Sprayer vs. Spreader?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
philcav7
Grass Type: Hogan Blend TTTF
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Sprayer vs. Spreader?

Post by philcav7 » September 14th, 2022, 10:59 pm

What’s your preferred application method?

Most of my chemicals are liquid and I use a pump sprayer, however, all of my fertilizer has gone in the spreader. I beginning to think I may start running liquid/soluable fertilizers.

Just curious of any pros/cons of various treatments (pre-m, herbicides, fungicides, bio’s, fertilizers) being sprayed vs. spread?

Clearly some products are only available in one form, but for products offered in both granules or liquid, do you have preferences?

flyin-lowe
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 2 acre-5 acre
Level: Some Experience

Re: Sprayer vs. Spreader?

Post by flyin-lowe » September 16th, 2022, 10:01 pm

I have both. I have found weed killers usually work better for me from my sprayer and fertilizers work better in granular form. I have several acres I treat so I have both in pull behind units.

northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

Post by northeastlawn » September 17th, 2022, 10:06 pm

It’s almost always cheaper to buy a concentrate and mix it yourself. Of course that also means your spraying it, which can be difficult if you have a large area.

For products that are absorbed through the grass blades spraying is better, good examples are herbicides and a lot fungicides. I used to use Scott’s disease ex because it was cheap, but I discovered this year the more expensive concentrate that you spray onto the leaves works much better.

When people are afraid to mix it themselves, Or the area is to large, that is when some people go for the granular products.

philcav7
Grass Type: Hogan Blend TTTF
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by philcav7 » September 18th, 2022, 10:08 pm

I agree cost is a huge consideration/variable for many applications. For example, I normally use grubex each year. It’s about $30/5K coverage. Today, I ordered a concentrated imidacloprid powder that will cover 40K for $32. That’s a significant savings.

In my small lawn, I think liquid offers greater control & accuracy. This is why I’m thinking to get away from granular products when possible. I just wasn’t sure if anyone has found improved efficacy or benefits one way or the other.

Trying to figure out fertilizer. Specifically potassium. There’s a few powdered products available but I’m not sure how soluble they are and how tank mixes will play out.

Hammbone81
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Experienced

Post by Hammbone81 » September 25th, 2022, 11:42 pm

With all due respect; I don't think the question is valid. It's like asking "hammer vs wrench"?

I need both a spreader and a sprayer.

My spreader is used for fertilizers (lots of organic varieties as well as some synthetic), grub control products, and sometimes fungal control (Bayer Advanced).

My sprayer is used for a host of herbicides as needed, kelp help, soil conditioner, and FAS (ferrous ammonium sulfate).