Plant Now?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Smolenski7
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Plant Now?

Post by Smolenski7 » October 14th, 2023, 9:03 am

I have a small 4k reno going on in my back yard. I put seed (60% TTTF, 25% Rye, and 15% KBG) down on 9/15 and it has come in pretty good, but there are certainly some areas that are more bare than others. I'm thinking about throwing down some seed just in those spots. Thoughts?

Average first frost is tomorrow, but the 10 day forecast says lows in the middle/upper 40's, so I'm thinking I might have 2 weeks w/o any risk.

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Re: Plant Now?

Post by bpgreen » October 14th, 2023, 3:23 pm

That seems like it's cutting it pretty close. Rye would likely germinate in time. The fescue might germinate before then, but I don't know if it would be growing long enough to survive. The kbg would probably not get much if any germination.

Depending on the size of the bare spots, the kbg in the mix could well fill them in next year.

flyin-lowe
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 2 acre-5 acre

Post by flyin-lowe » October 15th, 2023, 11:23 am

I’ve always tried to get mine up and mowed at least one time (preferably twice) before the first frost. I would hold off personally.

Smolenski7

Post by Smolenski7 » November 1st, 2023, 9:01 pm

I ended up throwing down seed for a second time in just a few thinner spots of my reno back on 10/14, the date of my original post for this thread. As it turned out, the first frost will not occur until tonight, 11/1. That means I got 18 days for those seedlings to "mature" and 47 days for the first seedlings to establish themselves before the first frost.....in fact it really will be a freeze. I'm pretty happy with that since the seedlings should be big enough to handle it. My question tonight though is really more about mulching leaves into my reno. Any thoughts about mulching some maple leaves into the newly established lawn?

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Post by bpgreen » November 1st, 2023, 10:36 pm

I think the problem with mulching leaves into the lawn is that the new grass has shallow roots and a rotary mower creates suction while cutting. That leads to the possibility that the new head can bww pulled up by the roots. I'm a big proponent of mulching leaves, but with grass that young, I'd probably pass.

Smolenski7

Post by Smolenski7 » November 2nd, 2023, 9:26 am

bpgreen wrote:
November 1st, 2023, 10:36 pm
I think the problem with mulching leaves into the lawn is that the new grass has shallow roots and a rotary mower creates suction while cutting. That leads to the possibility that the new head can bww pulled up by the roots. I'm a big proponent of mulching leaves, but with grass that young, I'd probably pass.
Thanks. That's been my thought process too. I'm just not too sure because I've been mulching leaves since I was a kid (although back then it was out of share laziness) and totally believe that it is one of the best things a homeowner can do for his/her soil/lawn.