Too Late for Sod?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
NJDan
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Too Late for Sod?

Post by NJDan » October 25th, 2023, 2:43 pm

I have a juniper bed that grew and grew over the years. I removed all the juniper and now have a bare bed about 7 feet wide and maybe 50 feet long. I wanted to reclaim about 1 foot as lawn so that would be 1x50 sf of sod or seed. I'm in north NJ and I think there is still time to get sod down but it would be Home Depot sod as the garden center has no more. I put down about 800 sf of Bewitched seed on another part of the lawn in September and I have extra seed but I think it is too late to seed now.

So I'm thinking my only option is HD sod since nothing I put down in the spring is going to make it through summer (or will sod make it?). It their sod any good? Any option I haven't mentioned?

Thanks,
Dan

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Re: Too Late for Sod?

Post by bpgreen » October 25th, 2023, 4:31 pm

I don't know how good the sod at home depot is, but in terms of timing, I've read that sod can go down as long as the soil isn't frozen.

NJDan
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Too Late for Sod?

Post by NJDan » October 26th, 2023, 7:39 am

bpgreen wrote:
October 25th, 2023, 4:31 pm
I don't know how good the sod at home depot is, but in terms of timing, I've read that sod can go down as long as the soil isn't frozen.
Thank you for the reply!