Spring Fertilization (After Fall Renovation)

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
NJDave
Grass Type: Elite KBG: Midnight II, Moonbeam, Blueberry, Prosperity, Bewitched & Boutique
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Spring Fertilization (After Fall Renovation)

Post by NJDave » April 2nd, 2011, 11:59 pm

Good Evening All :wave:

I am trying to come up with a fertilization plan that would best suit my new lawn in its first spring. I have fed my lawn two applications of Milorganite thus far (72 lbs / 2,500 SF Each), which I know is a pretty high amount, however given the microbial breakdown of the Nitrogen, the lawn usually can never have too much organic N.

Being that this is the first spring after a fall renovation, are there any special measures that I need to take as far as synthetic Nitrogen applications are concerned. Since it is obviously too early now (just preparing), I will not be making any of these synthetic applications until at least the middle to latter part of May. I will say that I am extremely pleased with the results thus far since the lawn is fully awake and very green despite being early in its first year. Perhaps it was the timing and strong winterizing application of the Vigoro Super Green that may have progressed things quickly, despite the lousy Spring weather here in NJ.....Anyway, a couple of questions & references regarding these feedings are shown below, so I was just looking for some more further clarification.

The conception is that a new lawn needs nitrogen to support growth and to maintain its viability. I have read the "Philes Phertilizer Lecture" a number of times, which stresses the importance of the N feedings in order to obtain a high quality KBG lawn, especially new renovations. Link is attached as a reference.aroundtheyard.com/renovations/too-late-for-reno-plan-was-overseed-t2871-80.html#p37184

Another topic that I came across that specifically addressed my question, however the answer (to me) was not specified concisely, was asked by GaryCinChicago 2 years ago.
aroundtheyard.com/northern/npk-down-and-all-around-t274.html#p1462
GaryCinChicago wrote:
GaryCinChicago wrote:
Bestlawn wrote:Additionally, I think new grass benefits considerably from nitrogen in spring.
Mallory, could you expand on this thought some more? This is the jest of my thoughts in this post.
This goes against the general thought and at the expensive of root development ... _OR_ does it maybe promote root growth, due to the lack of maturity?
TTT
Does this Spring Nitrogen benefit fall in the lines of the one synthetic application that is suggested during late May or should this include a more aggressive fertilization approach as outlined by the Philes Plan? I just want to do what's best for the lawn. I don't want too much synthetic N, but I don't want to short change the development of the new lawn by neglecting additional synthetic Nitrogen that it could very well need during its infancy stage. Do the numerous Milorganite applications (that I have done & plan to do) contribute to the necessary feeding that the new lawn needs or do I need more N synthetically?

I appreciate any comments, etc.....Thanks.

simpson
Grass Type: moonlight slt

Re: Spring Fertilization (After Fall Renovation)

Post by simpson » April 3rd, 2011, 12:21 am

I am still unsure about the first spring after a reno but Gary feels very strong about what Philes wrote.

I feel that a light constant feeding is best. Split your apps into two drops so there is no up and down in feeding. Sod farms feed light apps every two weeks and they have great grass.

Now I do not know what that does for roots because sod farms cut them when they role up the sod for shipping.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » April 3rd, 2011, 12:50 am

Somebody did their research this evening. All I got done was planting six Teddy Bear sunflowers and some wash.
NJDave wrote:I am trying to come up with a fertilization plan that would best suit my new lawn in its first spring. I have fed my lawn two applications of Milorganite thus far (72 lbs / 2,500 SF Each), which I know is a pretty high amount, however given the microbial breakdown of the Nitrogen, the lawn usually can never have too much organic N.
High, but not terribly high. That works out to 28.8 pounds per thousand of Milorganite, or 1.4 pounds N per K or so.

I dropped more than that today. Mine was corn, so not so much N total, but still. And this is my lightest year of the last three.
Being that this is the first spring after a fall renovation, are there any special measures that I need to take as far as synthetic Nitrogen applications are concerned. Since it is obviously too early now (just preparing), I will not be making any of these synthetic applications until at least the middle to latter part of May.
Given that you obviously know what's what, not really, no. Don't exceed 1 pound synthetic N per K, of course, and after May the next drop on that will be Labor Day. I consider the mid-June use of synthetics imprudent when, by July fourth, our weather's usually already turning hot and dry. Organics, absolutely. Fire at will. If we didn't have organics in the arsenal, I'd probably just use the synthetics--but I wouldn't like it.

If you're very careful, and absolutely certain to water regularly (a must for a first year reno anyway), you can gently spoon feed about 0.2 pounds quickly available N every 2 weeks via synthetics. If you're not certain about the weather (I'd certainly skip it in hot, dry conditions), or if you can't water, don't. If the idea makes you uncomfortable, skip it--the organics can certainly bridge the gap with no issues.
I will say that I am extremely pleased with the results thus far since the lawn is fully awake and very green despite being early in its first year. Perhaps it was the timing and strong winterizing application of the Vigoro Super Green that may have progressed things quickly, despite the lousy Spring weather here in NJ.....Anyway, a couple of questions & references regarding these feedings are shown below, so I was just looking for some more further clarification.
Ding, we have a winner. Yep, that winterization really makes the difference between a lousy winter color and high levels of dormancy and...not. Given that it was a fairly harsh winter as well, it's only going to get better every year. My February lawn looked like my early April lawn two years ago.
The conception is that a new lawn needs nitrogen to support growth and to maintain its viability. I have read the "Philes Phertilizer Lecture" a number of times, which stresses the importance of the N feedings in order to obtain a high quality KBG lawn, especially new renovations. Link is attached as a reference.aroundtheyard.com/renovations/too-late-for-reno-plan-was-overseed-t2871-80.html#p37184
Philes was brilliant. I still wouldn't do the June synthetic thing on a first year lawn. The roots aren't very sturdy and I'm not a fan of stressing them right before summer. Like I said, though, fire away with the organics.
Another topic that I came across that specifically addressed my question, however the answer (to me) was not specified concisely, was asked by GaryCinChicago 2 years ago.
aroundtheyard.com/northern/npk-down-and-all-around-t274.html#p1462
Hey, y'want succinct, get a fortune cookie. :-)

It's interesting to note my own evolution. I had one soil test early on, and as of 2010 wouldn't dream of NOT having one at least every two years. Since I'm still altering the soil, yearly.
Does this Spring Nitrogen benefit fall in the lines of the one synthetic application that is suggested during late May or should this include a more aggressive fertilization approach as outlined by the Philes Plan? I just want to do what's best for the lawn. I don't want too much synthetic N, but I don't want to short change the development of the new lawn by neglecting additional synthetic Nitrogen that it could very well need during its infancy stage. Do the numerous Milorganite applications (that I have done & plan to do) contribute to the necessary feeding that the new lawn needs or do I need more N synthetically?
This is so not a simple answer. Can you use more synthetic? Absolutely--just make sure you never overdo it and water a lot. Could you use 100% organics instead? Yes. I brought in my renovation and do all my feeding organically except for winterization (when it's too late for organics). Except for that and topping the tank on P, I haven't used any synthetics since 2006 on the lawn--barring one cheat last year to kick the thing along in September when it was reticent to go.

My junk drawer memory doesn't locate how long you've been organic (it's probably hiding behind the extra twist ties and those strange screws I'm afraid to throw out).

A first-year organic program may or may not be enough to support the lawn as the micro-organisms and important macro insects probably aren't at sufficient population just yet.

Second or further on, no problem. Mine was at 1 1/2 years when I did my reno, and everything came in beautifully, grew like gangbusters, and effortlessly coasted through its first year, filling holes and settling in for the long haul.

In 2007, I dumped 15.4 pounds total N, 14.4 of that organic (1 lb winterizer).

Excessive use of synthetic nitrogen in spring and summer tends to shift the growth up top. Keyword: Excessive. 1 pound N in May and 1 in June is not excessive, particularly on a new lawn. Spoon feeding in July and August isn't going to be excessive. Hitting it hard in September, October, and November is actually recommended.

Hyper-excessive organics won't cause the growth shift at any time, they simply can't dump N in that fast. They backlog and wait, moving into bacterial mass (and fungal mass, worm mass, and so on) instead. The bacterial and fungal stuff you'll get back as the N peters out and their hunters catch up. The worm mass you may have to wait five or six years on. :-) I have yet to really ever let the N peter out, and have no real plans to do so--I'll still be in the 10-15 pounds N range this year.

For a first year lawn, I'd target the 6-10 pounds N per thousand range, with 6-8 being more reasonable synthetically and involving a lot of close observation, water, and care. Organically, anything in the range is fine, but if you wished, as I did, to drop 37 pounds N per thousand organically (2009), feel free to do so.

GaryCinChicago
Grass Type: KBG

Post by GaryCinChicago » April 3rd, 2011, 1:47 am

Hey Dave!
The conception is that a new lawn needs nitrogen to support growth and to maintain its viability.
OK. Three references to nitrogen on a reno. Philes, Mallory (Bestlawn) and myself. Various university agronomists and golf course superintendents will say the same and this is where we get the info from.

The key point is - we all baby the reno. We all water the new lawn before it shows signs of any stress and as Simpson states - use split applications - i.e. 'spoon feeding'

You're digging what you see so far, you're not going to suddenly change into average Joe home owner now, so we both know you will be babying the lawn this year, making sure it is watered properly, LOL!

For Jersey? I don't know ... been there once before and the weather didn't seem any different than Chicago ... I suppose that pond to your right warms things up sooner in spring maybe. Other than that ?

April 15, are you making your first mow usually? You know, the clean up mow - just to make things start to look neater and trimmed?

By May 1st, is the spring flush happening in Jersey, where you are mowing twice a week now to avoid breaking the 1/3rd rule?

IF so ... then drop half a half pound of N on the 1st, and another .5 Lb two weeks later on the 15th. June the same thing. Half apps every two weeks. By July 1st, it's time for GrubX and time to stop the synthetic N. For now you have 2 Lbs of N down on young and hungry grass. July and August, continue fertilizing but now with Milorganite only. Hit it with all you can afford. The grass will love the iron in the heat of summer.

Labor Day it starts to cool down ... your lawn is fully mature, having survived a winter and a summer, now you can revert back to normal fertilizing schedules ... 1Lb N in Sept, Oct and Nov. Year ends with 5Lbs N on new turf. (OK, 5 plus pounds, but I don't acknowledge the N from Milorganite since it is very little and organic)

Then 2012, you use the 3 to 4 Lbs of N regular schedule. Once in spring and then nail it in fall.

I know you will read the organic recommendations, but I have read many opinions that I respect that say - first year, get it up and established on synthetics. Then the second year (2012) move into organics.

simpson
Grass Type: moonlight slt

Post by simpson » April 3rd, 2011, 9:29 am

Mallory (bestlawn) always said that a first year lawn needs to be feed with synthetic's to get it going before you start with the organics. If you are able to use milorganite threw spring as well I would keep at it.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

jglongisland

Post by jglongisland » April 3rd, 2011, 10:01 am

This fall I supplemented Urea into my heavy organic plan (I put down over 1,300 lbs/thousand last year). In retrospect I think one application of Vigro and/or Urea around May 1 would have helped me out. The synthetic boost in the fall made a big difference to may lawn and spreading, I used straight urea weekly for 6 week in the all s at a really light rate. The most important thing with synthetics/urea is good spreader control. A slip with Milorganite doesn't hurt, a slip with urea is a brown patch in a few days.

I agree on the watering, don't let it get stressed at all.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » April 3rd, 2011, 11:57 am

Oh, look, we all have different philosophies again. :-)

None are wrong. All will work. It comes down to what you're comfortable with.

NJDave
Grass Type: Elite KBG: Midnight II, Moonbeam, Blueberry, Prosperity, Bewitched & Boutique

Post by NJDave » April 3rd, 2011, 10:56 pm

Guys,
I really appreciate the quality responses and knowledge that each of you have shared, even though (and as Eric stated) some of you may practice some different techniques. However, in some shape or form, It seems to be the consensus that a May & June synthetic application (one pound of N per k each), along with the continuance of Milorganite is the way to go.

Just a couple follow ups....The May application (whether in 2 half apps or 1 whole) would definitely consist of a fast release N. What are your thoughts on the June application being comprised of a 70%+ high quality slow release (IBDU or MESA), which would provide a constant feed into the September time frame. Is this method beneficial, or should I stick with a quick release N in June that would then fizzle out during the first half of July, keeping in mind that MO will continue to be dropped.

Watering? I know the mantra of deep, infrequent irrigation to provide strong roots, etc. Since most, if not all of you mentioned the necessity of watering for the new lawn, is there anything different that I should do with the my watering plan (i.e. more frequent waterings) or should I just continue with the deep, 1 inch per week watering and monitor the response from the grass?

Thanks again and can't wait for Spring to stay for good. Got teased a bit 2 weeks ago with (2) 75+ degree days, meanwhile last week had 5 days in a row with lows in the 20's and highs in the 40's.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by andy10917 » April 3rd, 2011, 11:04 pm

I'll jump in with a "fine tuning" add-on for the D&I watering. It matters especially for April.

In my "rule", any shower(s) that don't total 1/4" or more in a single day don't count toward the weekly total. In other words, 1/7" of rain each day does not equate to 1" a week. Quick showers imitate shallow watering, not what we are looking for.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » April 3rd, 2011, 11:12 pm

NJDave wrote:Just a couple follow ups....The May application (whether in 2 half apps or 1 whole) would definitely consist of a fast release N. What are your thoughts on the June application being comprised of a 70%+ high quality slow release (IBDU or MESA), which would provide a constant feed into the September time frame. Is this method beneficial, or should I stick with a quick release N in June that would then fizzle out during the first half of July, keeping in mind that MO will continue to be dropped.
If you use a synthetic like Vigoro Super Green with a large amount of slow-release N (about a third), it would dump 1 pound N at once (good) and 0.5 pounds over the next five months (possibly good). A disproportionate amount of that will be in July and August (good), although not hugely disproportionate (fine).

The Milorganite would help bridge any gaps there.

That doesn't bother me if that's what you want to do (hybridized synthetic/organic). I'd still strike it with fast release in September and October (and maybe November first the way our Novembers have gone lately), but remember to subtract off the nominal 0.1 pounds N per thousand the Super Green would still be dropping (if you use Super Green).

For other feeds, the bag will give the amount of slow release and expected release times. Those release times assume normal rainfall, which we may or may not get, but irrigation counts too.
Watering? I know the mantra of deep, infrequent irrigation to provide strong roots, etc. Since most, if not all of you mentioned the necessity of watering for the new lawn, is there anything different that I should do with the my watering plan (i.e. more frequent waterings) or should I just continue with the deep, 1 inch per week watering and monitor the response from the grass?
This year, you'll be more tethered to the Let The Grass Tell You method than any other. Later on, like mine, I actually let it stress and don't jump right on it when it first starts to turn grayish. It has to look pretty pathetic, actually, before I'll water it. What I'm saying is, "Don't bother Daddy, you're an adult. Grow deeper roots."

This is not the year to do that. Water at the first sign of stress over a good percentage of the lawn--say, half. You can start with the down-turn once it reaches a year old. The second year, a small bit of drought stress isn't a bad thing (keywords: small bit).

You're going to find that you water a fair bit this year, assuming an average summer. That's normal for a first year lawn.
Thanks again and can't wait for Spring to stay for good. Got teased a bit 2 weeks ago with (2) 75+ degree days, meanwhile last week had 5 days in a row with lows in the 20's and highs in the 40's.
Tell me about it. On the up side, I've rarely seen the crocus bloom this long, and the earliest daffodil and snow glories have been exceedingly durable, too!
I'll jump in with a "fine tuning" add-on for the D&I watering. It matters especially for April.

In my "rule", any shower(s) that don't total 1/4" or more in a single day don't count toward the weekly total. In other words, 1/7" of rain each day does not equate to 1" a week. Quick showers imitate shallow watering, not what we are looking for.
But they bring May flowers! May flowers!

True. In my case, although counting at 0, the soil's saturated enough that it doesn't matter--and should stay that way into May up here in the foothills.

GaryCinChicago

Post by GaryCinChicago » April 3rd, 2011, 11:40 pm

NJDave wrote: It seems to be the consensus that a May & June synthetic application (one pound of N per k each), along with the continuance of Milorganite is the way to go.
Just to clarify for those reading. Yes, this year only and only because you renovated last fall.
Just a couple follow ups....The May application (whether in 2 half apps or 1 whole) would definitely consist of a fast release N. What are your thoughts on the June application being comprised of a 70%+ high quality slow release (IBDU or MESA), which would provide a constant feed into the September time frame. Is this method beneficial, or should I stick with a quick release N in June that would then fizzle out during the first half of July, keeping in mind that MO will continue to be dropped.
+1 on the slow release in June, although both of those Lebanon and Greenview products are little too expensive.
Your local Lesco sells some great slow release Polymer Coated Sulfur Coated fertilizers. +/- $30 for 50lbs.

This link explains nitrogen coatings more http://mining.state.co.us/TechnicalBull ... lizers.pdf

NJDave

Post by NJDave » April 4th, 2011, 11:45 am

Just to clarify for those reading. Yes, this year only and only because you renovated last fall.
Understood!!
+1 on the slow release in June, although both of those Lebanon and Greenview products are little too expensive.
Your local Lesco sells some great slow release Polymer Coated Sulfur Coated fertilizers. +/- $30 for 50lbs.
Great!! Thanks again

GeorgiaDad
Grass Type: Frontyard: Award, NuChicago, Midnight. kbg Backyard: Mutt Fescue with a little Midnight kbg thrown in.

Post by GeorgiaDad » May 25th, 2013, 9:08 am

Just thought I'd bump this back up. I book marked this last year and always refer back to it. Lots of good information.

mattya
Grass Type: Bewitched, Prosperity, Moonlight SLT

Post by mattya » May 25th, 2013, 11:17 am

Good bump GD. Thanks for that - Some good info. Bookmarking.

zhotster
Grass Type: KGB
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Post by zhotster » May 26th, 2013, 1:53 pm

This is a good bump! I'm going the 1/2 feedings, my second was 2 days ago. We're getting a good amount of rain, but I'm keeping an eye on the lawn. I have my Milo all ready to go for July and am looking forward to a good summer!

wis99ski
Grass Type: Front: Blueberry, Bewitched, Prosperity ---- Back: Bewitched, Everest, America

Post by wis99ski » April 2nd, 2015, 10:13 pm

to the top

tlinden
Grass Type: Bewitched, Blue Velvet, Prosperity

Post by tlinden » April 3rd, 2015, 7:10 am

Thanks!

[ Post made via Android ] Image

LoneRanger
Grass Type: Front/Side - Emblem, Back - Panterra V

Post by LoneRanger » April 3rd, 2015, 6:43 pm

GaryCinChicago wrote:This link explains nitrogen coatings more http://mining.state.co.us/TechnicalBull ... lizers.pdf
Here is the new link.

http://mining.state.co.us/SiteCollectio ... lizers.pdf

oze
Grass Type: Northern mix transitioning to Regenerating Perennial Ryegrass
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Some Experience

Post by oze » April 22nd, 2016, 8:48 am

I bookmarked this excellent thread last year as I was doing research here for my overseed project, and thought that a bump might help others who did renos last year.

seiyafan
Grass Type: Bewitched mono and TTTF/KBG mix

Post by seiyafan » April 22nd, 2016, 9:52 am

Nice info, I didn't expect that synthetic application in May/June was recommended over organic for a reno.