Bought a new Lesco 50lb spreader, HELP

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
fmzip
Grass Type: 1/2 yard KBG and Bentgrass on the other 1/2 of the yard
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Bought a new Lesco 50lb spreader, HELP

Post by fmzip » May 3rd, 2012, 10:29 am

So I ditched the Scotts rotary spreader and decided to step up and buy a better unit. I went with a Lesco 50lb spreader.

Can someone explain exactly how to calibrate this spreader? This explanation just seems cryptic to me. A youtube video would be great!:

http://www.rittenhouse.ca/asp/AboutUs.asp?LID=900061

TO ACHIEVE THE CORRECT PRODUCT APPLICATION RATE:

The approximate spreader settings printed on any product label should only be used as the initial setting for calibration. Set the rate control arm at this approximate setting. Using the collection of boxes or pans, make a single pass over them to determine the effective pattern width. The effective pattern width is twice (2x) the distance to the point where the rate drops to one-half the average rate at the center. Example: If the product in the vials from the center boxes averages two inches in depth, count out to the vial that has one inch of product. If this is the fifth vial from the center and the boxes were on one-foot centres, the effective pattern width is ten feet. (2 x 5 ft.)

Knowing the effective pattern width (ten feet), measure out a lineal distance equal to 1,000 sq ft. (10 ft x 100 ft = 1000 sq ft) Weigh 20 lbs of product and place it in the spreader hopper and spread it over the distance necessary to equal 1,000 sq ft. (100 ft) then weigh the product left in the hopper and subtract this amount from the amount with which you started. The result is the application rate for this product in pounds per 1,000 square feet that your spreader is currently adjusted to disperse. Adjust the rate control arm up or down as needed and repeat this procedure until the correct application rate is achieved.

TO USE THE LESCO CALIBRATION GAUGES:

The LESCO Calibration Gauges provide a series of "steps", numbered in 1/32-inch increments, which will allow you to fine-tune the LESCO spreader. Once you have calibrated your LESCO rotary spreader for the product chosen, open the operating lever and insert the calibration gauges until you determine which step fits tightly into one of the open holes in the hopper bottom. Record that step number for future reference when using that product. You may choose to set other LESCO rotary spreaders for application of the same product by adjusting the shutoff plate to that calibration gauge step. This will provide consistent settings for all of your LESCO spreaders. To recalibrate your Lesco rotary spreader after a period of use, adjust the rate control arm to the "24" position. Open the operating lever and insert even-numbered LESCO Calibration Gauge into one of the open holes in the hopper bottom. Close the operating lever and let the shutoff plate on the underside of the hopper make contact with the number ten step on the Lesco Calibration gauge. Move the rate control arm back toward the "6" position until he bottom of the arm makes contact with the shutoff plate. If your spreader is properly adjusted, the top of the rate control arm should be at setting "9". To correct variances, remove the rate control arm, place the bottom of the arm (up to the bolt hole) in a vice, and bend either to the right or the left.

So I guess my first question is this. I assembled this unit for the first time. Can I assume it's fine out of the box and calibrated correctly? If not I set it to 24, open up the hopper, put the #10 step gauge in the hole. Close the hopper, then move the rate control arm to 6 with the #10 gauge still inserted? If I just set it to 6 how would it then be at 9? HELP

Also, are the step gauges supposed to match the arm numbers? Meaning if I set it to 24 and put a #24 guage in it it should be spot on?

xxryu139xx
Grass Type: Elite KBG: Emblem/NuGlade/Bedazzled

Re: Bought a new Lesco 50lb spreader, HELP

Post by xxryu139xx » May 3rd, 2012, 11:00 am

"calibrated" is a relative term, meaning it depends on what you intend on spreading. smaller material will require a lower setting while larger material will need a higher setting. basically, you will have to calibrate the spreader for each particular material you intend to spread and note/memorize that setting.

you will only have to really calibrate for stuff that need accuracy such as pre-emergents and synthetic fertilizers. lots of threads here explaining how to calibrate any spreader.

fmzip

Post by fmzip » May 3rd, 2012, 11:27 am

So if I use Lesco products in it like Dimension 0-0-7 for example and it says to set it to 12, just run with it?

As I am new to this particular forum, I can't seem to find these threads you are referring to. I used the search function and typed "calibrate" and "calibration" in the cool grass forum and came up with nothing with a step by step.

xxryu139xx

Post by xxryu139xx » May 3rd, 2012, 11:44 am

lotsa work way from your post:

Knowing the effective pattern width (ten feet), measure out a lineal distance equal to 1,000 sq ft. (10 ft x 100 ft = 1000 sq ft) Weigh 20 lbs of product and place it in the spreader hopper and spread it over the distance necessary to equal 1,000 sq ft. (100 ft) then weigh the product left in the hopper and subtract this amount from the amount with which you started. The result is the application rate for this product in pounds per 1,000 square feet that your spreader is currently adjusted to disperse. Adjust the rate control arm up or down as needed and repeat this procedure until the correct application rate is achieved.

lazy man way but lots of walking way:
1. weigh out set product u want to use for the area
2. set spreader to lowest setting (or small enough at least the product can fit through the hopper)
3. make multiple passes until u run out of product.

fmzip

Post by fmzip » May 3rd, 2012, 2:03 pm

xxryu139xx wrote:
lazy man way but lots of walking way:
1. weigh out set product u want to use for the area
2. set spreader to lowest setting (or small enough at least the product can fit through the hopper)
3. make multiple passes until u run out of product.
"Lazy man" does not equal lots of walking

What is the correct way?

GaryCinChicago
Grass Type: KBG

Post by GaryCinChicago » May 3rd, 2012, 11:24 pm

Before we load the spreader with product or calibrate it, let's first do a little quick quiz first.

You are going to apply a bag of 24-4-8 w/ 5% Fe fertilizer to your lawn.
Your lawn is 6,000 ft2
You want to apply 1 Lb of nitrogen per 1000 ft2.

Q. How many pounds of fertilizer do you need for this lawn?

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Post by bpgreen » May 4th, 2012, 12:50 am

GaryCinChicago wrote:Before we load the spreader with product or calibrate it, let's first do a little quick quiz first.

Your lawn is 6,000 ft2

I used a similar example when my daughter was complaining that the math she was studying had no practical application and shed never user it after she got out of school.

She looked at me, shrugged and said she'd just plant grass that's supposed to grow in Utah like I did. Then she wouldn't need to use any fertilizer.

xxryu139xx

Post by xxryu139xx » May 4th, 2012, 2:34 am

don't doubt the lazy man method. its excellent for us small lawn owners. it beats doing calibration per product.

u want the correct method? u posted it already and i re-quoted it for u.
1. go outside and measure out a 10 x 100 ft area. that's right get a meters stick, a professional measuring tool or whatever u can find. mark it out. paint it on the driveway. note landmarks. you will have to use that space several times for the different products you will be using with your spreader. it would be nice if u have a drop cloth that can cover the whole area.
2. weigh 20 lbs of product and put it in the hopper.
3. set to lowest setting and walk to the end of the area with the hopper open
4. sweep up the stuff off the area if u don't have a drop cloth, and weigh it. the stuff weighs .25 lbs. so u note for that setting its rate will be .25 lbs/1000 sq.ft.
5. oh wait u want to drop 1 lb/1000 sq.ft, u up the setting, dump all the stuff back into hopper and repeat the whole process until u get close to your desired rate.

for me this process is a pain in the [banned word]. not everything weighs the same and are different sizes. the spreader setting will vary for urea, pre-emergent, and larger grains. for your lawn, sure, this may save you more walking in the long run, but for me no. hence, why we small lawnowners prefer the lazy man method. i'd rather set to the lowest setting and walk around doing multiple passes than walk up and down my driveway looking like an idiot spreading stuff on asphalt and sweeping crap off my driveway to do it all over again.

I hope you are not intending to just load up your spreader with fertilizer and rely on the calibration to spread the "correct" amount of stuff. that's a broadcast spreader and its far from accurate doing it that way all dependent on how well and consistent the space between your passes are.

schreibdave
Grass Type: Bewitched, Award and Rhapsody
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by schreibdave » May 4th, 2012, 10:28 am

I have the same spreader and I went through the process in the instructions to balance the output from left to right. To calibrate the setting to put down the right quantity I have loaded it up with the proper quantity of material, then walked around guestimating whether I should open it a little or close it a little. Obviously with synthetics you want to start low and creep up. I keep written notes right on the spreader as to what setting to use. Seems to work ok. It's only an issue when I use synthetics. With Milo I just set it wide open and go. When I put down 0-0-50 and 0-45-0, I think I set it somewhere between 8-10.

bernstem
Grass Type: Front: Solar Eclipse/Award/Bewitched/Moonlight SLT/Prosperity Back: Solar Eclipse Monostand + Bewitched (shade)

Post by bernstem » May 4th, 2012, 10:49 am

The problem with spreader settings is that how much you lay down depends on things other than the spreader. How fast you walk will affect spread pattern and rate of application. The fertilizer is pulled through by gravity. It will drop the same amount in 30 seconds regardless of how fast you walk. If you walk twice as fast, you will apply half as much per 1k sq ft. How much you overlap your passes will also affect application rate. 100% overlap will apply more per area than 50% overlap.

GaryCinChicago

Post by GaryCinChicago » May 4th, 2012, 10:17 pm

You-hoo .... fmzip!

GaryCinChicago wrote:Before we load the spreader with product or calibrate it, let's first do a little quick quiz first.

Your lawn is 6,000 ft2

bernstem
Grass Type: Front: Solar Eclipse/Award/Bewitched/Moonlight SLT/Prosperity Back: Solar Eclipse Monostand + Bewitched (shade)

Post by bernstem » May 4th, 2012, 10:36 pm

For another discussion of spreaders, calibration and how to measure and spread fertilizer check out this thread: http://aroundtheyard.com/southern/bermuda-t7118-20.html The link will take you to page 2. About halfway down is where spreaders and fertilizer numbers are discussed.

fmzip

Post by fmzip » June 19th, 2012, 11:57 am

GaryCinChicago wrote:You-hoo .... fmzip!

Your lawn is 6,000 ft2

Lost track of this thread.

I am new to this but I would simply read the bag and go the lazy man route. If the 24-4-8 bag says it covered 5000sq ft for example and I needed 6000, I would divide the bag weight by 5000 then multiply that number by 6000.

But if I were to get more mathematical, I know the first number on the bag is nitrogen which represents 24% of the total product per 1000 sq ft.

So if I divide 1 lb by .24 I get 4.166666666666666666666666666666666666

Then multiply that x 6= 24.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 lbs?

I don't have a scale to accurately measure this, what should I do??????

So my question to YOU, what number setting should I set my Lesco 50lb spreader to use this 24-4-8 fertilizer? ;)

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » June 19th, 2012, 12:13 pm

Given that 4 and 24 pounds respectively are more than close enough, and that 3.5 to 4.5 and 21 to 27 pounds respectively would be just fine, it's a lot easier.

The simplest thing to do is wing it for the first thousand square feet, putting 4 pounds in the spreader and setting the thing about where you think it should be. See how it goes. Or measure your driveway and use that (sweep or blow it into the lawn or gardens afterward to avoid releasing N right into the storm drains) if you'd rather not risk being very high (very low doesn't matter, just go over it twice).

fmzip

Post by fmzip » June 19th, 2012, 12:40 pm

My 24.999999999999 and scale comment had a bit of sarcasm in it. I am not really sure why Gary posed the question in the first place. With 3800+ posts, it didn't seem to serve a purpose for a noob like me. A good majority of noobs wouldn't know what the bag numbers even mean. The purpose on this equation is for what, other than potential embarrassment for a noob? Not too cool IMHO.

I was simply looking for the a starting point with various products with this Lesco spreader. I figured someone might have one already. Since I never used this spreader, I have not idea where to even start other than at the lowest setting. My yard has a big hill so it's not a lot of fun walking and walking.

If no one has one for reference, guess I will have to use the driveway.

sony1998
Grass Type: northern mix

Post by sony1998 » June 19th, 2012, 2:19 pm

Here we go. I also have the Lesco 50# spreader and its been trial and error for me to get the settings correct for the various products I use. Specifically most of the stuff does not have a Lesco setting on it and if it does its the older model with a letter not a number and I have never found a conversion chart for it. Maybe you can ask your local Lesco dealer if they have a conversion chart. I see a lot of bags with the Lesco letter but not the Lesco #. My dealer did not have the conversion chart.
This is what I have so far and I have to warn you that for you it may be different based on your walking speed, overlap, etc.

Soy Bean Meal 15lbs/k setting #26
GrubEX 2.87lbs/k setting #13.3
0-45-0 2lbs/k setting #13.5
Saw dust from agway does not go through it
Lilly Miller Moss Out 3lbs/k setting #10.5
0-0-50 mixed with Epsom Salt 2lbs and 1lb per 1000 setting #14
Fine Screened cracked corn from Agway 10lbs/k setting #25.5
Dimension 0-0-7 .17% 5.28lbs/k setting #14
Milorganite 6-2-0 50lb bag 17lbs/k setting #24

50-0-0 Urea 2.2lbs/k do not have setting yet
Johnathan Green Mag-i-cal 9lbs/k do not have setting yet

I like the spreader. So much better than the Scotts it replaced. Just keep the axles greased and hose it off after each use. I also put a foam piece on the front painted "bumper" so it would not get scratched when I turn it over to dry it after washing.

Remember the above is just a start. There are not a lot of people on the site that have the Lesco. A few speak about it but not a lot.

Also I do not think Gary's example was meant to embarras. It is exactly at the heart of understanding what you need to know in calibrating a spreader. Around here most of the time its a learning experience. You will not be spoon fed an answer and there are always several different ways to get the same result.

Keep us up to date on how this goes. I for one am interested in your experience with this spreader.

fmzip

Post by fmzip » June 19th, 2012, 2:43 pm

Thanks Sony!

I will be putting down some MAG-i-Cal shortly so maybe I can add to this list!

snachs

Post by snachs » June 19th, 2012, 4:26 pm

sony1998 wrote:
Soy Bean Meal 15lbs/k setting #26
GrubEX 2.87lbs/k setting #13.3
0-45-0 2lbs/k setting #13.5
Saw dust from agway does not go through it
Lilly Miller Moss Out 3lbs/k setting #10.5
0-0-50 mixed with Epsom Salt 2lbs and 1lb per 1000 setting #14
Fine Screened cracked corn from Agway 10lbs/k setting #25.5
Dimension 0-0-7 .17% 5.28lbs/k setting #14
Milorganite 6-2-0 50lb bag 17lbs/k setting #24

50-0-0 Urea 2.2lbs/k do not have setting yet
Johnathan Green Mag-i-cal 9lbs/k do not have setting yet
Awesome crypt sheet. I've been too lazy to do this with my earthway so I end up winging it each time. Would love a list like this for the 2050.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

fmzip

Post by fmzip » June 19th, 2012, 4:35 pm

Mag-I-CAL:

Worked 4 separate measured 2300 sq ft areas, started at 10, too light. 14 too light.....

Setting 16 worked for me.

I will keep adding for reference as time goes on

Michael Wise
Grass Type: Tifway 419

Post by Michael Wise » June 19th, 2012, 4:54 pm

snachs wrote:Awesome crypt sheet. I've been too lazy to do this with my earthway so I end up winging it each time. Would love a list like this for the 2050.
My 2150 always seems to work out to:

Any organic fertilizer = Wide Open

Everything else = 13

:rotfl: But seriously, it does.