Best time for fall overseeding in Annapolis, MD?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Turk
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Best time for fall overseeding in Annapolis, MD?

Post by Turk » June 30th, 2022, 12:53 pm

I'm trying to figure out the optimal time to do my fall overseeding with TTTF (including Rebel V and Rebel XLR) to fix some bare spots that used to be infested with weeds (some areas have some residual bermudagrass I'm controlling with Bayer Acclaim), and some hilly areas that got washed out during overseeding last year.

I've read some suggestions for mid-August; but the seed manufacturer (Rebels) states optimal germination is "when soil temperatures near 60 to 65 degrees Fahrenheit. For fall seeding, wait for soil to cool to this range."

https://www.therebels.com/resources/how ... l%20Timing

According to GreenCast, the soil temperature didn't hit 60-65 until mid-late September.
https://www.greencastonline.com/tools/soil-temperature

What say you? Wait till September? Seems it would be improved germination, less weed competition, and less risk of washout from summer thunderstorms.

I'm also wondering how that will affect my Pre-M schedule and if I should throw down a little bit right now to get through August.

Thanks.

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Best time for fall overseeding in Annapolis, MD?

Post by turf_toes » July 1st, 2022, 8:57 am

Not a fan of online soil temperature sites. There’s far too many local variables to make the sites reliable for any particular person.

You’ll know better than any single person or site online about the best timing for your area.

The goal is to give the new grass enough time to get established before the ground freezes up.

I used to live in southeastern Pennsylvania about five miles from the Maryland border (literally the Mason-Dixon Line). I would always drop seed on my renovations the week of August 15.

northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

Post by northeastlawn » July 1st, 2022, 2:38 pm

You basically work backwards from the last day you want the new seed growing on its own. The key points to consider.....

1.) It will take 14-21 days for TTTF come up
2.) Spraying tenacity will buy you about 30 days of weed protection while your seeding and poa-a wants to germinate for next year
3.) There is a thing called sprout and pout, and you can expect TTTF to take about 20-30 days before it starts really growing on its own
4.) because of this, you should wait about 30 days after germination before you put down fertilizer (many ppl break this rule)

In my area, If leaves start falling off your trees around October 14th.......

Aug 1st start lowering the cut of your grass, by no more than a third, cut lower and lower every 4-5 days
Aug 14th - seed Down, begin watering 3-4 times a day
Sept 1st - TTTF seed starting to come up
Sept. 14t - Grass should be out of Germination phase, time to taper off the watering
October 1st Hopefully your out of sprout and pout, I usually drop weekly fast acting fertlizer until oct 20th for my area
(I realize I broke the 30 days rule for fertilization, but I assume a lot of the new grass germinated by Sept. 1st)
October 14th leaves start falling and its starting to get cold, raking leaves will take out the new grass
October 21st last day I will chance fast acting fertilizer.

I know I broke some of the above rules, but just wanted to illustrate why August 14th isn't as early as it seems. the above gives me 3 fertlizer apps in October to thicken up the new grass.

Once you get two cuts out of the new grass some time around mid September you can apply Dimension pre-m to fight off all the poa-a you just gave a head start to by overseeing. Its actually an important thing to get in.

If you seed with PR (germinates even quicker and has almost no sprout and pout phase), you could get the pre-m down sooner. If you put down KBG the sprout and pout is even longer.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » July 2nd, 2022, 2:08 pm

Yeah, you do what you can in terms of temperatures. I do use the sites (I'm a data junkie), but realize that the accuracy leaves something to be desired.

For Annapolis, August 15 isn't a bad date to choose. August 20th is also completely acceptable (the Saturday following, chosen intentionally for that reason). August 13th also works flawlessly. As long as the seed stays damp, it simply waits for the correct temperatures to sprout, so if nights don't work out sooner, they will later.

Turk
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by Turk » July 5th, 2022, 12:18 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions.

What is this rule about about waiting 30 days after germination before you put down fertilizer? It seems that since many people break the rule, I can still stick with around September 1 (or maybe push it back a week) for fertilizer application (per Morpheus' recommendation based on my soil test)?

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=27058

Note I also plan on using Tenacity as PreM same day and an application of Bayer Acclaim Extra for bermudagrass control (or maybe day before) before seeding.

Thanks again, Turk.

Wally
Grass Type: Northern Mix

Post by Wally » July 16th, 2022, 7:53 am

Turf in MD grows up to December, doesn't it? . August is still blasting hot. September seems good to me. TTTF sprouts in a week.

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.

Post by turf_toes » July 16th, 2022, 1:09 pm

It’s Annapolis, Md. just like in Jersey, coastal areas tend to be cooler than interior parts of the state.

For what it’s worth, my PA turf (five miles from Maryland grew into January some years.

I still renovated The week of August 15, for all dozen or so renovations I’ve done.

pkn92

Post by pkn92 » July 24th, 2022, 4:14 pm

I'm in Towson, and I'm actually thinking about starting my lawn renovation project toward the end of this week, August 1st. This heat wave will end and I'm waiting for long term weather forecast. In my experience, earlier you start and more established lawn is before first freeze in October, you'll have better success.