Critters in my mulched beds

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
snachs
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Critters in my mulched beds

Post by snachs » May 15th, 2009, 8:00 pm

Day three now that I find holes in my mulched beds. Today, there are lots of them. Thankfully, I don't see any damage to plants and I don't see any holes on the lawn, even right next to the beds. Not sure specifically who the culprits are.

What is everyone's preferred method for control/eradication? I want to make sure I address it before I do see any damage, especially in the lawn!

GaryCinChicago

Re: Critters in my mulched beds

Post by GaryCinChicago » May 15th, 2009, 8:22 pm

A .410 ga is nice and quiet! My car back fired - must be cheap gas I bought.

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Post by bpgreen » May 15th, 2009, 8:40 pm

How large are the holes? Make sure these are critters you don't want before you start killing them.

snachs

Post by snachs » May 15th, 2009, 9:17 pm

Some small. Others seem 1-2 inch diameter. I'm a rookie here but guessing moles/voles or something of that sort.

I'm not on a mission to kill. Anything I can do to drive them away? Do those electronic stakes work? I've read discussions here of milorganite being used with other grains to discourage birds when feeding the lawn. Would miloranite work for in this case too? If so, I could apply small amounts regularly to avoid over fertilizing???

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » May 15th, 2009, 10:01 pm

I've noticed chipmunks like to root around in my mulch - I'm not sure what they're looking for. I have no idea if you have chipmunks down by your area.

I found that Milorganite keeps the deer (rats on stilts) away for about three weeks. I'm not sure whether the "got used to it" factor ever kicks in (it does with many other deer repellents). I'm currently trying blood meal around my Hostas to take a break on the Milorganite. But you could probably put down a 50% rate Milorganite down every three weeks and do it indefinitely - it is slow-acting and low enough in N to do that. You may wind up with Marigolds the size of Oak trees, though. :shock:

I don't want to chase birds away, but they did stay away for a week the first time I used Milorganite.

It didn't bother squirrels at all (rats with bushy tails). Since squirrels and chipmunks are pretty closely related, I wouldn't expect them to be bothered by Milorganite.

I've had a 600-lb Bear around lately. He likes to steal the bird feeders for the seed and suet. Sorry, but I'm not going to stand around and find out if Milorganite angers him. You can come over (and hold a fresh salmon) in the middle of the front yard and find out for yourself.