Spraying PGR & Iron - Total Newbie

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
R2k
Grass Type: Mazama KBG
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Experienced

Spraying PGR & Iron - Total Newbie

Post by R2k » May 12th, 2023, 4:53 pm

I'm totally new to spraying PGRs and iron. The PGR I'm using is Trinexapac-ethyl and the Iron solution will be Sprint 138 (EDDHA Iron) & Ammonium Sulfate (using rates for both according to the Sprint 138 directions).

I've gathered PGR/Iron should not be sprayed during high temps. I'm still gathering exact specs on that and reading up.

Note: the Sprint 138 is leftover from an experiment, I'll source something much cheaper in the future.

A couple of questions:

1. I would like to get the shoot growth suppression of the PGR and keep the deep green from the iron spray for long durations. Should I spray the PGR first, wait a day or two, and then apply the iron spray? Vice versa? Mix them? What's the best way to achieve this goal? I have zero experience with either process.

2. I'm nearly out of PGR temps from what I gather. Am I about to do something stupid by spraying PGR & Iron in the next few days given my weather conditions for the next two weeks?

Any other tips for me?

My weather for the next two weeks:

Thanks!

R2k

Re: Spraying PGR & Iron - Total Newbie

Post by R2k » May 13th, 2023, 3:19 pm

Leaning toward only experimenting in the backyard with a small section to test the PGR and waiting until after summer to do wider applications. The biggest thing I'm concerned about is the rebound effect happening into high summer temps & drought as I don't irrigate. Doing a small section out of public view gives me some experience to start drawing on.

Can't wait to do my first iron spray though!

R2k

Re: Spraying PGR & Iron - Total Newbie

Post by R2k » June 15th, 2023, 4:28 pm

Checking in - some lessons learned.

I did some calibration with my sprayer and found that 1 gal per 1000 sqft worked well.

I did some small areas to test the PGR/iron and they did fine a couple of days later. At this moment, Dunning–Kruger effect kicked in!

I quickly went for the whole yard.

Well, later on, I learned that my ability to evenly apply spray products is......very poor.

I combined a full dose of trinexapac and iron application on 5/17. So I have some bands of the dark sickly iron look and it's over-regulated at the same time. The areas that were sprayed less (i.e. uneven coverage) have been coming out of regulation and growing nicely. It's not a great look, but I can laugh about it.

I've upgraded my spray gun to a hand boom and it feels like I do better with it...we'll see over time literally. I did another trinexapac application on 6/9 at half the dose. I may hit the under-regulated bands with a quarter dose to try to get everything into even growth, but that has its potential drawbacks too. Still pondering on my exact path forward to even things out.

No more iron for the rest of the summer due to temps though. Keeping the summer stress in mind as I plan out the next steps for trinexapac applications.

Failures are wonderful teachers.