Possible advanced technique (Triv) idea/query

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Possible advanced technique (Triv) idea/query

Post by Green » January 9th, 2024, 9:37 pm

I have had good results with Sulfosulfuron (Certainty--or the branded generic "Sertay" which is labeled for cool season use) insofar as I have not done a lot of damage to my good grass with it.

But I've had at best only fair results as far as Triv control. Also, since Group 2 herbicides are highly subject to resistance (and I believe I've seen resistant Triv...I've written about that before), I do not use Sulfosulfuron every year.

Halosulfuron, another of the many Sulfonyl herbicides, and the only other one really used today in cool season turf, is widely regarded as having little to no control of Triv on its own. However it's also generally regarded as benign toward cool season turfgrasses.

Has anyone here with experience yet attempted a tank mix of Sulfosulfuron and Halosulfuron and put it up against straight Sulfosulfuron as an experiment? Sometimes control can be increased by tank mixing herbicides...whether related as in this case, or in other cases, those with differing modes of action.

Mixtures of other Sulfonylureas are sometimes used in (warm season) turf, agriculture, etc...which is where I got the idea.

If no one has tried it, I might try it. Of course, it might not improve control at all. Or maybe it'll kill the good grass totally. So it could be risky. Just wondering if anyone here (cough, Andy) has tried it yet or thought about it.

Thanks.

wis99ski
Grass Type: Front: Blueberry, Bewitched, Prosperity ---- Back: Bewitched, Everest, America
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Possible advanced technique (Triv) idea/query

Post by wis99ski » April 2nd, 2024, 12:33 pm

I’m waiting for POA Cure to be approved for residential