Getting rid of weeds in young lawn

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Derek_33
Grass Type: Tall fescue, kentucky bluegrass, rye
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Getting rid of weeds in young lawn

Post by Derek_33 » October 28th, 2021, 7:20 pm

Hello friends! So my wife and I just bought a new to us home and I am pretty positive no one has grown actual turf here since it was built in the early 70's. Long story short I seeded a mix of TTTF and KGB but did not use any kind of pre emergent or Tenacity. Now I'm a little over 35 days after planting with about 4 mows on the yard and its coming in very well except for the broadleaf weeds, nutsedge, etc. My question being is there anything I can use on my lawn to help out with the weeds without murdering my turf? I tested a " safe for lawn" weed killer in a small spot and while it did kill the clover it also killed my turf.

flyin-lowe
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 2 acre-5 acre
Level: Some Experience

Re: Getting rid of weeds in young lawn

Post by flyin-lowe » November 4th, 2021, 5:27 pm

When you say you seeded did you do a complete reno or just over seed. If it was an overseed, what height are you mowing? I did an overseed on September 17th and did not spray it at all this fall. Ill wait until spring. I just didn't trust it will be established enough to handle weed killer. Most stuff is dying off this time of year anyway. Especially the KBG. It is possible you just now have that stuff coming up, especially with a fall overseed and cool temps.

edslawn
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Re: Getting rid of weeds in young lawn

Post by edslawn » November 5th, 2021, 1:42 pm

Derek_33 wrote:
October 28th, 2021, 7:20 pm
Hello friends! So my wife and I just bought a new to us home and I am pretty positive no one has grown actual turf here since it was built in the early 70's. Long story short I seeded a mix of TTTF and KGB but did not use any kind of pre emergent or Tenacity. Now I'm a little over 35 days after planting with about 4 mows on the yard and its coming in very well except for the broadleaf weeds, nutsedge, etc. My question being is there anything I can use on my lawn to help out with the weeds without murdering my turf? I tested a " safe for lawn" weed killer in a small spot and while it did kill the clover it also killed my turf.
I agree with @flyin-lowe. Also, I'd recommend that you focus on a final winterizing application (see link), and the pre-emergent (e.g. prodiamine) that you plan to in the spring and be ready to apply when the forsythia blooms. These two things will give you the most bang for the buck until you get a spring soil test and plan in place.

Winterizing: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15109
Pre-M: https://aroundtheyard.com/index.php?opt ... Itemid=117