Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
simpson
Grass Type: moonlight slt
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Lawn nose dive

Post by simpson » August 9th, 2009, 12:01 pm

I found this hope it helps some.

It seems that the colder than normal winter combined with the lingering cool spring increased winterkill more than typical seen on Bluegrass. The problem seems to be worse on turf installed within the last two years.

Any condition that resulted in a turf area going into the fall/winter stressed may worsen winterkill. So, a dry area (perhaps due to poor irrigation coverage), compacted soil, excessively saturated soils, or site previously weakened by disease or insects may have caused the damage to be worse.

Winterkill is often erratic with total devastation in one area and minor injury in nearby areas. In addition to previously mentioned stresses, damage may be variable due to fertilization practices, amount of shade, soil type, thatch levels, elevation, and north-facing versus south-facing slope.

Jay your lawn did go into winter stressed from the rust problem.

kingofgreen
Grass Type: Elite KBG

Post by kingofgreen » August 9th, 2009, 12:13 pm

are you taking any preventative steps to head off a recurrence this year ?
I have applied fungus control twice this season,will that help ?

No greasy feel to those dark spots,from a distant the spots look dark but up close it looks like dead grass.
I will take some pictures and have them posted shortly
But, if you are saying that the lawn hasn't received any water (manual or rainfall) in two weeks, it makes it less likely to be a lawn fungi. I'm hoping this is the case, as dormancy is a lot easier to deal with than a lawn disease.
Lawn hasn't received any manual watering all season. I`m watering a small section right now for a test

I`ll be back with pictures,thanks everyone for there help. :clapping:

kingofgreen

Post by kingofgreen » August 10th, 2009, 12:32 am

OK gang here we are today prior to the 1 inch of watering.After I watered all day I did notice a difference,

GaryCinChicago
Grass Type: KBG

Post by GaryCinChicago » August 10th, 2009, 12:40 am

kingofgreen wrote:After I watered all day
You need to clarify this.
You watered all 10,000 sq. ft and doing so took all day?
Or you watered a section for testing, all day in that same spot?

Bestlawn

Post by Bestlawn » August 10th, 2009, 1:35 am

I know that's right, Gary!
Please, KG, tell us what that means.

Also, please describe the pictures. Actually, it really doesn't matter to me. I'd still feel better if you took samples to be diagnosed following their sampling instructions. It doesn't look so water-soaked anymore, and I know you said it didn't feel greasy, but I still have to wonder why your lawn would become drought stressed in spots and streaks like that and why it is brown in the same manner. Your hope and my hope (that it's not pythium) won't do you any favors, and I am familiar with pythium responding well (looks wise) to water even though the water makes it spread.

jglongisland

Post by jglongisland » August 10th, 2009, 6:59 am

Here's a thought, perhaps that dead grass is dead poa. Around this time last year (actually 2-3 weeks later), it seemed like 25% of my lawn had died. It was most of (but not all; areas that go some shade were still going strong) my poa dying. Perhaps the dark areas are/were the KBG getting stressed while those brown patches are dead poa.

kingofgreen

Post by kingofgreen » August 10th, 2009, 4:30 pm

GaryCinChicago wrote:
kingofgreen wrote:After I watered all day
You need to clarify this.
You watered all 10,000 sq. ft and doing so took all day?
Or you watered a section for testing, all day in that same spot?

Sorry, I watered the entire lawn yesterday. Looks better today,I`ll post some pictures tonight

kingofgreen

Post by kingofgreen » August 10th, 2009, 11:59 pm

Here are a few updated pictures from this afternoon.The sun was hot and the air was very humid today. The lawn seemed to wake up with the big drink of water yesterday.Silly question but would water make such a difference so quickly.

I only had a few minutes of lawn time today...the lawn in some spots seem very thacthy. When i get on my hands and knees i can almost stand the grass up to 6-7 inches. Color is greenish brown and tangled, pulled right out of the lawn like a clump of hair.

JG
I`m leaning that way to, of the POA dying off. The heat has really got cranking over here.

i also bought a rain gauge so I can have some accurate readings of rainfall...http://www.amazon.com/P3-P0320-Rain-Gau ... _rhf_p_t_2

kingofgreen

Post by kingofgreen » August 11th, 2009, 12:20 am

Bestlawn wrote:Are you ready for this? I really, really, REALLY! hate to be the bearer of bad news, but those don't look like drought stress to me. They look like something entirely different.

You don't know how badly I want to be wrong, and I'm sure you want me to be wrong too. The best thing to do is head for your nearest plant pathology lab. You can send them pictures in advance and they can likely identify it from those, but then take samples for diagnosis to be certain.
I would still like to do this, its only 15.00. Should i just sent them a few samples of the bad areas of grass or a few samples threw out the lawn ?

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.

Post by turf_toes » August 11th, 2009, 7:51 am

nice turn around KOG.

Yup. That, apparently, was simply drought stress.

The good news is that you now know the signs to look for (for drought stress). If you keep pushing the lawn like that, the grass will learn to grow a deeper root system and it will, with time, become better able to handle stress.

It is important thought to remember that you shouldn't let the lawn go dormant for the first two years. So, if it starts looking stressed, give it some water. After the 2nd year of this routine, the lawn will better be able to handle going dormant without dying.

Bestlawn

Post by Bestlawn » August 11th, 2009, 9:21 am

The affected grass, but call the lab in the link to ask specifically about their sampling instructions.

kingofgreen

Post by kingofgreen » August 12th, 2009, 12:38 am

Gary after we talked...what do you think of the first picture of this thread and the last? Both are the same shot one with out water, and the second is after the 1inch of watering

talldesk

Post by talldesk » August 12th, 2009, 9:53 pm

KOG, looks good again. At what height do you mow? They look much taller than 3 inches. Your grass is elite stuff, I am wondering whether mowing too high (say taller than 4 inches) could invite disease.

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.

Post by turf_toes » August 12th, 2009, 10:09 pm

I keep my own lawn at 4.25 for most of July and August and I don't have any problems with fungi. Of course, my renovation is going into it's fifth year. (so it's a pretty mature stand now).

jglongisland

Post by jglongisland » August 12th, 2009, 10:21 pm

I brought mine down to 3 inches from 3.5 after I had all sorts of problems with unknow fungi in May/June.

kingofgreen

Post by kingofgreen » August 12th, 2009, 11:16 pm

talldesk wrote:KOG, looks good again. At what height do you mow? They look much taller than 3 inches. Your grass is elite stuff, I am wondering whether mowing too high (say taller than 4 inches) could invite disease.

Hi talldesk.
When mowing with my tractor, my highest setting is 3.75 inches, that is what I use all season. I normally mow when the lawn gets to 5 or so inches. In those pictures the lawn was ready for a mowing but I havent been able to get home in time.

I`ve read and heard that these elite KBG`s like to be mowed lower, i`m just stuck on the old rule:mow at your highest setting. especially in the heat.

I think i will wait until September and then start bringing the lawn down over the months leading to winter