Prodiamine vs dimension

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
birch
Grass Type: northern mix...i think?
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Prodiamine vs dimension

Post by birch » March 20th, 2023, 6:00 pm

I’m looking for information on a preemergent to put down. I’ve read about using Prodiamine and/or dimension. Could someone tell me the difference?

Also Prodiamine won’t deliver to my address via Amazon. Could you recommend a pre-e that I could get locally on Long Island?

Cheers!

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: Prodiamine vs dimension

Post by Green » March 21st, 2023, 1:38 am

Both prevent primarily crabgrass, and do it well.

Dimension might be more effective if your application date ends up slightly on the late side of the optimal window.

There are many, many Prodiamine and Dimension products. I would just pick whichever you can get a better deal on, but note that within each active ingredient, the concentration is important. Something is better than nothing!

Prodiamine is less water soluble, but I never had an issue with Dimension and rain causing any problems.

Lowes has granular Lesco 0-0-7 Prodiamine for a good price. Maybe that would be the most cost effective and affordable/easy to get locally for you without dealing with shipping issues.

I typically use Dimension because when I posted on here a long time ago, someone happened to recommend it. I've been using it each Spring since. But either or is fine.

Riverpilot
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 3000-5000

Post by Riverpilot » March 21st, 2023, 4:22 pm

I would check your local Site-One. Just a quick look and I see prodiamine in stock. I'm sure they can tell you what else they have and their recommendations.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by Green » March 21st, 2023, 4:52 pm

^The Lesco Stonewall 0-0-7, 0.68% Prodiamine 50 lb bag is only $43. Applied at 2.25 lbs per thousand square feet, it should protect for 3-4 months. I doubt SiteOne has a better price on it, from what I've seen. (I paid over $70 per bag for my Dimension there, though it has more fertilizer in it and Dimension usually costs more, too, so it's apples to oranges).

Probably worth checking with SiteOne to compare, but I have a feeling even this Lowes price might go up soon...it's been at this point for a while, I believe.

northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Post by northeastlawn » March 29th, 2023, 11:48 pm

A few differences…..

Prodiamine lasts longer, you can buy a bottle of mix that you mix your self for the same price of a 50lb bag of granular pre-m. That bottle will last you years.

Dimension has some post emergent properties if you put it down at a strong enough rate. It won’t kill crab grass that’s already germinated, but might kill crab grass that’s reached the two or three leaf tiller stage.

Lastly if you trying to sneak a spring over-seed in, dimension is safe to put down once the new grass has reached two cuts. Of course those two cuts have to be before the cg has reached the two or three leave tiller phase.

flyin-lowe
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 2 acre-5 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by flyin-lowe » April 18th, 2023, 9:02 pm

Have you looked on Ebay by chance? I have bought a lot of stuff there like this. It is just a private person selling, boxing it up, and shipping. They are not likely going to care where they ship it to. You pay them for it and they will send it to you. When I had a smaller yard I used Dimension granular. now that I treat almost 4 acres I buy the prodiamine in the water dissolvable granules. Three years ago a 5 pound jug was around 60.00, last year it went to about 75.00 and this I had to pay around 100.00 for it. At the rate I put it down I can do two applications with a 5 pound jug.