Triv and Japanese Stiltgrass

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Adam_M
Grass Type: Midnight, Bewitched, Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Triv and Japanese Stiltgrass

Post by Adam_M » May 17th, 2022, 8:28 pm

I've got an area of my yard that has both the nicest grass in my yard and also the most triv and some Japanese stiltgrass. I'll probably nuke it this fall if I have to, but I'd really rather not...

I lit up the triv last week - it is starting to bleach but not totally there yet, and painted it with Roundup today - quite easy with a cotton (and underlying non-permeable) glove. It grows so much faster than the KBG. I didn't RU all the triv though, especially the stuff that didn't massively outgrow the KBG.

So, Certainty. I've done it before and I'm doing it again. It always hurts the triv but hasn't killed it and the KBG pulls through just fine with careful application in my particular situation. So I may go from the .5, .25, .25 oz/A regimen I've tried to .5, .5, and ... .5 oz/a again if I have to, with the thought that I may be replanting this in the fall. I wouldn't even consider this if I hadn't used it for the past couple years and proven to myself that I can apply it accurately enough and that the KBG recovers reliably at the lower dose.

The stiltgrass is just starting to show its ugly head, and Acclaim will deal with it. I'm concerned about what Acclaim will do to the already sick grass though. Has anyone tried it? I'm not particularly inclined to mess with Certainty + other things (and certainly not in the same app/week) on KBG, but I'd be curious to know if anyone has gone there. I'll probably hit a small test patch in any case so I know if the situation comes up again.

Thanks!

edslawn
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Re: Triv and Japanese Stiltgrass

Post by edslawn » May 18th, 2022, 6:57 am

I had a substantial amount of stiltgrass last year and acclaim seemed to work well. So far it is under control. Why not let the grass recover, see how you did on the triv and hit the stilgrass later?

Adam_M
Grass Type: Midnight, Bewitched, Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Re: Triv and Japanese Stiltgrass

Post by Adam_M » May 18th, 2022, 8:00 am

The triv regimen is likely going to take me though about the end of July + another month or so for the grass to recover, so I wouldn't be hitting the Stiltgrass until August, at which point it'll be quite prominent. I have little baby stiltgrass now, ands I'll have mature stiltgrass then.

I'm not ruling out waiting by any means either, was just sourcing opinions on how foolish the combination would be.