Beast time to overseed TTTF in the south?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Rkolarich15
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Novice

Beast time to overseed TTTF in the south?

Post by Rkolarich15 » August 4th, 2022, 12:17 pm

I will be overseeding with TTTF and The soil temperature here in Tennessee does not reach 70 degrees until mid-late September but last year our first frost was October 24th. I thought the grass needs 50-60 days before the first frost to maintain. I have also heard that I should not plant new seed until soil temperatures get down to at least 70 degrees. If I were to do that though the new grass would only have about a month before the first frost. In the month of August the soil temperature stays at about 80 degrees. I was wondering, with that information, when would be the best time for me to overseed?

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Beast time to overseed TTTF in the south?

Post by turf_toes » August 4th, 2022, 12:33 pm

I’d not worry about first frost so much. Generally, a single frost won’t kill grass that’s six weeks old.

Your primary concern should be hard freeze of your soil.

All that said, if it were my lawn, I’d probably drop seed the last week of August. That’s assuming you have irrigation and can keep the seed bed moist during the time of this project.

Rkolarich15
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Novice

Post by Rkolarich15 » August 13th, 2022, 10:18 am

turf_toes wrote:
August 4th, 2022, 12:33 pm
I’d not worry about first frost so much. Generally, a single frost won’t kill grass that’s six weeks old.

Your primary concern should be hard freeze of your soil.

All that said, if it were my lawn, I’d probably drop seed the last week of August. That’s assuming you have irrigation and can keep the seed bed moist during the time of this project.
Thank you so much! This is very helpful

newhomeowner
Grass Type: Fescue
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Not Specified

Post by newhomeowner » October 16th, 2023, 11:37 pm

Resurrecting an old thread...

Given the heat here in Raleigh, NC, how does everyone keep new seedlings healthy if you start overseeding in late August? Have irrigation, but worried about keeping seedlings alive in 90+ degree weather, and fungus too!

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by Green » December 4th, 2023, 5:52 pm

In my area, mid to late August (up to early Sept. for non-KBG) is usually best. In talking with a lot of members from TN, NC, Southern VA, etc., I've concluded that those areas are usually offset from mine by one full month in Fall in terms of weather. In other words, everything weather and plant-wise happens about a month later. So, depending on the exact area, mid Sept. should be a safe bet for you, and is when many people overseed there. Your September is more like our August.