Do I need to wait to plant trees?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
flyin-lowe
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 2 acre-5 acre
Level: Some Experience

Do I need to wait to plant trees?

Post by flyin-lowe » October 8th, 2023, 8:54 am

I brought home a couple maple trees yesterday that are about 4 foot tall I plan on planting. Due to the way things worked with the weather I ended up spraying my yard with Triplet sf yesterday as well. Will this application have any impact on me planting the two small maple trees? My gut tells me it is fine to plant, just want to make sure... I put the triplet down at 1 oz per 1K square feet.

flyin-lowe
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 2 acre-5 acre

Re: Do I need to wait to plant trees?

Post by flyin-lowe » October 8th, 2023, 12:22 pm

Tried finding an answer to this question on line and couldn't come up with anything. Everything I found talked about planting grass after applying. My assumption is that most of the herbicde is absorbed through the leaves which the new trees were not exposed to. It's been 24 hours since I sprayed the yard so I figure if there could be any affect by off gassing that time has passed as well. I went ahead and planted the trees since I have to leave for work tomorrow. I assumed if there were to be any issues with the roots the heavy waterd I did on the new trees would dilute the spray.

PSU4ME
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Midnight/Everglade Back: Midnight/Diva/Everest
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by PSU4ME » October 13th, 2023, 4:26 pm

Gosh I wouldn’t think it would affect trees given its mode of action. Hopefully they thrive now that the deed is done!

NJDan
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by NJDan » October 20th, 2023, 3:21 pm

Good luck with the trees but maples aren't so good around lawns from my experience. Our whole street was lined with them at one point. The problem is that they tend to grow roots on the surface of the ground sometimes a good 10' away from the tree. Now, that was for a mature tree. I suppose if you have an ample mulch bed under the tree you'd be OK.