What's happening where you live?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Masbustelo
Grass Type: Mazama KBG
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

What's happening where you live?

Post by Masbustelo » January 18th, 2023, 7:22 pm

Northern Illinois. Very little snow this season, I think I shoveled once. We've had lots of rain and cloudy gloomy days 30's and 40's.

edslawn
Grass Type: Northern Mix

Re: What's happening where you live?

Post by edslawn » January 18th, 2023, 9:07 pm

South central PA. Maybe 1/2" so far. Very light but knocking on wood since we need to be on guard until mid-March.

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Post by bpgreen » January 18th, 2023, 10:07 pm

Fortunately, we've been getting more than average precipitation most of this water year (October 1 through b September 30). Salt lake has risen a foot so far (still low, but that's a big improvement). The snowpack is almost 200% of average (to date), but we need that to continue, and one good year won't reverse the multi year drought we're in.

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by turf_toes » January 18th, 2023, 10:36 pm

Typical year here so far. (Typical for last 10 years or so anyway) no snow so far. Our Winters don’t get cold until late January/early February.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by Green » January 18th, 2023, 10:46 pm

Our weather is starting to trend like Turf_toe's has been the last decade, the last few years. Maybe an inch of snow so far, but about 9 inches of rain and counting since Thanksgiving. (That would equate to like 85 inches of snow, which would be a disaster.) It's bad enough that the ground is saturated. All lawns have lost color, probably due to being waterlogged. (They were greener back in mid Dec. when it was cold and dry.) Second half of Nov and most of Dec. were very cold. The last week of Dec. until now has been warm. The final week of Jan. is supposed to become cold. We'll see if we have an entire month in the 30s. I'm hoping for some breaks in it. The ground surface actually froze earlier this Winter, and then thawed back out a few weeks ago.

Green

Post by Green » January 18th, 2023, 10:48 pm

Oh, and I actually did a charity mow on Jan. 2nd (to clean up leaves). Never mowed in Jan. before. Got clippings, too.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » January 19th, 2023, 8:40 pm

A few nuisance snows, but nothing that adds up to much. Prediction is for no prolonged cold snaps in February here, but March will be cooler than normal. I'm tired of this, gonna go hide for 3 weeks or so in Key Largo home.

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.

Post by turf_toes » January 19th, 2023, 8:55 pm

Great plan! ^

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG

Post by MorpheusPA » January 21st, 2023, 3:26 pm

No snow, temperatures well above "normal," or the new normal. Tons of rain, tons of drear. Fortunately, I work from home and have an office lighting system, so I sit in bright gold and orange tropical lighting most of the time.

umbo514

Post by umbo514 » February 4th, 2023, 12:51 pm

Negative 8 F this morning, lots of unhappy grass, possibly dead TTPR.

turf_toes

Post by turf_toes » February 4th, 2023, 5:15 pm

Cold here today too. But temperatures will be back in the 50s this coming week. As a kid in this area, we used to skate on the local pond most of the winter.

The temperature doesn’t stay cold around here long enough to make that even possible anymore.

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both

Post by bpgreen » February 4th, 2023, 9:33 pm

It was cold earlier this week, but warmed up a bit.

Unfortunately, we've currently got an inversion, so pollution it's really bad. But we're supposed to get a couple of storms in there next few days, which should clear the air.

Smolenski7

Post by Smolenski7 » February 10th, 2023, 3:10 pm

I think this might be the 4th or 5th winter in a row that seems like temps are above normal, but this season has been ridiculous. It was the warmest January on record by several degrees, and as I write, it's 61'F outside and kids are running around in shorts and a t-shirt. I'm temped to go do a spring clean up. At this rate, I'll be cutting in mid-March on a regular basis. I have started cutting in March before, but not too often and never really before the 4th week.

As far as snow, no real storms to speak of. I bet we have had less than 4" all season long.....and that is between 3 or 4 different snow falls. I actually drained my snow blower of gas because I didn't want to have carb. issues just in case it does snow and I need it.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » February 15th, 2023, 6:00 pm

It is 67 degrees and brilliantly sunny, the windows have been wide open since noon after my department meeting (I work from home), and the whole house is getting a midwinter air-out. Tomorrow, carbon copy, with rain due tomorrow night. Winter? What winter? We had one storm, with half an inch of snow.

As I seem to have inherited two feral cats who've moved into my backyard and I'm currently feeding them, have a heated water bowl, and built cat shelters, I'm kind of glad about that. It was an easy winter for them.

Green

Post by Green » February 16th, 2023, 9:44 pm

Things have now calmed down. Very little rain in about 3 weeks, which is good because some areas have finally dried out to normal (not all have). Still above average temps by 10-15 degrees. Today hit 65-67 as an extreme example. Next week is supposed to go back down to normal though (mid 30s to 40F, and 20s at night) and maybe some chances for snow. Next batch of significant rain will be tonight into tomorrow.

fun4me2

Post by fun4me2 » February 20th, 2023, 2:42 pm

Not a speck of snow anywhere around here.
Our temps have been way above normal.
They are predicting that's about to change soon. No snow but ice storm possibly.
Only used my snowblower once for about a 6" storm back in December.
I had filled it with gas for the next storm that never came. :roll:
Wondering how the lawn will look when it wakes up. :unsure:

DevilDawg81
Grass Type: KBG, PRG, Fescue mix
Lawn Size: 2 acre-5 acre

Post by DevilDawg81 » March 4th, 2023, 10:39 am

It’s been interesting this winter. Around Christmas time we had incredibly low temps. Since then temps have been somewhat mild. So much so that trees are budding, some flowers are blooming. This past week a set of forsythia bushes I use as a gauge have produced some blooms and my bees are bringing in pollen.

bpgreen

Post by bpgreen » March 4th, 2023, 1:42 pm

We've been having a good year in terms of precipitation.

There is now a sliver of the state that is not in drought at all. It's only 2.65% of the state, but we'll take what weer can get.

And 0% of the state is in exceptional drought. And only 3.89% in extreme drought (down from more than 50% 3 months ago).

And there's more snow coming.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » March 5th, 2023, 6:12 pm

From snow to blossoming crocus in 1 day. Today was 55 degrees, so it's a gorgeous start to March.

About 10% of the state is D0--Abnormally Dry, but that's not bad at all. My area is considered Normal, personally, I'd call it Kind Of Dry Right Now. Winter precip was low, but hopefully we'll have a damp spring...

Masbustelo
Grass Type: Mazama KBG

Post by Masbustelo » March 19th, 2023, 10:35 am

It was a high of 19F yesterday with 30mph winds. No sign of lawns greening up. Some daffodil and galanthus are trying to get something going. Northern Illinois.