Landscaper top dress too thick

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
AWNY
Grass Type: Sun and Shade
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Landscaper top dress too thick

Post by AWNY » May 7th, 2023, 5:30 pm

Hired a landscaper to renovate my front and back yard. Left two guys bringing compost cover the yard and owner left to another job. Later came back and said the guys applied too much compost but didn't do anything about it. They put down grass seed and left. The grass seed is half perennial rye grass and half KBG mix.

The evening of that say day we had a rain storm that rained the whole night. I knew we were expecting rain but didn't realize it wad a rain storm. Landscaper said will come back to rake the soil to even out wash out pea moss and no surprise he never showed.

Anyways. I'm hoping folks here can help guide me what I should expect of this lawn now and what I can do to make it a good lawn.

1. Is this thick layer of compost going to kill my original lawn? I water everyday and have rye grass came out on the 10th day. But I feel like these grass is growing on top of the layer of compost and pea moss. Will the grass eventually grow through the grass lawn underneath the compost and establish?

2. Some area the original lawn have grass grow through the compost and starting to get long. The new grass is not ready to mow and I think blue grass still need more time to germinate. Should I continue to water until maybe the 30th day to do the first mowing? I'm hoping by then whatever bluegrass that can germinate have already germinated.

3. Should I over seed again with some high quality KBG in the fall?

Sorry for the long post. I really just want to have a nice thick lawn the whole family can enjoy. Any advice would be appreciated.

I'm in Long Island, NY. Thank you all!

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Re: Landscaper top dress too thick

Post by bpgreen » May 7th, 2023, 11:00 pm

Welcome.

You should probably add your lawn size and experience to your profile.

How thick is too thick? The answer to that can help us figure out what is likely to happen.

You said you hired them to renovate the whole lawn. We usually use the term renovate to mean completely replace the existing lawn by first killing any existing grass, but you're asking whether the compost will kill the existing grass, sho this sounds more like an overseed than a renovation. Did they kill the existing lawn first? If not, how much grass was there before the top dressing and overseed?

Waiting a month before mowing seems like a good idea to me since it will give the new grass a chance to germinate and start growing.

Fall is usually a better time to seed than spring. Grass planted in the spring can struggle to survive the heat of summer.