New grass wilting, damping out?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Rkolarich15
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Novice

New grass wilting, damping out?

Post by Rkolarich15 » October 4th, 2022, 8:03 pm

I’m 21 days after germination TTTF in middle Tennessee. The grass came in well and still looks okay from a distant view but a few days ago I noticed some spots were a much lighter green than the rest and upon closer look there are small spots where the grass is wilting and I just don’t know what is going on. My guess might be damping off? I cut watering back to once a day. Any help on what I should do? Thank you guys, Robert K, Nashville TN. If I need to put more/better pictures up please let me know

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: New grass wilting, damping out?

Post by turf_toes » October 4th, 2022, 9:44 pm

I think backing out on watering is a good start. Generally, fungal issues are seen more often when the seeding was at a higher rate. (Meaning you may have seeded heavily).

If things worsen, you could research whether Diseasex is safe to use on new grass.

But in my decades of experience, backing off on the watering will do the trick.

Rkolarich15

Post by Rkolarich15 » October 4th, 2022, 9:46 pm

turf_toes wrote:
October 4th, 2022, 9:44 pm
I think backing out on watering is a good start. Generally, fungal issues are seen more often when the seeding was at a higher rate. (Meaning you may have seeded heavily).

If things worsen, you could research whether Diseasex is safe to use on new grass.

But in my decades of experience, backing off on the watering will do the trick.
Thank you sir 🙏. Will do, and I appreciate it!

flyin-lowe
Lawn Size: 2 acre-5 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by flyin-lowe » October 7th, 2022, 8:42 am

How much are you watering once a day? I usually keep my reno's damp until the grass gets a few inches tall, then after that I go to once a week, not once a day. Maybe it's being over watered? Once good watering once a week will help the roots grow deeper then just keeping the surface wet daily.

Rkolarich15

Post by Rkolarich15 » October 7th, 2022, 9:23 pm

flyin-lowe wrote:
October 7th, 2022, 8:42 am
How much are you watering once a day? I usually keep my reno's damp until the grass gets a few inches tall, then after that I go to once a week, not once a day. Maybe it's being over watered? Once good watering once a week will help the roots grow deeper then just keeping the surface wet daily.

I watered every day for a week for 20 minutes. It is a very small 500sqft area and it is the only area giving me trouble. Since posting this I am started watering every other day for 20 minutes, since it is so small I am just spraying with garden hose. I used my soil test probe and pulled multiple cores and the soil was moist about 4 inches down. Not soggy, but barely moist. I think dialing back the water every other day has helped. Should I dial back even more?

bernstem
Grass Type: Front: Solar Eclipse/Award/Bewitched/Moonlight SLT/Prosperity Back: Solar Eclipse Monostand + Bewitched (shade)
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by bernstem » October 10th, 2022, 9:48 pm

Azoxystrobin is safe on new grass and is labeled for use on new seedlings.