Any idea what type of mushroom/fungus this is?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
akrug3
Grass Type: KBG, some fescue
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Any idea what type of mushroom/fungus this is?

Post by akrug3 » September 2nd, 2023, 4:47 pm

Every August for the past several years, these hard mushroom like things seem to pop up in one area of my front lawn. In the past I have dug them out and then added new soil and either seeded or transplanted grass from another area to fill the hole left behind.

I've tried to research them but can't seem to find any good information on what they are and the easiest way to remove them. My guess is that they are coming from the remnants of and old tree that was removed about 10 years ago.

Does anyone know what they are called and if they will die out on their own if I leave them alone? They tend have a bigger mass below ground than above and are a very solid to the touch. If you walk on one it feels like a big hump in the ground and they don't break apart like a typical "soft" mushroom. Some of them are size of a softball or small soccer ball.

Digging them up is a hassle, so if they die on their own and disappear into the soil I am fine with that. Does anyone have a solution?

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Re: Any idea what type of mushroom/fungus this is?

Post by bpgreen » September 2nd, 2023, 10:15 pm

When I read the first couple of sentences, I was getting ready to ask if there was any chance a tree had been in that area at some point and died.

Then you answered my question.

Tree roots are high carbon. They decompose through fungal activity. As you've already mentioned, most of the mass is below ground. You can dig up apo you want, but unless you dig up all the underground roots of the dead tree, the fungus will keep coming back until the roots have decayed.

I think your best bet is to just wait.