Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
bolson32
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Late September planting - Minnesota

Post by bolson32 » August 3rd, 2023, 1:00 pm

Hey Guys,

Back after a decent hiatus as my wife and I are in the middle of a pretty substantial addition to our house. We're adding a large master suite on one side and a third garage stall on the other. We're definitely going to be pressing for time to get it graded and seeded yet this fall, but leaving it totally untouched is probably not wise either as we'll definitely have washing issues in the spring.

I know the rule of thumb is labor day, but I'm wondering if a mid to late sept planting would be suitable in this scenario as I'm hoping to get something at least somewhat established before the snow flies.

I also know that normally you don't recommend annual rye, but would that maybe be a good idea in this scenario too? Or would a PRG/TTTF/KBG blend be just fine since the TTTF and PRG should germinate within a week or two.

What do you guys think?

PSU4ME
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Midnight/Everglade Back: Midnight/Diva/Everest
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Re: Late September planting - Minnesota

Post by PSU4ME » August 4th, 2023, 6:23 am

Congrats on the expansion! I have seen people in my area (MA) pull off plantings as of 10-1 which obviously has to have so level of weather cooperation temp wise.

So I think late Sept is possible but feel it depends on how warm things will be. As you said, some grass is likely better than none so I’d give it a whirl. What sqft are you planting?

bolson32

Post by bolson32 » August 4th, 2023, 12:41 pm

It'll be several thousand, probably half an acre total this go round. Irrigation will be tricky as we don't have it right now.

But I think you're right, best to do something than nothing. Shooting to have framing and siding done by Sept 15th, so we'd plant hopefully that week as well.

edslawn
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by edslawn » August 4th, 2023, 7:15 pm

Very exciting on the home improvements! I'd go for it. The weather has been a little unpredictable lately so you may get lucky. You will at a minimum get some coverage to help protect the area, even if it isn't as successful as hoped.

bolson32

Post by bolson32 » August 5th, 2023, 9:12 am

Thanks for the feedback guys, full speed ahead!

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by Green » August 15th, 2023, 1:53 am

Definitely incorporate Perennial Ryegrass. If it starts cooling off and you're desperate, you could throw some of the annual rye in...but it will make a mess of the lawn next Spring.