Slugs?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Hammbone81
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Experienced

Slugs?

Post by Hammbone81 » October 14th, 2021, 8:17 am

For the first time ever I have slugs in my lawn (the Phylum Mollusca kind, not F=ma kind).

Are they considered harmful or undesirable?

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Re: Slugs?

Post by MorpheusPA » October 14th, 2021, 5:14 pm

They can be. Slugs and snails don't usually eat mature grasses except as a last resort due to the silica, but they'll happily consume your gardens and some shrubs. And they'll lay eggs for next year to eat those gardens.

So if you have things that slugs will consume, get rid of them. Sluggo or EscarGo works beautifully (I use Sluggo myself). If it's just lawn, you can ignore them unless they're causing damage.

Hammbone81
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Experienced

Re: Slugs?

Post by Hammbone81 » October 17th, 2021, 9:54 pm

MorpheusPA wrote:
October 14th, 2021, 5:14 pm
They can be. Slugs and snails don't usually eat mature grasses except as a last resort due to the silica, but they'll happily consume your gardens and some shrubs. And they'll lay eggs for next year to eat those gardens.

So if you have things that slugs will consume, get rid of them. Sluggo or EscarGo works beautifully (I use Sluggo myself). If it's just lawn, you can ignore them unless they're causing damage.
Thanks Morph. They're just in the lawn on the east side of the house. This is our first year with a new house behind us, a taller house with a half basement on a hill (so it seems super tall)... the point is, it casts quite a shadow in the mornings, then that area is shades again by afternoon from out house. Also, this is year 1 for us with irrigation, so I'm sure the soil stays more damp there than ever before.