Tenacity vs Poa Trivialis: Your Results

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
jglongisland
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Tenacity vs Poa Trivialis: Your Results

Post by jglongisland » September 9th, 2012, 10:18 am

Lately I've switched to mixing at 1/2 the desired rate and doing two passes perpendicular to each other for anything that is very sensitive/precise. I just works better (for me).

Billybob
Grass Type: TTTF

Post by Billybob » September 9th, 2012, 1:11 pm

Going perpendicular u obviously walk on the chemical. I wear sneakers, want to make sure I don't track through house. I do take them off in garage but what do u use to clean them besides rinse with water?

jglongisland

Post by jglongisland » September 9th, 2012, 1:17 pm

I have separate shoes (LawnGrips) that never leave the room off the garage. I hose them down after each wearing.

Billybob

Post by Billybob » September 9th, 2012, 1:24 pm

Where do you buy them? Shoe store or garden center?

eriocaulon
Grass Type: KBG(midnight/moonlight), TTTF (summerlawn), RSBG (Winterplex, SabreIII)

Post by eriocaulon » September 9th, 2012, 1:54 pm

For muck boots, check out the Bog's Journey. I have them and they are great.

jglongisland

Post by jglongisland » September 9th, 2012, 2:04 pm

Just google lawn grips. They aren't as sturdy as some other footware but they really do have great traction on grass, even when wet. 2/3 of my lawn is on a hill, they have saved my _ss quite a few times.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

mattya
Grass Type: Bewitched, Prosperity, Moonlight SLT

Post by mattya » September 9th, 2012, 3:18 pm

Hmm, I never think of any of this stuff. I walk all through it and the house.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » September 9th, 2012, 3:20 pm

mattya wrote:Hmm, I never think of any of this stuff. I walk all through it and the house.
So do I. I can't imagine that there's more than a trace on my shoes, although those shoes ARE outside shoes only as I also get grass and assorted bits and pieces on them.

Still, I do meander in wearing them while working.

Billybob

Post by Billybob » September 9th, 2012, 3:39 pm

I do have muck boots. I am an electrician and we do quite a bit of outside work in muddy trenches. They may look a little funny wearing them in summer with shorts. Maybe I will pick up low tops

gryd
Grass Type: Elite Kentucky Bluegrass
Level: Experienced

Post by gryd » September 9th, 2012, 3:45 pm

I agree with others that it is a multi-year process. Sometimes I hit hard with Tenacity, sometimes I'll remove the entire area and let the kbg fill in. Sometimes I pull out the steel rake to stop runners from spreading and to set it upright for a Tenacity beating! Vigilance and keeping after it is the key. As eriaculon once said, "we'll probably always have some triv among us".

schreibdave
Grass Type: Bewitched, Award and Rhapsody
Level: Experienced

Post by schreibdave » September 9th, 2012, 6:37 pm

I am doing 1tsp in 4 gallons, waiting for patches to turn white, then pulling it out by hand. I have repeated this process in my front yard maybe 4 weeks in a row. I then seeded the large bare spots.

In terms of pulling it out, I use my fingers to try to get under all the horizontally growing stolons and blades. I also use a metal leaf rake and a small one-hended claw looking rake. Spray, rake, spray, rake. Repeat. Is it anywhere near a permanent solution? I dont know, ask me late next spring.

sc4dr
Grass Type: Blueberry / Bewitched KBG - Bullseye, Hemi, Magellan TTTF

Post by sc4dr » September 9th, 2012, 11:14 pm

Drinyth wrote:1 tsp in 2 gallons is actually what I'd consider full rate (4 oz. / acre). Many folks (myself included) only use 1/2 tsp per 2 gallons.

As far as how much to actually put down, you really need to calibrate your sprayer and see how much liquid goes over a given area at your sprayers output and your own walking speed. That's really the only way to know as every sprayer is a little bit different and dependent on tank pressure and what not. Once you have your sprayer calibrated, you'll know how much product you're applying.

I typically don't go over a spot twice unless I'm mixing at half my intended rate. Otherwise, making two passes over the same area at my target strength is really putting down 2x as much product as desired.

Maximum for Tenacity, I believe, is 16 fl. oz. / acre annually. That's the manufacturer's recommendation and what they deem to be safe in accordance with their testing.
Just to clarify. 1 tsp in 2 gallons is roughly 8 oz./acre which is full strength. 16 oz/acre is max for 1year

mattya
Grass Type: Bewitched, Prosperity, Moonlight SLT

Post by mattya » September 9th, 2012, 11:16 pm

sc4dr wrote:
Drinyth wrote:1 tsp in 2 gallons is actually what I'd consider full rate (4 oz. / acre). Many folks (myself included) only use 1/2 tsp per 2 gallons.

As far as how much to actually put down, you really need to calibrate your sprayer and see how much liquid goes over a given area at your sprayers output and your own walking speed. That's really the only way to know as every sprayer is a little bit different and dependent on tank pressure and what not. Once you have your sprayer calibrated, you'll know how much product you're applying.

I typically don't go over a spot twice unless I'm mixing at half my intended rate. Otherwise, making two passes over the same area at my target strength is really putting down 2x as much product as desired.

Maximum for Tenacity, I believe, is 16 fl. oz. / acre annually. That's the manufacturer's recommendation and what they deem to be safe in accordance with their testing.
Just to clarify. 1 tsp in 2 gallons is roughly 8 oz./acre which is full strength. 16 oz/acre is max for 1year

It depends on how far those 2 gallons go. If it's over 2k sq ft, that's 4oz/acre ish.

Drinyth
Grass Type: KBG - Award, Bewitched, Kingfisher

Post by Drinyth » September 9th, 2012, 11:25 pm

I go so far as to explain that you need to calibrate your sprayer and then throw it out there that 1 tsp for 2 gallons is 4 oz. acre without saying anymore. :banghead:

I should have said for me, 1 tsp for 2 gallons would end up being 4 oz. acre as I aim to spray 1 gallon per 1k sq. ft. Good catch, mattya.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by andy10917 » September 9th, 2012, 11:42 pm

I'm beginning to wonder if there are ANY threads on the site that don't wind up being Tenacity dosing questions...

sc4dr
Grass Type: Blueberry / Bewitched KBG - Bullseye, Hemi, Magellan TTTF

Post by sc4dr » September 10th, 2012, 11:37 pm

Sorry, but there are a Ton of newbies buying tenacity, and it makes it confusing when there are so many dosing variations being thrown around. Getting the concentration correct per gallon is huge. How fast you walk, or what tips you use, or how much pressure you are using are all factors too. But for the novice, knowing what part tenacity to what part water is half the battle. Once the mixture is correct it needs to be sprayed just enough to coat the leaf tissue without being to the point of runoff.

I only posted this to help any newcomers that Might be confused, like the guy who stopped his car tonight when I was spraying tenacity on my hell strip. He was excited to hear what I was spraying, and wants to buy some. I warned him it was tricky, and he needed to read the label in detail. I have neighbors who also want to buy some now. It's only getting bigger

Jeff508
Grass Type: KBG, Northern Mix

Post by Jeff508 » September 11th, 2012, 4:21 am

Tenacity max application rate is 16 fl ounces per acre per year. This is equivalent to 2.2 tsp per 1K sq ft per year or only 2 applications per year at recommended label rate.

Does anybody know what bad things happen if you apply too much?

NiciPicki
Grass Type: Elite KBG: Award, Moonbeam, Prosperity

Post by NiciPicki » September 11th, 2012, 11:49 am

2 applications at a high rate, sure. However, some folks have reported success with multiple low-dose applications. I've seen 2 oz/acre quoted, which would give you 8 apps. Someone with more experience than I would have to comment on any advantages of doing an 8 oz/acre dose.

paulr
Grass Type: Northern Mix

Post by paulr » September 11th, 2012, 11:58 am

andy10917 wrote:I'm beginning to wonder if there are ANY threads on the site that don't wind up being Tenacity dosing questions...
Once again, Andy comes up with another one for my Sig. :D

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by andy10917 » September 11th, 2012, 12:23 pm

Getting the concentration correct per gallon is huge. How fast you walk, or what tips you use, or how much pressure you are using are all factors too.
I agree and disagree. The answer is actually incredibly simple, but people complicate it by injecting variables into the equation that are not really variables.

Here is the simplicity: Apply a specific amount of the product to 1000 sq ft. I don't care (nor does the product) whether you walk, run, crawl, stand on your head or apply it by crop duster. Determine the amount of product to be applied (dosage) at a reasonable dilution (easy) and apply it.

Anything else is a user decision. Whether it is better to apply the 4 oz/acre dose once in a week or 2 oz/acre twice a week is conjecture.