PGR (generic Primo) available in small bottles again

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

PGR (generic Primo) available in small bottles again

Post by Green » January 7th, 2022, 11:34 pm

Years ago on here, we talked about availability of 8oz bottles of Trinexapac-ethyl, but they were discontinued after while by whatever manufacturer made them. Now after some years of mostly or only gallon bottles on the market another brand has 8oz bottles. It has actually been available for a couple of years at least, under the following brand: Pramaxis MEC made by Atticus. It's 11.3% AI. For those of us only using small quantities of PGR, this is ideal. I used it last year. Worked great. Hope this helps someone out.

Green

Re: PGR (generic Primo) available in small bottles again

Post by Green » April 30th, 2022, 1:22 am

Update:

Now the name brand Primo Maxx by Syngenta is available in small bottles at retail, too. However it's (as expected) about double the cost versus the generic.

-Pramaxis MEC (8oz) is currently around $40.

-Primo Maxx (4oz) is currently around $40.
(for half the amount of concentrate)

This is good, though, as there are several current options for those who don't need large quantities of PGR.

Green

Post by Green » May 1st, 2022, 12:07 am

Pretty sure PGR is one of those chemicals that doesn't keep well for years and years.

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity

Post by ken-n-nancy » May 1st, 2022, 7:03 am

Thanks, Green, for the update on availability of "generic Primo" (plant growth regulator).

Wow, that stuff is still expensive, though! Hopefully the price will continue to come down with the generic available. Looking at application rates, it seems that the rate for KBG is 0.60 fl oz per application per 1000 sqft. That means that an 8 oz bottle for around $40.00 treats about 13.3 thousand square feet for $40. With our lawn being about 12.5ksqft, that is roughly $40 per application, which seems like it would basically be about $40/month.

Green

Post by Green » May 1st, 2022, 3:31 pm

I use half the label rate, just to slow it down. I'm not trying to almost stop the growth. So, it goes further. I also don't use it everywhere. So I'm basically in a low rate, small lawn situation. I might go through 8oz per year.