Bent Grass and Tenacity

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Smolenski7
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Bent Grass and Tenacity

Post by Smolenski7 » August 8th, 2023, 4:21 pm

There are so many things wrong with my lawn, I really can't address all of them immediately. As a result, I'm starting with the Bent Grass. Why, because it's everywhere. I had a pro. over the house today. He works on my father's lawn, which is park like, so I trust him because I know what my father's lawn used to look like. He recommended taking out the dead patches of Bent Grass now, reseeding seeding, and then in October (when it is in full flush) apply 2 rounds of Tenacity. Then, in May, apply 2 more rounds of Tenacity. He says this method will not kill all of the Bent Grass, but it's really the only thing to realistically do. Thoughts?

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Bent Grass and Tenacity

Post by turf_toes » August 9th, 2023, 8:01 am

Tenacity kills Bent. Just be sure to read the label on application rates.

Smolenski7

Post by Smolenski7 » August 9th, 2023, 2:38 pm

So, change of plans. The Bentgrass is way more pervasive than I thought. So, instead of just clearing the dead grass, reseeding, then applying Tenacity in the Fall and Spring, I think I would like to apply Tenacity now, then again in 10 days, and possibly 10 days after that. Finally, seed the first week of September. Hpws that for a plan to get rid of the Bentgrass?

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.

Post by turf_toes » August 10th, 2023, 9:28 am

Well, this time of year, your bent grass will likely be dormant. So that’s the primary problem. It’s difficult to keep it healthy in the best of conditions.

But it’s doubtful that a good portion of your Bent grass isn’t in a dormant state. In that case, Tenacity won’t solve your problem.

Smolenski7

Post by Smolenski7 » August 10th, 2023, 10:05 am

turf_toes wrote:
August 10th, 2023, 9:28 am
Well, this time of year, your bent grass will likely be dormant. So that’s the primary problem. It’s difficult to keep it healthy in the best of conditions.

But it’s doubtful that a good portion of your Bent grass isn’t in a dormant state. In that case, Tenacity won’t solve your problem.
That's what I thought. When could I expect the Bentgrass to spring back to life? I assume mid-September.

turf_toes

Post by turf_toes » August 10th, 2023, 10:06 pm

That’s going to depend on your local conditions.

Smolenski7

Post by Smolenski7 » September 4th, 2023, 10:54 am

I over sprayed the area at a rate of 4oz/acre 7 days ago. I know the recommended interval between applications is 10-14 days, but I'm really hoping to get some seed down prior to 9/15. This is a month before the average first frost. Will applying the 2nd and 3rd rounds of Tenacity at 7 day intervals effect how well it kills the bentgrass?

Wally

Post by Wally » September 4th, 2023, 11:34 am

If the bent is that extensive why not nuke it and reseed in a few weeks? If you didn't want to do that, I would mow it as low as you can in two weeks, rake or power rake, apply the second application of the Tenacity, then reseed. In two more weeks hit it with the third round of Tenacity.

How much area we talking about? The whole lawn or just a section?

Smolenski7

Post by Smolenski7 » September 4th, 2023, 10:24 pm

Wally wrote:
September 4th, 2023, 11:34 am
If the bent is that extensive why not nuke it and reseed in a few weeks? If you didn't want to do that, I would mow it as low as you can in two weeks, rake or power rake, apply the second application of the Tenacity, then reseed. In two more weeks hit it with the third round of Tenacity.

How much area we talking about? The whole lawn or just a section?
It's a part of my back yard, about 4k.

I don't want to freak out the boss, so nuking it is not an option.

I'm thinking that I'm fighting a losing battle right now. It seems like a lot of the Bentgrass that was thriving, is now dormant. I really don't think the Tenacity will have any effect on it. I think I'm going to power rake it in a few days and then reapply. I'll repeat this for a 3rd app, then seed. Cone spring, I'll probably have to repeat the process to hit the Bentgrass that is dormant now.