Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
mylawnsux
Grass Type: Blackjack Bermuda
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: A BIG Thank You To BESTLAWN and the gang

Post by mylawnsux » June 17th, 2009, 6:20 am

kingofgreen wrote:
talldesk wrote:You did a very good job. Did you RU the old lawn before putting down the elite seeds ?
Thank you talldesk and yes I RU`d the whole lawn (10K sqft) last August

Last August

Last week

Beautiful lawn, KOG. About that August pic.....did you put seed down over that dead grass, or did you rake it up/clear it out first? I'm planning to renovate this August myself, so I'm curious about the process.

stotty295
Grass Type: Bermuda/Fescue

Post by stotty295 » June 17th, 2009, 11:18 am

You may be right. Those bastards!!

skizot
Grass Type: Defiance XRE TTTF

Post by skizot » June 17th, 2009, 11:29 am

turf_toes wrote:Your ISP might be blocking them (say, if you are surfing from a work account).
stotty295 wrote:You may be right. Those bastards!!
Depending on how your work is doing the blocking, you may be able to just change your DNS server.

PJD
Grass Type: Lesco PR (and I'm very happy so far!)

Post by PJD » June 17th, 2009, 6:04 pm

Jaw dropping lawn, well done!

One question, how are youw atering? do you have an in-ground sprinkler system or are you moving the hose and sprinkler around the yard?

kingofgreen
Grass Type: Elite KBG

Post by kingofgreen » June 17th, 2009, 10:49 pm

Beautiful lawn, KOG. About that August pic.....did you put seed down over that dead grass, or did you rake it up/clear it out first? I'm planning to renovate this August myself, so I'm curious about the process.

Thanks!!

After I gave the lawn the final dose of RU, I scalped the lawn then raked all the dead grass up I could by hand. Then I used a core aerator over the entire lawn until I exposed as much soil as possible,spread the seed,starer fertilzer with CG preventer , heavy rolled,top dressed with peat moss and keep the soil moist for weeks

Alot of what I did you can find here....http://lawnsmarts.com/viewtopic.php?t=3 ... renovation

kingofgreen

Post by kingofgreen » June 17th, 2009, 10:54 pm

PJD wrote:Jaw dropping lawn, well done!

One question, how are youw atering? do you have an in-ground sprinkler system or are you moving the hose and sprinkler around the yard?

Thank you!!!

No irrigation system here,YET :D I`m a drag a hose and sprinkler type of guy.

10 hoses 10 sprinklers and 8 timers JOY!!!

PJD
Grass Type: Lesco PR (and I'm very happy so far!)

Post by PJD » June 17th, 2009, 11:23 pm

kingofgreen wrote:

Thank you!!!

Cool, that gives me hope! An irrigation system is way out of my budget right now.

kingofgreen

Post by kingofgreen » June 18th, 2009, 11:19 pm

PJD wrote:
kingofgreen wrote:

Thank you!!!

Cool, that gives me hope! An irrigation system is way out of my budget right now.

As it is with many renovators.....Yur gonna wanna determine the best sprinklers and timers for your renovation and run with it. The whole idea is to keep the lawn MOIST until the seeds germinate.

GaryCinChicago
Grass Type: KBG

Post by GaryCinChicago » June 19th, 2009, 12:32 am

kingofgreen wrote:
How about showing everyone a picture of your "quadrapuss" set-up?

s1mpl3k1d
Grass Type: KGB Emblem, Midnight II entire lawn

Post by s1mpl3k1d » June 21st, 2009, 1:07 am

That is unbelievable, stunning and gorgeous KOG! I'm so jealous. I should have followed you guys last year and not overseeded.

It is really going to happen this year because my lawn looks very sad with very happy weeds! It is the ugliest now. Or maybe the second, hahaha. Because the ugliest is the open lot beside my property with millions of weeds!!! It's a very very tough battle! :(

KOG, did you use a slit seeder?

Beautiful!!! ;)

kingofgreen

Post by kingofgreen » June 22nd, 2009, 11:40 pm

GaryCinChicago wrote:
kingofgreen wrote:
How about showing everyone a picture of your "quadrapuss" set-up?

kingofgreen

Post by kingofgreen » June 22nd, 2009, 11:59 pm

s1mpl3k1d wrote:That is unbelievable, stunning and gorgeous KOG! I'm so jealous. I should have followed you guys last year and not overseeded.

It is really going to happen this year because my lawn looks very sad with very happy weeds! It is the ugliest now. Or maybe the second, hahaha. Because the ugliest is the open lot beside my property with millions of weeds!!! It's a very very tough battle! :(

KOG, did you use a slit seeder?

Beautiful!!! ;)

Thanks buddy,you can join the 2009 renovators!!! :clapping:

I used a core aerator, I wanted to expose as much soil as possible and was pleased with my results

Before the core aerator

After going over the lawn with the aerator numerous times in numerous directions.....I drank a beer

Then I used a simple Scotts broadcast spreader for the seed and fertilzer, then top dressed with 10 bales of Peat moss

Finally HEAVY ROLLED EVERYTHING in with my tractor roller attachment. Some are for rolling some are against it all I can say is it worked for ME!!

Then kept everything moist for weeks,,,that was he hard part for me. I overatered and had rust issues but that is a different story

The end result June09

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Post by bpgreen » June 23rd, 2009, 12:07 am

Wow, you really aerated the heck out of the lawn. That's the way to do it to ensure good seed to soil contact.

Is that rectangular thing on the faucet a timer for the sprinklers? I've got an inground system so I don't need something like that, but that would be really cool for somebody who wants to do a renovation but otherwise wouldn't need a timed system.

kingofgreen

Post by kingofgreen » June 23rd, 2009, 12:14 am

I used the orbit automatic watering system. The kit comes with the timer and two control valves, you can add 2 more giving you a total of 4 valves. Each valve can have 3 different start and stop cycles. Worked wonders for me. I had two of these set ups.

http://www.amazon.com/Orbit-62032-Yard- ... B000BH7KQO

kellyinportlandia
Grass Type: None currently

Post by kellyinportlandia » July 5th, 2016, 3:33 pm

Hi KingofGreen! Would you mind sharing the link where you posted your "how to". Your lawn is amazing. I'm about to do the same process and would love to have a cheat sheet to follow. Thanks!!
Kelly in Portland, OR

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » July 5th, 2016, 3:48 pm

You resurrected a 7-year old thread. KingOfGreen hasn't been active on the site for long time.

McLovin
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Novice

Post by McLovin » July 6th, 2016, 8:53 am

Link to the requested KOG renovation thread:

http://aroundtheyard.com/northern/kog-l ... -t704.html

lawndad

Post by lawndad » July 22nd, 2016, 7:58 am

kingofgreen wrote:Hello all
I just wanted to take a second and give a BIG THANK YOU to Mallory (Bestlawn). Last June I made a decision to renovate my so-so lawn with a elite KBG. Mallory was instrumental in helping me select cultivators to fit my requirements and also eased the pain when it came to killing off my old lawn and start from scratch.Your thoughts and personal attention were greatly appreciated. As she always says patients is absolute imperative when growing these cultivators and now everything she said is coming true. The blue tint with a little sparkle is just like you said,the "filling in" is really amazing, I couldnt be happier !! Thank you

Thank you to Andy, who took the time to whip up one of his "magic potions" and made my lawn really thrive this spring after all the rust issues during the renovation and slow growth. Who would of thought a little soap would go such a long way!! LOL. Your "soil knowledge" is truly amazing and greatly appreciated.

Finally to GaryCinChicgao who has been my wing man of this whole renovation. Sense last April Gary has endured countless rantings and ramblings from me about the renovation and has always responded with encouraging thoughts and a wealth of knowledge. Greatly appreciated bud

To everyone else on these forums, MorphousPA, Abyss,Turftoes, Bpgreen, Mishmosh,DCHall and everyone else that has helped me along the way thank you very much for taking the time to share your expertise with me.

Here we are today an Elite KBG lawn of Boutique, Midnight and Prosperity with a touch of Bedazzled

Looks great and I agree, everyone on here is great! A huge find for me even though I'm an intermediate. ;)

Sent from my iOS device using the Yard Help App.

lawndad

Post by lawndad » July 22nd, 2016, 7:59 am

kingofgreen wrote:Hello all
I just wanted to take a second and give a BIG THANK YOU to Mallory (Bestlawn). Last June I made a decision to renovate my so-so lawn with a elite KBG. Mallory was instrumental in helping me select cultivators to fit my requirements and also eased the pain when it came to killing off my old lawn and start from scratch.Your thoughts and personal attention were greatly appreciated. As she always says patients is absolute imperative when growing these cultivators and now everything she said is coming true. The blue tint with a little sparkle is just like you said,the "filling in" is really amazing, I couldnt be happier !! Thank you

Thank you to Andy, who took the time to whip up one of his "magic potions" and made my lawn really thrive this spring after all the rust issues during the renovation and slow growth. Who would of thought a little soap would go such a long way!! LOL. Your "soil knowledge" is truly amazing and greatly appreciated.

Finally to GaryCinChicgao who has been my wing man of this whole renovation. Sense last April Gary has endured countless rantings and ramblings from me about the renovation and has always responded with encouraging thoughts and a wealth of knowledge. Greatly appreciated bud

To everyone else on these forums, MorphousPA, Abyss,Turftoes, Bpgreen, Mishmosh,DCHall and everyone else that has helped me along the way thank you very much for taking the time to share your expertise with me.

Here we are today an Elite KBG lawn of Boutique, Midnight and Prosperity with a touch of Bedazzled

Looks great and I agree, everyone on here is great. A huge find for me even though I'm an intermediate. ;)

Sent from my iOS device using the Yard Help App.

kellyinportlandia
Grass Type: None currently

Post by kellyinportlandia » August 24th, 2016, 5:10 pm

McLovin wrote:Link to the requested KOG renovation thread:

http://aroundtheyard.com/northern/kog-l ... -t704.html
Thanks McLovin!!