Best varieties of grass to mix with KBG lawn

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
akrug3
Grass Type: KBG, some fescue
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Best varieties of grass to mix with KBG lawn

Post by akrug3 » August 29th, 2023, 11:42 pm

Hi everyone. I'm considering trying to blend some different varieties of grass into my predominantly KBG lawn. The reason being is that I would like to see some earlier greenup and growth in the spring and also would like to try to balance out some clumpy sections where I have patches of fine fescue that I can't seem to get rid of. The fine fescues are remnants of an "eco-lawn" fescue blend that was there before I tried to transition to KBG only. I probably should have nuked everything with round up before I went full bore on the KBG but unfortunately I didn't, and now there are sections of fine fescue that always seem to show up and grow at different rates from the KBG. I probably wouldn't mind the fescues if they were more balanced throughout the lawn but they seem to be in random spots with their own growth habits. I love the KBG when it is nice and thick but I'm looking to add some other grass varieties that have similar growth habits and may have some earlier greenup. Also, something more drought tolerant than the KBG would be nice.

I guess the main contenders would be perennial rye and tall fescues. Does anyone have any experience mixing these into a lawn that is mostly comprised of KBG? My lawn is predominantly sunny.

Alternatively, if I didn't try to blend in any new varieties, does anyone know how to selectively remove fine fescue patches from KBG lawn without killing the KBG around it? I've tried Tenacity in the past but it always seems to come back.

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.

Re: Best varieties of grass to mix with KBG lawn

Post by turf_toes » August 30th, 2023, 4:29 am

The herbicide Corsair kills Fescue without killing KBG. But I believe it is off the market, unless it is now being sold under a different name.

akrug3

Post by akrug3 » August 30th, 2023, 11:05 pm

Thanks turf toes that's good to know. I will look into Corsair's availability. Anyone have any other suggestions on good grass types to mix with KBG or ways to remove fine fescue clumps?

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.

Post by turf_toes » August 31st, 2023, 10:10 am

I think your only solution for the fescue is either roundup or some selective herbicide. Round up will kill everything, of course.

Mixing the grass will depend on what you want. If you want it to look closer to KBG, you’ll robsbly want a P. Rye. But as you probably know it tends to die or go dormant faster in high heat. Tall fescue cultivars that look like KBG are available. But the more they look like KBG the more they tend to act like KBG as far as sought tolerance, etc.

I suggest checking NTEP results for your area. Any Internet forum-based suggestions you get will be highly related to the posters microclimate.

What might work well in my area may not work well in your area.

NTEP results should be your source of truth. You might get strong opinions on that question elsewhere. But it’s ludicrous to believe suggestions from folks who don’t live very close to your area.

akrug3

Post by akrug3 » September 2nd, 2023, 5:25 pm

Thanks again turf toes. I have used the NTEP results in the past. I'm located just outside of Boston. I'll look into P. Rye and Tall fescue to see what I can come up with. One of my concerns is that the rye or tall fescue won't blend in as well since the lawn is already established and I'll just create more clumps of uneven growth like the fine fescue I am already dealing with.

turf_toes

Post by turf_toes » September 2nd, 2023, 7:31 pm

Unless you’re planting a monostand (single cultivar), you’ll always have uneven growth. A Monoculture (one type) is better than a mix. But my front yard KBG monoculture definitely shows some uneven growth.