Bought a new Lesco 50lb spreader, HELP

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
sony1998
Grass Type: northern mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Bought a new Lesco 50lb spreader, HELP

Post by sony1998 » June 19th, 2012, 6:00 pm

fmzip That's good to know about the Mag-i-cal. Thanks for the trial and error. I will update my list. I did not have to use lime this year. The last time I spread Magical was with a Scotts Edgeguard. You will start to see nice results by getting your PH in line.

Just to confirm. You were putting down 9lbs/k of the Magical. I think that was from the other thread.

Now remember no synthetic fert (if you were thinking about it) for 2 weeks and a good rain storm. Organics can go down now or any time you like. No waiting period like synthetics.

I don't know if you are around the Hartford area but The Hart Seed Co. in Weathersfield has alot of the items that are talked about here. IE 0-0-50, 0-45-0, urea etc. Also there is a good feed store in Galstonbury Metzles or Menzles I think (can't recall the name).

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » June 19th, 2012, 6:10 pm

fmzip wrote:My 24.999999999999 and scale comment had a bit of sarcasm in it. I am not really sure why Gary posed the question in the first place. With 3800+ posts, it didn't seem to serve a purpose for a noob like me. A good majority of noobs wouldn't know what the bag numbers even mean. The purpose on this equation is for what, other than potential embarrassment for a noob? Not too cool IMHO.
Given that you cleared the math without nicking a heel, I'd say you were hardly a noob.
I was simply looking for the a starting point with various products with this Lesco spreader. I figured someone might have one already. Since I never used this spreader, I have not idea where to even start other than at the lowest setting. My yard has a big hill so it's not a lot of fun walking and walking.

If no one has one for reference, guess I will have to use the driveway.
Sony gave you a good edge, but if that doesn't help:

* In my experience, spreaders used to apply synthetic feeds use the mark about a quarter way to fully open. In my case, with a top notch of 15, I usually don't go past 4 with anything synthetic or otherwise concentrated. There are exceptions, like rough-ground potassium sulfate, but not usually with a well-prilled product.

* Start lower than you think you should. Having to step an area twice is preferable to overapplication, particularly in June.

* Write it down when you get the right number. I've got a lookup sheet for my particular spreader for the things I spread.

* Even two identical spreaders aren't identical. Mom and I have the same spreader but don't use the same cheat sheet.

GaryCinChicago
Grass Type: KBG

Post by GaryCinChicago » June 19th, 2012, 11:24 pm

fmzip wrote:I am not really sure why Gary posed the question in the first place.
Only because that is the basis for all applications, regardless of spreader or product being used.
Even a bag of Scotts, using a Scotts spreader, the labels settings are for 1Lb product per 1000.

If you happen to get a soil test that shows a deficiency in phosphorous, the advice might be "apply 2Lbs P per 1000. Now what? Well you figure that out the same way.
With 3800+ posts, it didn't seem to serve a purpose for a noob like me. A good majority of noobs wouldn't know what the bag numbers even mean. The purpose on this equation is for what, other than potential embarrassment for a noob? Not too cool IMHO.
My fault then. I wouldn't assume a noob to own that spreader.

It usually is the other way around for noobs, i.e. professional product in a homeowner spreader and then asking "what setting do I use?"

Sorry for the confusion.

And as for the noob part, like morph says, you passed with flying colors!

As for not having a scale that measures 24.9 pounds of product? That's easy!
The bag is 50 lbs. So just divide in half visually by filling 2 pickle buckets equally :rotfl:
Then fill the hopper and set the spreader on a low setting and walk east to west - then north to south until empty. Have a little left over? Now diagonal until empty.

fmzip
Grass Type: 1/2 yard KBG and Bentgrass on the other 1/2 of the yard

Post by fmzip » June 20th, 2012, 8:18 am

Much appreciated Gary.

As far as the scale, I am so anal, I go down to the ounces with square footage to the exact inch. I am a bit OCD which is why I am happy I found this forum!

For anyone looking for a good cheap scale, Ebay is your friend:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320907590253

fmzip

Post by fmzip » June 23rd, 2012, 8:50 pm

sony1998 wrote:fmzip That's good to know about the Mag-i-cal. Thanks for the trial and error. I will update my list. I did not have to use lime this year. The last time I spread Magical was with a Scotts Edgeguard. You will start to see nice results by getting your PH in line.

Just to confirm. You were putting down 9lbs/k of the Magical. I think that was from the other thread.

Now remember no synthetic fert (if you were thinking about it) for 2 weeks and a good rain storm. Organics can go down now or any time you like. No waiting period like synthetics.

I don't know if you are around the Hartford area but The Hart Seed Co. in Weathersfield has alot of the items that are talked about here. IE 0-0-50, 0-45-0, urea etc. Also there is a good feed store in Galstonbury Metzles or Menzles I think (can't recall the name).
I did pick up my SBM at Melzen's in Glastonbury : http://melzenfarmsupply.com/

I also found a mill store in Manchester called CCC Feeds.
The mill is right behind them. http://www.cccfeeds.com/

And yes, 9lb/k of the Mag-I-CAL

I have used the Hart seed Co before. Nice to have some places within 10 miles. JDL is right in South Windsor too.

Thanks for pointing out NOT to put down anything as I was going to drop starter in the morning!

Are your settings by setting the dial or using the individual gauges? Mine was setting the dial
Last edited by fmzip on June 23rd, 2012, 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sony1998

Post by sony1998 » June 24th, 2012, 8:53 am

I have never used the plastic gauges. I think when I bought the spreader I slipped the gauge into one of the openings just to see if the dial setting was even close. It was and have never taken it off the chain since. Maybe if I was a commercial guy and needed to be precise/or worried about cost I may use it more.

The lime and synthetic waiting period has something to do with the Urea in the fert reacting with the lime in some way. I am no chemist but I am not going to take a chance and create a toxic soup in the top layer of soil. I will wait for the time and rain and sleep soundly at night.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » June 24th, 2012, 9:48 am

It's mostly that the urea reacts badly in alkaline conditions (which you have at the surface if you just limed) and gets lost to the air. There's no toxic soup to worry about, it's just a waste of nitrogen, air pollution you don't need to be generating, and a waste of money on the urea.

Since so many fertilizers are urea based, or another nitrogen compound that will react roughly the same, we don't recommend feeding at the same time as lime. The grass won't notice, except that it isn't getting fed.

fmzip

Post by fmzip » September 11th, 2012, 3:54 pm

Another setting for you....

Lesco 0-0-7 , 15 was a bit too heavy for me, I'd suggest 14
Lesco Starter from Home Depot 18-24-12, I'd suggest the same as above

mattya
Grass Type: Bewitched, Prosperity, Moonlight SLT

Post by mattya » September 11th, 2012, 4:59 pm

Good idea with keeping track - I've got to start doing this also (for a different spreader).

sony1998

Post by sony1998 » September 11th, 2012, 9:28 pm

Thanks FMZIP for the update. Will add this to the spread sheet for future use. I saw that BIGCAT has a Lesco spreader and referred him to this thread.

I had the spreader running on all 8 cylinders this weekend. Put down Milorganite, Sulfate of Potash, some Epsom Salt, and two bags of horse pellets (spread by hand).

I was up in your neck of the woods on Sunday. Attended the mustang show at Mostly Mustangs in Manchester. I'm a Chevy guy myself but 600+ horse Rousch's and Shelbys always get the blood flowing.

Mark

fmzip

Post by fmzip » September 17th, 2014, 4:38 pm

Update

Urea 46-0-0 1lb per k, spreader setting 13

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Level: Experienced

Post by Green » September 17th, 2014, 8:14 pm

Quick question: Did those of you who bought the Lesco have to pay the inflated homeowner price? I'd like one...but the Scotts is about 1/10th the cost.

LoneRanger
Grass Type: Front/Side - Emblem, Back - Panterra V

Post by LoneRanger » September 18th, 2014, 8:10 am

I paid $420 for my 36" drop seeder at JDL. That was the cheapest I could find it anywhere.

Othertime
Grass Type: Bewitched KBG

Post by Othertime » September 18th, 2014, 8:34 am

The 50 lb lesco spreader is around 200.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

oze
Grass Type: Northern mix transitioning to Regenerating Perennial Ryegrass
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Some Experience

Post by oze » September 18th, 2014, 2:37 pm

I just returned from my local John Deere Landscape store, where I bought a bag of 46-0-0 urea. I asked him about spreader settings, and he gave me the chart below. Might come in handy for cross-referencing various spreader brands.

When I told him that I had a Scotts drop spreader, he said that they recommended using a broadcast spreader for all of their products. I may have to address that issue, but I got sticker shock when I looked at their spreaders. Nice, but wow, does a simple mechanical device cost that much? Any spreader recommendations that won't break the bank (say, $100 or so)? Thanks.

uwaeve
Grass Type: Northern Mix, some PRG-only sections

Post by uwaeve » September 18th, 2014, 2:47 pm

oze wrote:I just returned from my local John Deere Landscape store, where I bought a bag of 46-0-0 urea. I asked him about spreader settings, and he gave me the chart below. Might come in handy for cross-referencing various spreader brands.

When I told him that I had a Scotts drop spreader, he said that they recommended using a broadcast spreader for all of their products. I may have to address that issue, but I got sticker shock when I looked at their spreaders. Nice, but wow, does a simple mechanical device cost that much? Any spreader recommendations that won't break the bank (say, $100 or so)? Thanks.
I'm happy so far with my Earthway 2170, which due to a deal at zoro.com was $122 ($147 normally I think). I've heard good things about it here without a lot of complaints. It's their 100# spreader, same everything as the 2150 50# spreader except the hopper.

Eck
Grass Type: front: 2014 reno (Spyder LS, Titanium LS, Raptor II), back: transcontinental bermuda

Post by Eck » September 18th, 2014, 2:49 pm

Here's the above sheet as a PDF:

https://www.johndeerelandscapes.com/med ... andard.pdf

Thanks for posting that, looks very useful!

oze
Grass Type: Northern mix transitioning to Regenerating Perennial Ryegrass
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Some Experience

Post by oze » September 18th, 2014, 3:14 pm

Eck wrote:Here's the above sheet as a PDF:

https://www.johndeerelandscapes.com/med ... andard.pdf

Thanks for posting that, looks very useful!
Thanks! That is much more readable!

LoneRanger
Grass Type: Front/Side - Emblem, Back - Panterra V

Post by LoneRanger » September 18th, 2014, 9:12 pm

Eck wrote:... Thanks for posting that, looks very useful!
Unfortunately, it's not. Unless you're using a SGN240 size grain, it means nothing. Always calibrate product in a spreader, even when using the same product again. Environment, manufacturing, and prill can change at anytime.