Pyhtium blight new grass.

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Rkolarich15
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Novice

Pyhtium blight new grass.

Post by Rkolarich15 » September 19th, 2022, 9:27 am

I know I post here a lot and I hope I’m putting this in the right thread, I’m kind of new to the forum but this morning it I noticed this small area about the size of a baseball with this cotton like substance in my new grass. I seeded September 8th. It looks like pythium blight and this may be a silly question but could I just dig up this small area and reseed it? Would that take care of the pythium blight? Or do I need to apply a fungicide.

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Pyhtium blight new grass.

Post by turf_toes » September 19th, 2022, 9:36 am

If it were me and I thought my grass had pythium blight, I’d use a fungicide. That particular fungus could wipe out huge sections of your lawn in very short order.

I’m not sure that’s what you have there. But take that for what it’s worth.

Rkolarich15

Post by Rkolarich15 » September 19th, 2022, 10:32 am

turf_toes wrote:
September 19th, 2022, 9:36 am
If it were me and I thought my grass had pythium blight, I’d use a fungicide. That particular fungus could wipe out huge sections of your lawn in very short order.

Thank you sir. I did a little bit of research and mefenoxam is the fungicide I need according to google. It’s just so expensive. But worth it if it will save my new grass.

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by turf_toes » September 19th, 2022, 11:31 am

Rkolarich15 wrote:
September 19th, 2022, 10:32 am
turf_toes wrote:

Thank you sir. I did a little bit of research and mefenoxam is the fungicide I need according to google. It’s just so expensive. But worth it if it will save my new grass.
Read the label and ensure it is safe to use on new grass seedlings. I believe there are other fungicides that work on that fungi too.

Rkolarich15

Post by Rkolarich15 » September 19th, 2022, 11:52 am

turf_toes wrote:
September 19th, 2022, 11:31 am
Rkolarich15 wrote:
September 19th, 2022, 10:32 am
turf_toes wrote:

Read the label and ensure it is safe to use on new grass seedlings. I believe there are other fungicides that work on that fungi too.
Thank you for helping me out, Scott’s disease ex says it treats it. That’s much cheaper, I tried looking up other fungicides and most are over $100. I will keep looking for other options too

Marinegrunt
Grass Type: TTTF + 10% KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Post by Marinegrunt » September 22nd, 2022, 12:19 pm

I had the same issue with a reseed a few years back. It wiped out huge areas of my lawn. I purchased Subdue for it. I still have an almost full bottle. If you need any let me know and I'll send you some.

Rkolarich15

Post by Rkolarich15 » September 23rd, 2022, 3:56 pm

Marinegrunt wrote:
September 22nd, 2022, 12:19 pm
I had the same issue with a reseed a few years back. It wiped out huge areas of my lawn. I purchased Subdue for it. I still have an almost full bottle. If you need any let me know and I'll send you some.
That’s very kind of you! It has actually cleared up and I have not noticed anymore since I started dialing back on the water some. I really appreciate that though, I will definitely let you know if I notice more of it though! That would help greatly

Marinegrunt
Grass Type: TTTF + 10% KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Post by Marinegrunt » September 23rd, 2022, 9:09 pm

I believe too much water caused mine as well. We also had a stretch of hot and humid which I'm sure added to it. I had to do a second seeding in late September. This was on a reno about 4 years ago and haven't had it return since. Hopefully it'll be the same for you.

If anyone ever needs any Subdue please let me know. I hate for it to go to waste but I'd rather that nobody needed it!