Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
southern-ct-4
Grass Type: PR/FF/KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Yeah, another possible triv question... :(

Post by southern-ct-4 » May 13th, 2022, 1:54 pm

More triv?

I seem to have all of these different looking, bad grasses growing this spring :(

This stuff just popped up. I didn't notice it a few days ago, and it certainly wasn't there (or noticeable) last weekend when I was spraying nearby areas (which have since lit up) with Tenacity.

Masbustelo
Grass Type: Mazama KBG
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Re: Yeah, another possible triv question... :(

Post by Masbustelo » May 13th, 2022, 7:55 pm

What about letting it grow a little taller and then applying roundup using cotton gloves?

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Level: Experienced

Post by Green » May 13th, 2022, 10:27 pm

Yes, those latest photos are what I call coarse Poa Triv. The good news is, either Roundup or Certainty will take care of it after a few apps. I have areas that look identical and am hearing up to use Certainty where it's interwoven. Sometimes the good grass (especially if you have Fescues in your mix) thins out a lot and needs an overseed in the late Summer after doing so. If so, so be it. At least it kills all or most of the Triv.

Masbustelo, I was thinking the same the other day. I have a patch marked to do just that...going to wipe it with a paper towel dipped in glyphosate.

umbo514
Grass Type: Northern Mix

Post by umbo514 » May 14th, 2022, 9:35 pm

For what it’s worth… I have the same in my yard. I went after it with glyphosate, by painting all I could. A week or so later it looked really stressed… and then went to seed! I dont know if because it was stressed it sent out a last chance but it’s making me go crazy!

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Post by bpgreen » May 14th, 2022, 10:07 pm

I've read that plants will put out lots of seeds when they're dying as a sort of defense measure, but that there's a good chance most of those seeds won't be viable.

I don't know where or when I read it, and I don't know how much truth there is to that. So take it with a grain of salt.