Nuked the Triv - Now seed, or sod?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
sam1220
Grass Type: NoMix
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Nuked the Triv - Now seed, or sod?

Post by sam1220 » May 17th, 2023, 8:53 am

For the last 5 years I've had almost no issues with triv at all. Maybe a small spot here and there, but that's been it. This year, EXPLOSION of triv, and it's covering my neighbors yard and creeping over my way. I wrestled with treatment options, or just leaving it be, but then I decided to go 41% nuclear on it.

Now, 2 weeks later, I'm left with 600 sq ft of beautiful brown patches.

I have 2 options, and am at a crossroads, looking for some help:

1. Run the Sunjoe over the area, get rid of all the dead grass/triv, then scarify and throw down seed covered with peat.
2. Rent a sod cutter, cut it all out, then get a pallet of sod and lay that in.

I'm in PA and have an irrigation system. I know the conventional wisdom is that spring seeding isn't very successful, so that's why I'm torn.

Suggestions?

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Nuked the Triv - Now seed, or sod?

Post by turf_toes » May 18th, 2023, 8:16 am

I’d fallow it. Look for signs of green then hit it again. Rinse and repeat through the rest of the spring.

Ultimately you may be fighting a losing battle if your neighbor’s lawn is infested too.

Irisbergamot
Grass Type: KBG, TTF
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Re: Nuked the Triv - Now seed, or sod?

Post by Irisbergamot » June 10th, 2023, 8:12 am

Concur with turf toes. I’d add in - glypho 1-2 ft past the perimeter of the dead spot (get what’s spread below).
Overseed or patch sod in mid August.

I got hit this year as well. In a study I read, Tenacity at 2oz rate every 3 days in Apr-May was good for a long haul suppression battle. I accidentally did 4 oz and it’s working for me. (Just glad my tf/kbg are ok).