Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Riverpilot
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Urea source

Post by Riverpilot » August 25th, 2022, 12:56 pm

Hello all,

For those in the Quad Cities area, anyone having luck sourcing urea 46-0-0 this year?
SiteOne is empty. DK wants $50 a bag (sigh). I can't find any co-op that will sell to a non-farmer..

Appreciate the help.

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Urea source

Post by turf_toes » August 25th, 2022, 1:36 pm

Try searching for feed stores, not coop

https://www.google.com/search?q=quad+ci ... e&ie=UTF-8

Riverpilot

Post by Riverpilot » August 25th, 2022, 2:36 pm

Thanks for the help. I did find one new store that sells food grade urea 46-0-0 for $25.
I've never tried food grade before. Is the difference prill size, or ??

I use a handheld spreader due to needing less than 5lbs of urea per application.

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.

Post by turf_toes » August 25th, 2022, 2:40 pm

I use feed grade every year. The prill size can vary even for feed grade. I’ve used large and small prill sizes with great success. If you prefer smaller, you can ask for it. But for me, adjusting the spreader meant prill size didn’t really matter.

Ymmv.

Feed grade tends to be significantly cheaper. My costs tend to be $14-to-$17 for a 50 pound bag. That’s much cheaper than buying it as fertilizer.

The big difference for me is the packaging. The feedgrade stuff in my area tends to come in a reinforced paper-based package, not plastic. (Though, now that I think of it, it did come in a plastic bag one year.)

Riverpilot

Post by Riverpilot » August 25th, 2022, 2:49 pm

Thank you very much Turf. I really appreciate the help. I've also found out they sell all different kinds of soybean meal, and a new source of cracked corn for me!

I could have sworn I've looked for feed stores before and came up empty, but... :shrug: Thanks again!

Masbustelo
Grass Type: Mazama KBG
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by Masbustelo » August 27th, 2022, 9:22 pm

Riverpilot, Ford and Sons in Geneseo have Urea.

Riverpilot

Post by Riverpilot » August 30th, 2022, 8:21 pm

Masbustelo wrote:
August 27th, 2022, 9:22 pm
Riverpilot, Ford and Sons in Geneseo have Urea.
Thanks for the suggestion. A bit of a drive, but at least another source if needed.

dhou
Grass Type: Not Sure
Level: Novice

Post by dhou » September 9th, 2022, 4:42 pm

Urea is strangely hard to source in NH but at the local feed store its $39.99 for a 50# bag of 46-0-0 this year. Quite the price increase from years past!

flyin-lowe
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 2 acre-5 acre

Post by flyin-lowe » September 10th, 2022, 8:27 am

Curious if there is any difference at all when using the food grade stuff v the regular stuff in a winter app?

turf_toes

Post by turf_toes » September 10th, 2022, 8:32 am

None at all. Sometimes the prill size can be larger. But the feed grade can also come in smaller prill sizes.

But I’m assuming you meant “winterizer” application, not Winter application. There’s no reason at all to apply urea in the dead of winter.

turf_toes

Post by turf_toes » September 10th, 2022, 8:37 am

dhou wrote:
September 9th, 2022, 4:42 pm
Urea is strangely hard to source in NH but at the local feed store its $39.99 for a 50# bag of 46-0-0 this year. Quite the price increase from years past!
It’s a little more expensive from my source, this year. ($26 for a 50 pound bag). But the fertilizer grade stuff is coming in at $70. So it’s a huge price difference. I’d never buy anything but feed grade urea.

Riverpilot

Post by Riverpilot » September 10th, 2022, 2:11 pm

Yep, the price is definitely up this year. I have enough left over where I could just apply to my front and side yards, skip the back which would allow me enough for this year.... but, I'm going with the new source and feed grade urea this year. I'm not paying $50+ for a bag of urea.

I haven't made it over to pick up yet, but I'm definitely going to see what else is around. May end up with more than just urea, especially if the prices are better than SiteOne.

dhou
Grass Type: Not Sure
Level: Novice

Post by dhou » September 12th, 2022, 12:01 pm

turf_toes wrote:
September 10th, 2022, 8:37 am
dhou wrote:
September 9th, 2022, 4:42 pm
It’s a little more expensive from my source, this year. ($26 for a 50 pound bag). But the fertilizer grade stuff is coming in at $70. So it’s a huge price difference. I’d never buy anything but feed grade urea.
$70?!?! Yikes - I'll count my blessings then! Lol.

turf_toes

Post by turf_toes » September 12th, 2022, 2:33 pm

Riverpilot wrote:
September 10th, 2022, 2:11 pm
Yep, the price is definitely up this year. I have enough left over where I could just apply to my front and side yards, skip the back which would allow me enough for this year.... but, I'm going with the new source and feed grade urea this year. I'm not paying $50+ for a bag of urea.

I haven't made it over to pick up yet, but I'm definitely going to see what else is around. May end up with more than just urea, especially if the prices are better than SiteOne.
Feed grade urea is always cheaper than Fertilzer-labeled Urea (though it is chemically the same thing)

You’ll not find any lawncare sight selling urea as cheap as you’ll find it in a feed store.

flyin-lowe

Post by flyin-lowe » September 13th, 2022, 9:43 pm

I am curious if anyone around me has food grade. I just called it the winter application because around here it is usually "winter" when I put down my last application of the year. Seems to be mid to late November when ground temps get right.

turf_toes

Post by turf_toes » September 13th, 2022, 9:54 pm

Feed grade is the more common term. It’s feed for animals.

Try googling “feed mills in (fill in your area)”

Your location is only set to Indiana. That’s a pretty wide net to cast. But here is that search link

https://www.google.com/search?q=feedmills+in+Indiana

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both

Post by bpgreen » September 13th, 2022, 10:38 pm

If I remember correctly, there's a difference between feed grade and food grade. Feed grade is approved to feed to animals, and food grade is approved to feed to people. I think the grades are (in order): fertilizer/commercial, feed, cosmetic, food, pharmaceutical.

I've bought cosmetic grade urea to add to lotions (really helps eczema), but I've never seen food or pharmaceutical grade urea.

flyin-lowe

Post by flyin-lowe » September 14th, 2022, 11:28 am

I have a friend who works at some local coop. He is going to check and see if there is any food grade in the area. I was surprised it is cheaper than the regular stuff. Curious to see what kind of prices I find locally. Due to the size of the yard I treat I had planned on skipping my late application due to cost....

turf_toes

Post by turf_toes » September 14th, 2022, 4:25 pm

You’ll get better results searching for feed grade. You’ll get even better results searching at feed mills and not coops. (There are simply more feed mills in most areas and it’s a staple for feeding livestock). You’ll also, in most cases, get better prices.

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both

Post by bpgreen » September 15th, 2022, 12:35 am

turf_toes wrote:
September 14th, 2022, 4:25 pm
You’ll get better results searching for feed grade. You’ll get even better results searching at feed mills and not coops. (There are simply more feed mills in most areas and it’s a staple for feeding livestock). You’ll also, in most cases, get better prices.
This.

Cosmetic grade urea is kind of a specialty item and usually sold in ounces or pounds. I've never seen food grade urea.