2022: What Did You Do On Your Lawn Today?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: 2022: What Did You Do On Your Lawn Today?

Post by Green » November 28th, 2022, 7:05 pm

11/26/22: Did my final planned mow at roughly 3 in (but will consider mowing once more if a window of opportunity occurs). And put down the rest of my Winterizer fertilizer application.

11/27/22: Got 0.4 inch of rain

11/28: Gutters cleaned out

edslawn
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by edslawn » November 28th, 2022, 9:46 pm

bpgreen wrote:
November 25th, 2022, 11:28 pm
edslawn wrote:
November 25th, 2022, 6:44 pm
bpgreen wrote:
November 22nd, 2022, 1:46 am
I made a batch of beer and spread the spent grains on the lawn.
who cares about the lawn ;) ...what kind of beer did you make and how did it turn out?
It was sort of a mystery beer. I bought some grains called Wundergrains. These are mixed grains resulting from various errors. So you never know what they're going o be. I used 10 lbs of wundergrains and 5 lbs of victory malt. I used nugget hops for bittering and callista for flavor/aroma.

It came out pretty dark, so it will probably be a hoppy stout or porter or a black IPA.

I won't know how it turns out for a while.

It's in the fermenter now. I'll keg it in about 3 weeks and tap it a few weeks after that (largely depending on when the keg(s) before that empty.
Nice! Thanks for the details, and let us know how it turns out.

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000

Post by bpgreen » November 29th, 2022, 1:39 am

edslawn wrote:
November 28th, 2022, 9:46 pm
bpgreen wrote:
November 25th, 2022, 11:28 pm
edslawn wrote:
November 25th, 2022, 6:44 pm

who cares about the lawn ;) ...what kind of beer did you make and how did it turn out?
It was sort of a mystery beer. I bought some grains called Wundergrains. These are mixed grains resulting from various errors. So you never know what they're going o be. I used 10 lbs of wundergrains and 5 lbs of victory malt. I used nugget hops for bittering and callista for flavor/aroma.

It came out pretty dark, so it will probably be a hoppy stout or porter or a black IPA.

I won't know how it turns out for a while.

It's in the fermenter now. I'll keg it in about 3 weeks and tap it a few weeks after that (largely depending on when the keg(s) before that empty.
Nice! Thanks for the details, and let us know how it turns out.
I'll try to remember. I just tapped a similar beer, and it's not bad. I'm currently mashing the last of my wundergrains (I'm lazy and do an overnight mash). This batch is also pretty dark.

I brewed pretty regularly for a while to avoid going to the liquor store during the worst of the pandemic. Then I got out of the habit. Now that I'm retired, it's a lot easier to fit in a brew day.

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both

Post by bpgreen » November 29th, 2022, 1:41 am

I think I'll start a new thread for home brewing.

bpgreen

Post by bpgreen » November 30th, 2022, 2:01 am

More what I didn't do.

Snow was forecast, but then it's supposed to warm up.

So I did nothing. The snow was lake effect snow. It may be there until spring.

I should have thrown down some seed.

pristinegreen75
Grass Type: Bluegrass in back, Northern mix in front
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by pristinegreen75 » December 3rd, 2022, 11:28 am

Mowed yesterday. took off about 3/8 " I might have to cut one more time. The grass growth has slowed a lot but it has been very mild here. I'm usually done with the last cut by now but we shall see.

bauer time
Grass Type: TTTF/KBG mix
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by bauer time » December 5th, 2022, 8:22 am

I made my last cut yesterday even if I have a bit of growth after the fact. Too busy the next few weeks so I decided thats a wrap. Going to drop winterizer in the next few days before rainfall.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)

Post by Green » December 6th, 2022, 11:21 pm

12/6/22: One final mow to clean everything up. The rain is ridiculous lately. Abnormally dry should be over any day.

Aether
Grass Type: Tall Fescue

Post by Aether » December 7th, 2022, 8:08 am

Grass grew enough for a season final cut.

bpgreen

Post by bpgreen » December 8th, 2022, 2:06 am

Spread spent grains from my last brew day. It was a while, so there was some mold.

paulr
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by paulr » December 8th, 2022, 4:26 pm

Western Mass: I mowed today!! Latest I've mowed ever except for that one super warm spell we had in late Dec / early Jan a few years back where it hit 60-70 for a few days.
Maybe there actually is something to all this Global warming talk? :o
Full disclosure, I did the Urea lock up dump about a month ago when there was still a little bit of top growth, but still, usually this time of year I am dead and dormant. Oh and my last height wasn't as low as I wanted, I was probably at 2.75" before mowing. I tried 2.25" on the deck but it was too much and throwing clumps out the chute. Settled at 2.5", that may be where she stays. But.... Now I'm green and sputtering along growing, every night we get a frost the wife walks the dog, frost injures the grass, leaves dead footprints and I have to yell at her! :o
Maybe a negative to the late Urea dump is continued growth if it turns warm, and in turn frost injury?
:ugeek:
Paul

edslawn

Post by edslawn » December 9th, 2022, 7:58 pm

paulr wrote:
December 8th, 2022, 4:26 pm
Western Mass: I mowed today!! Latest I've mowed ever except for that one super warm spell we had in late Dec / early Jan a few years back where it hit 60-70 for a few days.
Maybe there actually is something to all this Global warming talk? :o
Full disclosure, I did the Urea lock up dump about a month ago when there was still a little bit of top growth, but still, usually this time of year I am dead and dormant. Oh and my last height wasn't as low as I wanted, I was probably at 2.75" before mowing. I tried 2.25" on the deck but it was too much and throwing clumps out the chute. Settled at 2.5", that may be where she stays. But.... Now I'm green and sputtering along growing, every night we get a frost the wife walks the dog, frost injures the grass, leaves dead footprints and I have to yell at her! :o
Maybe a negative to the late Urea dump is continued growth if it turns warm, and in turn frost injury?
:ugeek:
Paul
My guess is that you will know in the spring if you hit the urea just right or a little too early. My read of the fall nitro plan indicates that you are better late than early. I put down urea (in south central PA) on Nov 25th and it looks about right. My focus was to be a little late and not early, so hopefully I got it right. Anyhow, I'm sure that you are fine.

edslawn

Post by edslawn » December 17th, 2022, 7:09 pm

Winter changeover on the tractor

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » January 1st, 2023, 12:02 pm

Topic locked - please use 2023 version of this thread