Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
bolson32
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Fall new seeding - Starter Fertilizer and Tenacity

Post by bolson32 » September 15th, 2023, 4:56 pm

Hi Guys,

Finally getting to my final grading and seeding all around our house after an extensive addition over the past few months. I picked up my Twin City Seed Tuff Turf TTTF/PRG/KBG blend today and was wondering about a couple of things.

Starter Fertilizer
Should I use some? I also have a bunch of generic Milorganite laying around from last year I could apply.

Tenacity
Is it even worth applying this late in the year? The seed guys said there wouldn't be much weed pressure and it wouldn't really be necessary at this time of year. That logic does make some sense. I would rather not risk screwing with the germination at all if it's not worth it.

Side note: I have both Milo(generic) and Mesotrione on hand, so there is no cost to do it, just time.

Thanks!

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.

Re: Fall new seeding - Starter Fertilizer and Tenacity

Post by turf_toes » September 15th, 2023, 5:18 pm

You know your climate better than me. But I suspect you are getting close to the time when the microorganisms that make Milorganite work will be dormant.

I’d use the Tenacity if it were me. But not being a TTTF or Rye guy, I’d check the label on whether it is safe on those grass types. I believe it is. But the label should always be your source of truth.

Again, I don’t know your climate. But I do know you are far, far north of me and the best time to seed here is Aug. 15-September 15.

My hunch is everything is a crap shoot for you this late in the year.

PSU4ME
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Midnight/Everglade Back: Midnight/Diva/Everest
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by PSU4ME » September 16th, 2023, 7:22 am

I just helped my neighbor do a considerable overseeding after he has a new septic out in, 40k sqft worth! We used Twin City blue envy seed. No starter fert yet but I will add some soon. Going synthetic for the reasons TT mentioned. We also used tenacity but I’m likely only applying just that one dose. Started seeing germination 4 days in so hurry up and get yours down while the warmer temps are still here.

bolson32

Post by bolson32 » September 16th, 2023, 1:06 pm

Yea, Tuesday is the absolute first day we could even think about it. Siders are finishing up as we speak.

Smolenski7
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Post by Smolenski7 » September 22nd, 2023, 2:59 pm

If I'm not mistaken, if Tenacity is preferred, it should be put down before germination. Once germination occurs, it shouldn't be applied until after the second cut.