Post by MorpheusPA » August 10th, 2021, 10:53 pm

And you'll certainly be able to order glyphosate online.

Note that glyphosate, by itself, is extremely slow. Round Up adds dicamba, which speeds it up amazingly. You might wait a week to see results from just glyphosate.