Dimension and Overseeding

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
falcon
Grass Type: TTTF/KBG Blend
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Some Experience

Dimension and Overseeding

Post by falcon » May 11th, 2023, 7:59 am

I will need to overseed some thin spots this year. I was planning on an application of Dimension in late June. If I apply 2lbs/K, will that (likely) be enough time after the application to overseed last week of August and then apply the fall app of Dimension after germination?

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Re: Dimension and Overseeding

Post by MorpheusPA » May 11th, 2023, 8:15 pm

Picture me saying slowly, "Maybe."

Get a dry spell in there and no, it's not. Decay will slow. I'm smelling a weather shift on the wind as we move from La Nina to neutral to El Nino, so I can't predict this summer at all.

Post-seeding, you'll really need to wait at least six, eight weeks, at least in the spots. Personally, I'd skip the Dimension in the spots this year.

falcon
Grass Type: TTTF/KBG Blend
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by falcon » May 11th, 2023, 9:36 pm

Thanks, Morpheus.

flyin-lowe
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 2 acre-5 acre

Post by flyin-lowe » May 13th, 2023, 4:29 pm

Trying to word this so it doesn't sound like me questioning what you are doing, just trying to learn. I had thought the grassy weeds that deminsion fights typically germinate in the spring or fall. What are you attempting to stop that would have a germination time between June and August. I used to use dimension at my old house with a 1 acre lawn. The stuff I got was in a fertilizer mix so I put it down every spring again each fall and that took care of all the crabgrass issues I had.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » May 25th, 2023, 1:38 pm

It does vary. Crabgrass is a summer sprouter; May to July. Most sedges sprout in late May to June and, further north, a bit later.

Creeping Charlie doesn't get going for me until June. So I need to keep the shield up through Independence Day, after which it can start to drop, although I'll still get plenty of sprout even through summer in the gardens. Some of that is by design; I have volunteer Melampodium, cosmos, celosia, and salvia and manually weed parts of it.