Nu-Film requires daylight...?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Nu-Film requires daylight...?

Post by Green » October 24th, 2021, 11:54 pm

I've been using Nu-Film 17 in my Sonata Biofungicide applications (for rust disease). The label states that daylight is needed for the product to cure, but they don't mention intensity or duration. Sometimes you have to apply right before it starts to get dark, like I did today. I wonder if the product will be effective without light.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Level: Advanced

Re: Nu-Film requires daylight...?

Post by MorpheusPA » October 25th, 2021, 1:56 pm

If it were anybody else but you (and a few others), I'd counsel against use due to the toxicity to humans, but I know you're wearing the correct PPE. For those thinking about this, if you don't know what PPE is, don't use this stuff. :-)

They do give you some hints: "Under most conditions, apply sprays containing MILLER NU FILM 17 at least one hour, during daylight, before an anticipated rain. Sunlight, direct or indirect, for this time period is needed for
the film to set."

I'd say that one hour before sunset, in shade, would be...probably a little trim. Bluer light is what tends to knock the electrons off the binding agents. They're telling us this is a terpene (a terpenic polymer), which is not really telling us much; basically, it's a pine tar (chemists, please stop gagging, I know), but it doesn't specify the binding energy of the bond, so I can't tell you the photon energy necessary to kick the electron off. I work with a number of things that require sunlight or a close analog to set, and tend to just use 400nm violet/UVA. 60 watts sets stuff in seconds to minutes that take an hour in sunlight.

Yeah, I know, shut up and dance. For before-sunset, I'd say give it two hours. Twilight tends to be dim and red--all the green and shorter light is scattered out for blue sky over the land 2,000 miles west of you.

Unless it rained, whatever didn't drip off just set the next morning. Any stray photons from moonlight (1/100,000th sunlight at full moon, identical spectrum minus absorption) or lamps or whatnot may have helped a wee bit. What set the evening before helped hold the damp stuff in place, too, like a partially-set soap or custard.

Green

Post by Green » October 25th, 2021, 3:49 pm

Super toxic, huh? I really should get some of those P95 or P100 masks ASAP after all. I've been using the "single use" N95s and letting them air out between use and then cleaning any dust out with a squeeze blower before the next use. Maybe I should go full face, too, with cartridges, rather than the disposable ones.

Shhh... the first few times I used the stuff a couple of years ago (and roundup back then, too), I didn't know what a respirator mask was.

During the worst of the pandemic, I couldn't get N95s, so I didn't use Nu-Film.

Also, i used safety glasses last night instead of my UVEX lab goggles. I'm currently dealing with some eye issues, so that might have been not the greatest idea.

I also finally got rubber overboots this year.

What level of PPE would you use?

And, it did rain last night...

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » October 25th, 2021, 5:39 pm

Not so very toxic that I'd go nuts, but a dust mask, yes. And eye covering. Long pants and shirt. The label details not to get it on skin and to thoroughly wash clothes it gets on (mostly because, in sunlight, those are going to get kind of...stiff).

Safety glasses should be just fine, but I tend to head for the goggles. However, if that's problematic at the moment, I have no objection as long as you used something.

If it rained? You probably did lose quite a lot of the stuff, but some certainly did stick.

Green

Post by Green » October 25th, 2021, 6:06 pm

That's how I dress when I spray. And of course gloves. I don't freak out if a little of it gets on my pants...they're outdoor pants anyway.

I've been meaning to try to upgrade to the P95 masks for spraying, if I can find some. I think it's time. My PPE has gotten better over the last few years, and continues to.

Anytime I can get away without the Nu-Film (e.g. no rain forecast for a good 5 days or so) I omit it, because I'm not crazy about the stuff (I suspected it was kind of toxic, since it's like a Terpene).

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » October 26th, 2021, 7:02 am

Not all terpenes are toxic (see orange juice if it contains any peel at all) in reasonable quantities. Some add flavor. You'll get my limonene when you pry it from my cold, dead hands.

I'll never criticize more PPE over less. :-) I look like I'm heading for the Moon when I work with concentrated lye.

Green

Post by Green » May 21st, 2022, 11:26 pm

Morph,

Did my first Biofungicide/NuFilm spray for this year. I think I've gotten the hang of getting it to set.

I may have sprayed over some weeds I'm trying to control by accident. You think the pine gunk film will totally block uptake of subsequent herbicide apps until it either wears off or the coated part gets replaced by new growth?

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » May 22nd, 2022, 1:31 am

Yes. That stuff is, effectively, the equivalent of a plastic raincoat. :-) It's not perfect, but it'll reduce absorption of herbicides.

Green

Post by Green » May 22nd, 2022, 5:58 pm

Hmm. This may be a useful trick for blocking herbicide uptake...

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » May 23rd, 2022, 1:38 pm

Don't rely on it too much. You'd need very good coverage to block Weed B Gon or Round Up and that's unlikely. Modest coverage should do for Tenacity on merely moderately sensitive plants, though.