TTTF Fertilizer & Pre Emergent Schedule

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
tlicious1020
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

TTTF Fertilizer & Pre Emergent Schedule

Post by tlicious1020 » December 27th, 2023, 3:16 am

I live in zone 9a. I aerated and overseeded with Scott's TTTF in 2022. My results were immaculate. So I decided to go next level in 2023. I aerated and overseeded this year with Stover's 4th Millennium Platinum TTTF on my front lawn. I used GCI Turf Academy Spreader Elite TTTF on my back lawn.

I used Scott's starter fertilizer in October. All seeds germinated within about 14 days. Fertilized in early November and December November with 15-15-15. I live in the valley where we have pretty warm winter temperatures.

Should I keep feeding my grass if our daytime temperatures are 58F-60F? My TTTF is growing slowly, but it's definitely absorbing the fertilizer.

I told my landscaper I'll continue applying my own fertilizer and pre emergent. I don't trust him after having to explain why you shouldn't do turns on a overseeded lawn for a few weeks. Anyway, he wanted to apply pre emergent in January 2024.

I typically aerate and overseed in early October. I would like to apply Dimension in February 2024 and May 2024 so I can overseed in late September or early October at my discretion.

1. Should I keep feeding my grass if our daytime temperatures are 58F-60F?

2. Does my pre emergent schedule of February and May make sense in order to overseed in September/October? FYSA: I have the Lesco Dimension WITHOUT Fertilizer.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: TTTF Fertilizer & Pre Emergent Schedule

Post by Green » December 27th, 2023, 11:52 pm

CA is different than the Northeast/Midwest. Most persnickety lawn people in CA do feed small amounts through the Winter. With the temps you have, you can often safely continue at low rates. You'll eventually learn how many applications you need after a few years of doing it, and be able to predict when it will need a bit.

For pre-M: you can adjust the rate such that it wear off several weeks before the scheduled overseed.

tlicious1020
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by tlicious1020 » December 29th, 2023, 5:26 am

Green wrote:
December 27th, 2023, 11:52 pm
CA is different than the Northeast/Midwest. Most persnickety lawn people in CA do feed small amounts through the Winter. With the temps you have, you can often safely continue at low rates. You'll eventually learn how many applications you need after a few years of doing it, and be able to predict when it will need a bit.

For pre-M: you can adjust the rate such that it wear off several weeks before the scheduled overseed.
Stover Seed company is located 7 hours away from me. They told me to wait until February for my next application of fertilizer. I was advised it's a great idea to do my fertilizer and pre emergent in February.

Thank you for taking the time to respond!

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » December 30th, 2023, 10:00 pm

Yeah, sounds about right. With highs around sixty, it's just about flawless for grass. It'll want a feed about every six weeks or so at that temperature, assuming perfect watering (with the atmospheric river I hear you guys are getting, that should be relatively true). Most of the people I work with are more down south, but even they're getting unusual rainfall, in the sense that it's actually raining occasionally.

If you detect the grass color getting lighter or growth slowing for no good reason, you can do a light, partial feed--quarter strength won't hurt. If color improves and growth resumes, that was the issue. If it doesn't, no harm done; a quarter strength feed won't cause any problems.