Micro snails everywhere

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Vintagestrat
Grass Type: Kentucky bluegrass
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Micro snails everywhere

Post by Vintagestrat » October 9th, 2021, 10:55 am

First post in a long time. Fall is here and the lawn is looking fabulous. I have a question regarding thousands of tiny land snails congregating on the driveway and sidewalk near the lawn after heavy rains. So many of them crunching under my feet which I initially mistook for pebbles. On closer examination they appear to be snail shells, some empty and some with snails in them. They are of different shapes with elongated shells predominating. I’ve never seen anything like this before. Anyone experienced this before? Are they beneficial to the soil? Sign of healthy lawn? I’ll attach pics.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Re: Micro snails everywhere

Post by MorpheusPA » October 9th, 2021, 3:09 pm

They're snails. They feed on plants, and are usually a sign of...well, snails. While part of a healthy ecosystem, excessive snails can consume plants you want.

If they're not, don't worry about them. They're not known for eating lawns (too much silicon!), so shouldn't be too much of an issue there unless the snail is starving. Point in fact, they tend to eat a lot of things that are weeds in lawns, so...

If they become overwhelming, Sluggo or EscarGo can be used. Scatter it around the area where the snails (works for slugs, too) are seen. They eat it, crawl off, and die. But if they're not a bother and not eating your gardens, you can safely ignore them.