Haven't kept up with the lawn..but I'm Back..Suggestions?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
dantis496
Grass Type: Front: Northern Mix Back: Elite KBG Blend
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Haven't kept up with the lawn..but I'm Back..Suggestions?

Post by dantis496 » May 4th, 2022, 11:58 am

Hi All,

Past couple of years I did not keep up with things after I did an overseed of my back lawn (KBG) and it exploded with Triv. Basically got discouraged.

This year I was able to get Baystate fert again and applied Prodiamine for the first time last month.

Now for a plan for the Fall. I am going to do an overspray of Tenacity this week and 2 weeks from now, then again early fall to hopefully improve things a little.

My question: What do you suggest for seed for an overseed in early fall in my KGB? Not a full reno, just spreading seed with rotary. (Yes, I realize germination rate will not be as good etc.) Strictly KBG again or a KBG/RYE mix? I have irrigation and need to thicken things up.

Thank you

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Haven't kept up with the lawn..but I'm Back..Suggestions?

Post by turf_toes » May 4th, 2022, 1:54 pm

What we suggest isn’t as important as what you want and value.

This isn’t a thing you can outsource to someone else. I might value something that you don’t or vice versa.

Many here value the uniform height of cut you can get with a monoculture of a single grass type. Others value genetic diversity over aesthetics.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Re: Haven't kept up with the lawn..but I'm Back..Suggestions?

Post by MorpheusPA » May 4th, 2022, 3:00 pm

What he said. In my case, I'm so color-sensitive that mono-species is the way to go. I now wish I'd gone all Midnight types because even the differential between Bedazzled and Midnight II drives me nuts--I can accept the risk of disease or insect problems because, as noted, I'm incredibly sensitive to color changes. I'll notice it long before it becomes a major issue.

I doubt most people would even see the difference. To me, it's glaring.

If a certain range of color is important, then choose the grass that fits in that range. I like bluegrass' blue-green, and the elite's dark end of the spectrum. But there's tons of other choices, right up to chartreuse (which I personally detest).

For disease resistance, some cultivars or species can be chosen to resist a particular disease (or insect) that's a problem for you.

I use a robot to cut, and cut constantly (it maintains more than mows, really) so cut consistency is unimportant; it'll always be cut at 3.5"-3.65". If that's critical to you, go with a monoculture. If not, mixing species is OK (or get a lawn robot that will keep even mixed species from being shaggy).