When to mow seedlings?!

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
newhomeowner
Grass Type: Fescue
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Not Specified

When to mow seedlings?!

Post by newhomeowner » October 3rd, 2023, 3:48 pm

I’ve been trying to find concrete recommendations on when to first mow grass after overseeing, and I’m confused!

I had a bunch of rain after overseeding TTTF so had to reseed some areas and existing grass grew quickly despite mowing to 2”. Now I have some seedlings at 4” already and others just coming through!

What are the general guideline on how long to wait before mowing, and any recommendations in this situation?

Cheers

David

newhomeowner
Grass Type: Fescue
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Not Specified

Re: When to mow seedlings?!

Post by newhomeowner » October 5th, 2023, 9:18 am

Anyone have thoughts they could share please? Seems like any kind of mowing / walking early would flatten the new grass - when is that ok?

Aether
Grass Type: Tall Fescue
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: When to mow seedlings?!

Post by Aether » October 8th, 2023, 10:27 am

The common answer given is to cut when new TTTF grass is 2" to encourage tillering. I cut when 3" and before the new grass starts to flop over. Use your best judgment when proceeding to mow over low height new grass. I've mowed over new grass lower than 2" height and it stayed in the ground. You may pull a few new ones, but it's only grass after all. ;)

Your NC state extension office has guidelines how to mow new grass if you want following something official.

https://content.ces.ncsu.edu/carolina-lawns