Wireworms?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
ddonia
Grass Type: Tall Fescue
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Wireworms?

Post by ddonia » September 21st, 2012, 4:36 pm

I have this slim, orange worm in my lawn that appears to be eating the roots. At first I thought it was grub damage but after digging, etc the only thing I found were these orange worms. Looking on line they appear to be Wireworms and they do in fact eat the roots. Has anyone experienced this pest? Any suggestions on what to use or do for treatment? Looking online suggests very few options to control this so I was hoping that someone out there might have some better suggestions. Would Dylox work? Thanks for any help/suggestions!

73Chall

Re: Wireworms?

Post by 73Chall » June 21st, 2017, 5:58 am

Resurrecting this old (ancient? ;-) post as I am definitely, without any doubt dealing with same thing (wireworms!)and looking for most cost-effective control. They are quite pronounced and now confirmed in both front and back yard areas where I have not been able to get ANY grass re-planted, since this past Feb/March (all making complete sense now...)

So far, have come up with beneficial nematodes (on which I know Nothing!) and am now looking for THE BEST, most reliable SOURCE as well as a source for whatever are the best type (species? strain?) of ben nematodes I need.

Or, all nematodes nematodes nematodes?

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by ken-n-nancy » June 26th, 2017, 8:27 pm

I've never heard of these before.

They don't seem to be a common lawn pest. Do you have a picture to share?

My first thought would be if a broad-based insecticide usually intended for grubs, such as imidacloprid, would be effective against them?

73Chall

Post by 73Chall » June 26th, 2017, 9:27 pm

If you google "wireworms" and then select photos it will bring up much better photos than I could ever post (in likely a much, much longer amount of time, sorry).

Also, same google search should bring up info on how insecticides are not effective.

For turf managers, Beneficial Nematodes are the best solution (larger scale crop farmers are not so lucky)!