Who all has put down Pre Emergent?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
flyin-lowe
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 2 acre-5 acre
Level: Some Experience

Who all has put down Pre Emergent?

Post by flyin-lowe » April 8th, 2023, 7:46 pm

I’m in Indiana and of course the week we were out of town on vacation we got several good rains. Now I’m back and ready and no rains in the forecast right now for the next 10-14 days. The weatherman is never wrong when I need him to be. I’ve got 4 acres I treat so not an option to water it in myself. I always use the prodiamine WDS.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: Who all has put down Pre Emergent?

Post by Green » April 8th, 2023, 11:14 pm

Same here...it's time to think about applying it, but there is no rain in sight and soil temps are rapidly rising next week due to temps forecast to go well into the 80s for a day or two, and 70s much of the week as well. I'm not even sure if I'll make it through without watering. The only good thing is that if there is no rain, crabgrass seeds likely won't germinate. I'm just taking it day by day for now. We still have two more nights in the low 30s before it starts to become warmer. Forsythia bloomed this past week, and soil temps are now in the 50s.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » April 9th, 2023, 11:32 am

I actually drop mine in September when temps start to fall, but use a heavy dose of Prodiamine. It saves time in spring.

Smolenski7
Grass Type: Northern Mix

Post by Smolenski7 » April 9th, 2023, 7:15 pm

Putting Prodiamine down late this week because of the lack of rain in the forecast. My forsythias really started to bloom fully yesterday (maybe the day before) so it will be good. Air temps will be in the 70's and 80's, but soil temps don't react as quickly.

PSU4ME
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Midnight/Everglade Back: Midnight/Diva/Everest
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by PSU4ME » April 9th, 2023, 8:48 pm

I jumped it last Tuesday to catch the rain and followed with some irrigation. Temps in the 70/80’s this week do things are going to start popping

ronfitch
Grass Type: original: I don't know; overseed: Kentucky Bluegrass
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by ronfitch » April 10th, 2023, 1:19 pm

Went from lots of snow on the ground - aided by 11+ inches of heavy, dense snow in 8-9 hours March 31st into April 1st - to mostly clear in a week. Still some drifts by the curb where at multiple points this winter the snow was taller than the mail boxes.

With highs in the 70s F all this week and 4" ground temps working their way toward the 40s F, it should all be clear and drying out by mid-week. So, perhaps by week's end before the rains if things dry out and the ground temps keep climbing.

Another weird winter in what has become a series of weird winters in Minnesota.

flyin-lowe

Post by flyin-lowe » April 12th, 2023, 6:49 pm

Our rain chances are starting to go up for Saturday night into Sunday. So I might be able to get mine down late this week and pray for some rain....

Hammbone81
Grass Type: KBG

Post by Hammbone81 » April 12th, 2023, 9:34 pm

I put down prodiamine last Friday 4/7/23. I got my irrigation RPZ valve rebuilt and installed last night and watered it in this morning.

It's been above 80°F a couple days this week and forecasted the same the rest of the week. The lawn could stand to get mowed.

lVlrBoJang1es
Grass Type: KBG

Post by lVlrBoJang1es » April 13th, 2023, 1:50 pm

Dropped some generic Tenacity on my "far back" portion 4/7 - planning on seeding some bare spots where hydroseeding washed out.
Tenacity mixed with Prodiamine on "front" and "back" sections 4/9.

Spent the entire good friday-easter sunday working on the yard/mulch beds. Damn it felt good to get some sun, but my back and knees are paying for it this week!

P.S. My prodiamine is probably over 6 years old. We'll see how this works out lol

dave2466
Grass Type: Prosperity/Bewitched/Midnight
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by dave2466 » April 14th, 2023, 10:44 am

I used granular prodiamine for the first time this spring, on April 6th. It hasn't rained so I watered it in yesterday.

Setzer1994
Grass Type: Northern Mix / Fine Fescue

Post by Setzer1994 » April 14th, 2023, 3:06 pm

My pre-emergent has been down for a few weeks already. I was going to spray T-Zone today but its a bit too hot (almost 90!). With rain coming this weekend and cooler weather next week, I think I can safely wait. It's mostly chickweed and wild violet.

ronfitch

Post by ronfitch » April 14th, 2023, 4:38 pm

Hammbone81 wrote:
April 12th, 2023, 9:34 pm
I put down prodiamine last Friday 4/7/23. I got my irrigation RPZ valve rebuilt and installed last night and watered it in this morning.

It's been above 80°F a couple days this week and forecasted the same the rest of the week. The lawn could stand to get mowed.
I was in Cedar Falls last weekend and it was green down there (we still had 4+" of snow on the ground in most spots on Saturday when I left, though it had been melting at a quick rate and pulling back from sidewalks and driveways ... but still some drifts at the end of driveways 2+' was common). But really green in Cedar Falls.

A week later - including two days of 80+ temps - and the snow is gone. Soil temp at 4" is getting near 50, so nearly time to drop here.

flyin-lowe

Post by flyin-lowe » April 14th, 2023, 8:46 pm

As of right now still calling for some rain tomorrow night and Sunday so I put my prodiamine down this evening. I use the dissolvable granules. I put down about 1 lbs per acre which shows just under 6 months of effectiveness. My experience has been it is usually a little less than advertised. I've put it down light the last couple years planning to over seed in the fall. Last two falls we have had hardly any rain so I have not been able to overseed. Ill see how things look this fall. If it is not fit to overseed I will put a fall app of prodiamine down again.

Green

Post by Green » April 15th, 2023, 7:36 pm

I'm just starting. I put down pre-M split app #1 on one area just now, using granular Echelon (Prodiamine/Sulfentrazone). Tomorrow will be Dimension on other areas. Also noticed a local lawn company did a neighbor's property 3 days ago. With rain coming, crabgrass will no doubt start germinating probably within 7 days or so.

flyin-lowe

Post by flyin-lowe » April 16th, 2023, 9:25 am

So as luck would have it my 60% chance of rain yesterday and 80% overnight and today turned into not a drop. I am due to mow and am curious if it is a bad idea to mow my lawn after spraying the prodiamine but before it gets rained in?

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » April 16th, 2023, 11:35 am

flyin-lowe wrote:
April 16th, 2023, 9:25 am
So as luck would have it my 60% chance of rain yesterday and 80% overnight and today turned into not a drop. I am due to mow and am curious if it is a bad idea to mow my lawn after spraying the prodiamine but before it gets rained in?
It's fine.

flyin-lowe

Post by flyin-lowe » April 16th, 2023, 3:30 pm

Thanks, we ended up getting pop up shower come through. Not sure how much rain but a decent soaking. Should be able to mow tomorrow sometime. I need to get caught back up, it's been a busy spring.

ronfitch

Post by ronfitch » April 17th, 2023, 11:34 am

ronfitch wrote:
April 14th, 2023, 4:38 pm
Hammbone81 wrote:
April 12th, 2023, 9:34 pm

I was in Cedar Falls last weekend and it was green down there (we still had 4+" of snow on the ground in most spots on Saturday when I left, though it had been melting at a quick rate and pulling back from sidewalks and driveways ... but still some drifts at the end of driveways 2+' was common). But really green in Cedar Falls.

A week later - including two days of 80+ temps - and the snow is gone. Soil temp at 4" is getting near 50, so nearly time to drop here.
A third consecutive day in the 80s cam Friday - snow gone - followed by one in the 50s and one in the 30s, in which rain turned to snow (2+ inches for us overnight, 8 inches not far from us). But on Friday, things were greening up!

fun4me2
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 3000-5000

Post by fun4me2 » April 17th, 2023, 1:55 pm

Between the late snow/ice storms, very cold temps, slow melting, I had to rake around the snow/ice.
Then the temps in the high 80's low 90's and no rain since the snow/ice finally melted.
The forsythia's started to bloom the other day and now I'm just too tired to apply the Prodiamine 65 WDG.
II'll apply it in the fall instead and apply WBG and CCO for now.
I was going to do it today but we are getting on/off showers.

Green

Post by Green » April 21st, 2023, 1:49 am

So far, I have applied my first split app of pre-M on less than 6,000 square feet. Additionally, only 0.55K or so has been watered in. Some is Prodiamine, and some is Dimension. I know I'm flirting with being a little late (especially with the Prodiamine as it's less soluble). I recommended to my friend that he get his first app (Dimension) down last week, but I'm not sure if he was able to water it in yet, either. He is slightly South of me, maybe 3-5 days ahead in terms of crabgrass germination time-frames. The good thing about having next to no rain in the last almost 3 weeks is that the soil moisture is getting short, which is going to slow the germination of any crabgrass. We also had temps dip into the high 30s the last two nights, which should also slow it. But this weekend is going to be a substantial rain, so I'm making a mad dash to get the rest of the pre-M done today. I've never been this late that I can recall. (Maybe when I first started 10 years ago and wasn't up on best practices, if ever.)