Opinions on SoilMoist Seed Coat

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Opinions on SoilMoist Seed Coat

Post by andy10917 » August 31st, 2011, 8:41 pm

I'm interested in gathering everyone's reactions to the SoilMoist Seed Coat stuff. If you used it, what did you think of the results? I'd like to get the reactions while it's fresh in folks' minds, so we know whether to recommend it next Renovation Season...

jglongisland
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Opinions on SoilMoist Seed Coat

Post by jglongisland » August 31st, 2011, 8:50 pm

andy10917 wrote:I'm interested in gathering everyone's reactions to the SoilMoist Seed Coat stuff. If you used it, what did you think of the results? I'd like to get the reactions while it's fresh in folks' minds, so we know whether to recommend it next Renovation Season...
Seems to have helped, although I think one needs to use it at a much higher rate for KBG than the labeled rate. I used about 1/4 lb with 10 lbs of seed, I think I could have used 1/2 to 1 lb.

xxryu139xx
Grass Type: Elite KBG: Emblem/NuGlade/Bedazzled

Post by xxryu139xx » August 31st, 2011, 8:52 pm

I had early germination at day 6 and I'm still seeing germination right now at day 20. My germination was patchy with some areas growing in quicker and thicker and other areas that are just germinating now and is still thin. I would say my coverage is about 80-90% now and the KBG should fill in the space between each plant.

well it's real hard to discern if it plays a big factor with improving germination with so many extraneous factors such as Hurricane Irene and 21 inches of total rainfall for the month.

i did start pots two days after planting. I didn't use any soil moist seed coat and MO on them, only starter and peat moss. They were constantly damp with bottom-watering from a tray. if we can consider this as a control, i had germination on it at day 7.

of course, i couldn't keep the whole lawn constantly damp, but that's what the soil moist is supposed to do and i had germination at day 6 with it. my coverage is close 90%, may be with some losses from birds, erosion and bad seeds. i would say its a "nice to have" in the arsenal for seeding. after-all its cheap and if you are going to buy a bunch of stuff from EH Griffith too for the reno, the shipping and handling will be well worth it.
Last edited by xxryu139xx on August 31st, 2011, 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Depalma
Grass Type: TTTF/KBG mix

Post by Depalma » August 31st, 2011, 8:53 pm

I used it this year. My germination this year compared to last year's back yard renovation was quicker and more even. However, I had more rain so far than last year as well, so I'm not sure how much of the difference is attributed to soil moist, how much to the weather, and how much to other factors.

I do think it at least contributed some to the improvement and will definitely use it again if I ever do another renovation and would recommend it to others. At worst, it is an inexpensive insurance policy.

ez2luvlawn
Grass Type: Blueberry / Emblem / Prosperity / Moonlight SLT KBG

Post by ez2luvlawn » August 31st, 2011, 9:39 pm

I am a firm believer in the product and I will use it again. I used a rate of 2 lbs to 50 lbs of seed and I feel that did very well in keeping my seeds moist as my area has been very very dry with only 1/2" of rain in the past 6 weeks and temps in the 80's. I used very little peat moss in my reno which I spread at approx 1/8" thick at most in only certain areas, I watered 3 times per day at 15 minutes per time and my seed bed stayed moist at all times with the exception of a couple of days with temps in the mid 90's I had to water more because I had areas dry out. Slightly drier in the areas with no peat with the high temps. I had seed germination on day 7-8 and believe I have fairly good coverage now as I am 17 days in. It met my personal objectives which were to keep my seedlings moist and I wanted to save some expense on peat moss because I did a large area and wanted to cut costs somewhere. Soilmoist seed coating is cheap and I like cheap. It has done what I wanted it to do so far.

bernstem
Grass Type: Front: Solar Eclipse/Award/Bewitched/Moonlight SLT/Prosperity Back: Solar Eclipse Monostand + Bewitched (shade)

Post by bernstem » August 31st, 2011, 10:25 pm

There is simply not enough information to say if it makes any difference. All we have are anecdotal examples with far too many confoinding variables to say anything.

I could say that my front lawn has better germination than the back. I used soilmoist on both, but the back was added after the seeds were down. Of course the front has in ground irrigation and seeding blankets. Too many other things are different.

If we want to do something that might mean something, someone should start 20 pots or so and use soiloist on half. Otherwise treat them the same. To be even better, start another 20 more with half using soilmoist, but irrigate less to see if the soilmoist can compensate for poor irrigation.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.

Post by turf_toes » August 31st, 2011, 10:33 pm

Yeah. I don't think there's any way to say that a product like that made a real difference. When I did my renovations I used dead grass as my "moisture retainer." I had some germination on my KBG at day 4 or 5. Maybe I should patent my dead grass technique and ask for royalties from all future renovators. ;)

I've obviously never used the product in question, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. But the product seems kind of gimmicky to me.

silver8ack
Grass Type: Northern Mix (Poa T, Poa A included)

Post by silver8ack » August 31st, 2011, 11:08 pm

I didn't use it, but I have a question... Does it remain in/on the soil for an extended period of time?

NJDave
Grass Type: Elite KBG: Midnight II, Moonbeam, Blueberry, Prosperity, Bewitched & Boutique

Post by NJDave » August 31st, 2011, 11:32 pm

Of all years for a product to start. The amount of rainfall has been crazy, which in itself has kept the seeds moist. I will say that this year's renovation started sprouting at 6 days, while last year's began at day 8. Again, is it the soil moist or the rain.

In any event, it is a good insurance policy, especially in a normally drier climate. I would certainly use it again.
silver8ack wrote:I didn't use it, but I have a question... Does it remain in/on the soil for an extended period of time?
I believe it lasts for around three months. The sun eventually breaks it down.

haboustak
Grass Type: northern mix

Post by haboustak » September 1st, 2011, 12:56 am

bernstem wrote:If we want to do something that might mean something, someone should start 20 pots or so and use soiloist on half.
I think that's still too subjective. We know that moisture level is a key factor in seed germination, and so we're applying SoilMoist in hopes that it smooths the moisture curve of the top X inches of soil.

A quantitative analysis could just use a moisture meter to graph the effects of SoilMoist on soil moisture over time with watering occurring at regular intervals. No seed necessary for that, but I think exposure to real atmospheric conditions like sun and wind may be important.

If the average moisture of the soil is higher (as advertised) then it must be helping, right?

Gregg
Grass Type: Moonlight slt, bewitched, prosperity

Post by Gregg » September 1st, 2011, 7:12 am

I didn't use soil moist and got germination in day 5. I have seed left, if anyone wants to send me some soil moist I can plant pots for a comparison.

HanLawn
Grass Type: COCHISE IV,FALCON V,FAITH TTTF + KBG

Post by HanLawn » September 1st, 2011, 10:57 am

Seed needs moisture to germinate....if you can properly supply the moisture,then the soil moist product does nothing "extra".

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » September 1st, 2011, 11:05 am

+1 HanLawn. It's insurance against drying out, but if you're watering three times a day that's not going to happen.

However, even if I were doing that, I think these days I'd still use it. It's cheap...and what if one of my stations decided not to go off?

jayjay99
Grass Type: I don't know

Post by jayjay99 » September 1st, 2011, 3:31 pm

I've used it (at t least double the rate) and see a difference in germination. It seems to germinate more evenly (I find) and just slightly quicker. Just my 2 cents.

RockyMtnTurf
Grass Type: Soon to be Bedazzled, Moonlight SLT, Midnight

Post by RockyMtnTurf » September 1st, 2011, 8:33 pm

Being in a medical field, I look at it in the same way as I would a treatment plan for a patient:

1. Are there studies to back using it? Well, maybe not at this point, but there's some anecdotal evidence that it seems to be working for people

2. Will it harm anything if I use it? No

3. Is it cost prohibitive for a somewhat unproven "treatment"? No

I really can't say much about germination time since mine seems to be right on par with everyone else. I can, however, say that we've had the driest, hottest August on record here in CO, and that my seed still germinated in 7 days. Was it the soil moist? Who knows. Would I use it again? Absolutely!

HanLawn

Post by HanLawn » September 1st, 2011, 9:45 pm

does the medical profession no longer first ask is there a need for this treatment, and will it actually help the condition before considering if the treatment will cause harm or its financial impact?

RockyMtnTurf

Post by RockyMtnTurf » September 1st, 2011, 9:55 pm

Without getting into a discussion on the medical profession as a whole...I believe number 1 above addresses whether it will help or not. I already said that some think it may help although we're not entirely sure. Need for "treatment" as far as something like Soil Moist is purely elective (it's not absolutely necessary)...therefore, yes, price comes into play.

bernstem
Grass Type: Front: Solar Eclipse/Award/Bewitched/Moonlight SLT/Prosperity Back: Solar Eclipse Monostand + Bewitched (shade)

Post by bernstem » September 2nd, 2011, 9:38 am

I used it on my renovation this fall. That being said, I don't think we have any proof or strong evidence it helps. It certainly doesn't seem to hurt. Since it doesn't cost much and it may provide insurance against drying out, I would use it again.

HanLawn

Post by HanLawn » September 2nd, 2011, 1:42 pm

I have little doubt it works, however I think 99% of us here are enthusiasts who are diligent in keeping the seedbed moist mitigating any possible benefit from using it {a good thing,as Martha would say}......now for your typical homeowner{thinking my brother in law who spread seed and maybe watered it every other day at best} it could be a life saver{for the lawn}.

RockyMtnTurf

Post by RockyMtnTurf » September 2nd, 2011, 3:27 pm

HanLawn wrote:I have little doubt it works, however I think 99% of us here are enthusiasts who are diligent in keeping the seedbed moist mitigating any possible benefit from using it {a good thing,as Martha would say}......now for your typical homeowner{thinking my brother in law who spread seed and maybe watered it every other day at best} it could be a life saver{for the lawn}.
That's a good point. For most who can water adequately it could very well be just something that turns out to help us anal types sleep a little better at night. Also, the germination rate of the seed people on this board are using is probably quite a bit higher, and the seed is more viable than big box seed. For those who can't water as evenly/often or are using lesser quality seed, it could provide an added benefit during a string of hot days. Then again, if you don't care enough to water well and buy good seed, why would you care about buying soil moist?