Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Adam_M
Grass Type: Midnight, Bewitched, Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

KBG Color Differences

Post by Adam_M » May 11th, 2022, 12:41 pm

Hi!

A portion of my lawn which has, with the exception of the first 2 years after planting, underperformed/died finally made it through the summer of 2021 after being replanted in 2020.

As the lawn has finally fully woken up, the color difference between the 2016-seeded area and the 2020-seeded areas are quite apparent, with the 2020 seeding being quite a bit lighter. They are the same cultivars in the same ratios.

How long does it take for the full genetic color to express?

Anything else I can to do help the color? The soil in the area is worse, but not drastically so per a Logan test, so we decided to not treat it differently. pH is high, so I have and will continue to drop Milo for the iron. The the stark dividing line between new and old is more of what concerns me as the color differences sticks out.

Thanks!

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Re: KBG Color Differences

Post by MorpheusPA » May 11th, 2022, 1:53 pm

It does take a year or three for the color to really catch up, although by fall it should be close enough not to stick out too much. How much really depends on your sensitivity to color.

This is the first week the lawn color looks good to me, with most areas being relatively consistent. Prior to this, not all of it was consistently awake. But I'm hypersensitive to color differences...

By all means, feed in May with Milo. It can't hurt.

Hammbone81
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Experienced

Post by Hammbone81 » May 12th, 2022, 8:33 am

I'm having a similar experience right now. I allowed the kids to put up a 10ft pool in 2020. I was reluctant, but 7yr old daughter said "you can regrow grass Dad! You can't regrow memories."

Anyway, that spot has been replanted with some "psuedo-elite" cultivars, whereas the rest of the lawn was spec house sod. My point is, the pool spit has better grass. However, it is not as dark as the rest of the lawn yet and it's 18+mo old.

PSU4ME
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Midnight/Everglade Back: Midnight/Diva/Everest
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by PSU4ME » May 12th, 2022, 8:56 am

My two year old patch starts off lighter but then it blends once it starts to soak in the fert. Kinda alarming because I’m initially like “oh no, triv!” But after a few cuts it balances out.