Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Envieddesigns
Grass Type: Kentucky bluegrass, Rye, fine fescue
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Rust disease yearly

Post by Envieddesigns » October 14th, 2021, 7:53 pm

Good evening all,
So I have been getting rust disease year round. This year it hit me in early spring and now again in the fall. I just treated with propiconazole.
Any reason why I would be getting it every year?
I know now that the weathers gotten cooler there’s dew in the morning and we get a humid day in between which can be lead to it.
Sept 9th I brought her down to 2” aerated and dethatched, overseeded, threw down Milo and Jonathan greens love your soil.
I’m wondering if Jonathan’s love your soil product would cause it since I use it in the spring and fall and that’s when I run into this rust disease.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Re: Rust disease yearly

Post by MorpheusPA » October 15th, 2021, 5:35 pm

I also get it every year (in fall) when sunlight is reduced, temperatures drop, humidity rises, and conditions are right.

It's pretty normal. Unless it's severe and damaging the lawn, ignore it.

Here's a photo of the back's rust issue. The front gets rust and powdery mildew.

Envieddesigns

Post by Envieddesigns » October 15th, 2021, 9:51 pm

Thanks Morph,
So you just let that run its course? Yours is a lot more obvious than what my lawns currently looking like.
I only spotted it while walking close up to it. Actually a week or two ago I noticed my mowers deck had that brownish dust on its sides and I thought hmm rust somewhere? Then I thought maybe just from the time I mowed low prior to aerating stirred up some dirt but I guess not.
I had let some other fungus run course on my backyard this spring and it turned areas to crap so as soon as I saw this I got on the defense an sprayed it. I thought since the stuff spreads if I just leave it be an go on mowing normally I would just continue to spread it front & back and it would never go away.
I guess it’s just the circle of life but in my 14 years living here the past two or three have been cumbersome with rust.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » October 15th, 2021, 11:31 pm

It's incredibly obvious. The dog's paws are covered in rust. My shoes are covered in rust. The little robot mower you see there has a black deck coated in rust.

It doesn't do any apparent damage in the time it's there, and doesn't get any worse than what you see. Very, very bad rust can thin out a lawn, but mine never gets to that point. So I write it off as "yearly cycle" and ignore it; it'll be gone by November when the freeze/thaw cycle is underway.

Usually, anti-fungals aren't necessary. A light spray of soapy water will take it out.

Envieddesigns

Post by Envieddesigns » October 16th, 2021, 7:44 am

Noted, & TY.

edslawn
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by edslawn » October 17th, 2021, 8:41 am

MorpheusPA wrote:
October 15th, 2021, 11:31 pm
It's incredibly obvious. The dog's paws are covered in rust. My shoes are covered in rust. The little robot mower you see there has a black deck coated in rust.

It doesn't do any apparent damage in the time it's there, and doesn't get any worse than what you see. Very, very bad rust can thin out a lawn, but mine never gets to that point. So I write it off as "yearly cycle" and ignore it; it'll be gone by November when the freeze/thaw cycle is underway.

Usually, anti-fungals aren't necessary. A light spray of soapy water will take it out.
Do you think that would Serenade help with this?

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » October 17th, 2021, 11:24 am

Probably. I've never tried since rust isn't particularly damaging and I didn't want to fiddle with the natural cycle and invite a worse problem!

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Level: Experienced

Post by Green » October 17th, 2021, 7:27 pm

I have not found Serenade to help, so I recently bought Sonata (very similar; also by Bayer, but targeted specifically for rust and powdery mildew). Only done one app so far, so no results to report yet.

Last Fall had rust so bad that it thinned out the grass, necessitating an overseed with a (hopefully) less susceptible cultivar this Spring.

Smolenski7

Post by Smolenski7 » November 4th, 2021, 9:33 pm

Green wrote:
October 17th, 2021, 7:27 pm
I have not found Serenade to help, so I recently bought Sonata (very similar; also by Bayer, but targeted specifically for rust and powdery mildew). Only done one app so far, so no results to report yet.

Last Fall had rust so bad that it thinned out the grass, necessitating an overseed with a (hopefully) less susceptible cultivar this Spring.
So, did the Sonata work?

edslawn
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by edslawn » November 5th, 2021, 1:50 pm

Smolenski7 wrote:
November 4th, 2021, 9:33 pm
So, did the Sonata work?
+1

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Level: Experienced

Post by Green » November 30th, 2021, 6:06 pm

Did the Sonata work? Maybe. I can't conclude anything at this point, other than that one time-targeted app of Propiconazole, an app or two of Sonata as part of a larger season-long biofungicide program (still hoping to get in a final Sonata app, too as the previous was over 6 weeks ago), the Fall aggressive fertilizer regimen, adequate Potassium fertilization, and bag mowing when disease is present...have all apparently made a huge dent in it. Things look much better than last year.