Help with Grass Around Maples

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
kcguy74
Grass Type: Tall Fescue & Rye
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Some Experience

Help with Grass Around Maples

Post by kcguy74 » September 15th, 2023, 8:31 am

Good morning. I need some help with my lawn. We have a number of large maple trees in our backyard and grass doesn't grow very well under them (especially during the heat of summer). I have been overseeding and fertilizing every spring and fall, and water regularly. Do I need to aerate (will it help at all)? What kind of budget-friendly fertilizer should I use at this time of year (haven't fertilized since spring). I had a soil test done a couple of tears ago and nothing came back out-of-the-ordinary. Any other tips? Definitely need grass in these areas as the trees are located in the middle of the backyard and their canopies cover the majority of the back. Thanks!

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Help with Grass Around Maples

Post by turf_toes » September 15th, 2023, 11:10 am

You could try planting fine fescue under the trees.

But frankly, trees use a lot of groundwater. Between competing with the trees for water and the trees shading out the sun, it’s difficult to grow grass in those conditions.

You could try overseeding every year and providing more water in that area.

But I suspect you’re fighting a losing battle. Have you considered putting mulch down in the area and planting shade tolerant shrubs?

Your other option is to hire an arborist and have them trim back the tree to allow more sunlight to reach the grass. That still leaves you short of water. But it might help.

Trees and grass don’t generally make good growing partners.

oze
Grass Type: Northern mix transitioning to Regenerating Perennial Ryegrass
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Some Experience

Re: Help with Grass Around Maples

Post by oze » September 15th, 2023, 4:40 pm

Besides the shade and competition for water, the maples with which I've had experience have some very shallow roots, to the point of encroaching the surface. Not a very inviting environment for your lawn. I agree with TT that, if possible, find an alternative to turfgrass around the maples.